Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so back I posted 'A cautionary tale' (probably in the wrong section!) about how I dropped my AN400.

The following day, the battery was dead. I removed the battery and connected my charger but to no avail. I even left it overnight but it failed to deliver any charge.

My initial assumption was that the drop had damaged the battery so I ordered a Shido Lithium-Ion replacement. The battery has a test button which shows the state of charge (Low/Medium/High) via an led light display.

I fitted the new battery and all was well. I did a 75 mile trip the next day without incident.

The following day, the battery was dead. The test button failed to light any of the indicator lights.

I again removed the battery and connected my Optimate 1 Duo charger (suitable for LI batteries) and after about 12 hours it had regained a full charge.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be 'prime suspects' for causing the battery drain or even how identify the cause?

Thanks for reading and in anticipation of some good advice.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well it's a bit of trial and error.
Clearly your battery is draining somehow since the drop (is the drop the cause or only coincidental?).
You could try charging the battery then overnight remove ONE fuse from the fusebox. Doesn't really matter which one other than you note it.
If the battery still drains, likely what the fuse controlled isn't the problem. Put that fuse back in, recharge, take out a different fuse and try again.
Hopefully..... you can then identify which circuit or series of circuits controlled by a single fuse is the culprit for the drain.
Of course it's entirely possible that even with all the fuses removed something unplanned is still draining the battery. But you have to start eliminating the possible culprits one by one.
I don't envy you this....... best of luck.
Steve.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's a bit of trial and error.
Clearly your battery is draining somehow since the drop (is the drop the cause or only coincidental?).
You could try charging the battery then overnight remove ONE fuse from the fusebox. Doesn't really matter which one other than you note it.
If the battery still drains, likely what the fuse controlled isn't the problem. Put that fuse back in, recharge, take out a different fuse and try again.
Hopefully..... you can then identify which circuit or series of circuits controlled by a single fuse is the culprit for the drain.
Of course it's entirely possible that even with all the fuses removed something unplanned is still draining the battery. But you have to start eliminating the possible culprits one by one.
I don't envy you this....... best of luck.
Steve.
Thanks Steve. A good suggestion which I would never have thought of. It could be a long process!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start by sticking a volt meter on the live side cable and see if it goes to earth
Thanks. I'm not very competent with auto electrics. However, I have a multimetre. So, if I understand your suggestion correctly, with the battery installed, if I put one probe on the positive terminal and the other to earth, if it shows a voltage then that will tell me that there's a short-circuit 'somewhere'?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Leave the battery out put the meter on ohms normally at 5 o'clock on a multimeter put the red on the positive lead and the black on frame somewhere it will give a reading if you have a short to earth.also check your trunk light hasnt got stuck on that's a common one for draining batteries

·
Registered
514 Posts
Did a quick check and the only fuses that have power on them with the ignition switch off are the main (30a) and fuse #3 meter (15a). As best I can trace out in the wiring diagram, fuse #3 meter (15a) sends power to the helmet box light under the seat, the fuel pump relay, speedometer, and ECM.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Nice Work JRoss ! OnStar can’t compete with you.

I’m glad you have a B650 too.

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
Are you locking the fork when you park? Many motorcycle owners have done this but went one click too far and put the parking light on and found a totally dead battery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you locking the fork when you park? Many motorcycle owners have done this but went one click too far and put the parking light on and found a totally dead battery.
Yes, I have been using the parking lock and had no idea that there WAS a parking light. I wonder if you have hit upon the solution?! I hope it's that easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leave the battery out put the meter on ohms normally at 5 o'clock on a multimeter put the red on the positive lead and the black on frame somewhere it will give a reading if you have a short to earth.also check your trunk light hasnt got stuck on that's a common one for draining batteries
Okay. that shows how much I know!

I set my meter to Ohms. There are various setting ranging from 200-2000-20k-200k-2m - I selected the 200.

The meter shows 1 at this point.

I then held the red probe on the positive lead and touch the black against an exposed bit of the bars. The display initially showed -1 then display some random numbers before settling on 3.4. Doesn't sound good to me but.....?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did a quick check and the only fuses that have power on them with the ignition switch off are the main (30a) and fuse #3 meter (15a). As best I can trace out in the wiring diagram, fuse #3 meter (15a) sends power to the helmet box light under the seat, the fuel pump relay, speedometer, and ECM.

View attachment 92119
Thanks for that Ross. That will narrow down the range of diagnostics if I have to get that far. I'm hoping that the suggested park light issue may be the problem though.

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
I got in the habit of turning the key all the way to the left and then 1 click back. It is not a huge click. I then walk behind where I parked and look at the tailights to make sure they are off.

I have done this twice, once on my 1967 Honda 305 SuperHawk and once on my Burgman.

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
I got in the habit of turning the key all the way to the left and then 1 click back. It is not a huge click. I then walk behind where I parked and look at the tailights to make sure they are off.

I have done this twice, once on my 1967 Honda 305 SuperHawk and once on my Burgman.
I can count of the fingers of one foot how many times I have needed those lights, if I could do it without getting out of my chair, I would disable that switch position

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
that dang tinyi trunk light can also kill a battery, best to fix it with a hammer !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It appears that the AL8 doesn't have a trunk light - at least I could find one when I looked a few moments ago.
Anyway, I have refitted the battery, made sure that the parking light isn't on, and will keep my fingers crossed that all is well tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
both ;my 08 400's had a trunk light , attached to the seat, maybe you have a different seat and no trunk light , anywhooo good riddance!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Dang..... forgot about that mistake. Been there, done that! Now do the turn to end and back "one click" on the key! It becomes an ingrained habit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just wanted to thank everyone who took the trouble to read this thread and especially to those who had technical and practical advice to offer.

I re-installed the battery yesterday evening, making sure that the parking light was activated - and this morning, the battery is still in a fully-charged state.

As has been suggested, it seems I had unknowingly left the parking light on and this had caused the battery drain. In my defence (or should that be ignorance!) I was unaware that there WAS a parking light and also, because I always leave the scooter under a protective cover, I never noticed that the light was on.

So, nothing to do with dropping the bike - which can only be a good thing.

[Apologies to those states-side, for the English spelling]

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
We only tyre of the Brit spelling of colour, favour, humour, labour and neighbour. Not sure where you get that u in those words. ;) What with the extra i in aluminum?

Reactions: JRoss
1 - 20 of 27 Posts