Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just a quick question for a little piece of mind. I had to park my 08 Burgie 650 due to lake of funds for the tag. ( hard times working for a school system these days). It's been sitting in my basement for over a year. Tried to Gwen it out the other day but of course it wouldn't crank so I put the battery charger on it for several days. Went to pull it out today and nada, not even lights. I pushed it to where I could use my car and jump it off and cranked right up. Left it hooked up to the car to try and charge up the battery but when I took off the jumper cables the Burgie quit running. Does this sound like just a dead battery or have I messed something else up by letting it sit so long without running it? Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Felix the Cat
Aka Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
sounds like the battery's dead . put a volt meter over battery or multi meter should read around 12.5volts dc if it is connect to your bike . switch on ignition if voltage drops below 11.5 you know your battery is refusing to hold any amp age and needs to be replaced ..

how ? with 12.5 showing on a lose battery with no load means very little , when you fit it to the bike and switch the ignition on you put a small load on the battery headlight ect . this will pull the voltage down quick on a bad battery ,you may see no life at all but you will see the multi meter voltage drop as you turn you ignition on...

hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The battery is probably totally dead.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
After you get a battery in it that will start it you can do a quick test to see if you have any charging system problems. Start the bike and then hook a volt meter to the battery. Rev the engine up to around 5,000 rpm. You should be reading somewhere around 15 volts at the battery terminals with the engine running at that speed.

If not you either have a bad regulator or a bad stator or both. You will need to do further test to determine which it is.

·
Registered
735 Posts
When you replace the battery buy a trickle charger ("battery tender") if you plan to let the bike sit for more than a week or 2. The surest way to kill a lead-acid battery is to let it sit for a long time. The plates undergo sulfation and there's no way to bring the battery back from the dead. Voice of experience here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most likely a bad battery with at least one dead cell. That produces insufficient voltage to arm the computer to keep the engine running. I had this same problem once and had to replace the battery. Bingo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts