Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while in a hurry to leave with some friends, I put the scooter in the garage... and apparently proceeded to leave the key in the ignition, in the on position. Obviously it is dead now. I thought it would be as easy as hooking up my battery tender jr, and watch it start charging. But unfortunately, the charger just keeps flashing red, saying it's not charging (it should stay solid red while charging). I've never had this issue, as I've only had this burgman for 2 months now. I did the same thing on my old zuma, and got it charged back up fine with the tender. Am I missing something? I looked in the manual and couldn't believe how the only thing it shows is taking the battery out... I assume I am supposed to be able to connect it to those two leads visible when the seat is open. Just in case, I took the battery cover off and tried connecting the charger directly to the battery, and it still just flashes, not charging. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
18,385 Posts
Some chargers will not charge a totaly flat battery. So what I would do is use some jumper cables and connect that bikes battery to your car/trucks battery and let it level charge for a 1/2 hour then try the Tender Jr. Just do NOT start the car/truck while jumper'ed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Tenders are for keeping a battery charged or topping it off, they won't necessarily charge one that's completely dead. Jump start it from a car and ride it a bunch to charge it and then maybe put the tender on it overnight. The car or truck that's doing the jumping does not need to be running, may not hurt it but safer to leave it off.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Maybe one of your pals as a old bog standard charger you can connect,
once you get it actually charging then your charger will work, modern charger
don't like dead flat battery's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep... I got a regular 2amp charger and charged it for 4 hours... then swapped to the battery tender. This morning it showed charged and maintaining. On a side note, while installing the permanent leads for the tender, I touched the red and black wires together on the ignition circuit and it tried turning over for about 3 seconds. That was freaky :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts