Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
Just had a Danson trike conversion added to my 08 650. Had it installed by original designer of this product Danny Johnson. Had a Potenza auto tire put on at same time. Trailered unit from Ohio to Ky. to have it installed.
The unit is beautiful but impossible to steer. Cannot keep up with other riders due to steering on curves. Am told I need a stabilizer or a triple tree.
Anyone have any experience regarding above. This unit is impossible to ride.
Had to go trike due to serious back surgery in March and was told to give up riding.
All wheels have been balanced but steering shakes at low end and again at 55 MPH plus.

Desperate in Ohio.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't have any idea of what needs to be done, but I can tell you that Goldwing trike conservations usually change the steering head to a different angle to make it steer better. This is done with an upgrade kit, not cheap, but the results are worth it. I would think that your shaking problem is in the wheels or tires somewhere, that's where I would start. Take the trike to a tire store and have then balance the new wheels and tires off the scooter on their balance machine. If all is ok there jack up the rear end off the ground, remove the wheels and tires and run it up to speed and see if the vibration is still there. This needs to be done with caution and I would recommend professional help. If it didn't vibrate before then it's something done when it was triked. Let's face it, you are spinning two large weights (tires and wheels) and all has got to be perfectly balanced.

John

·
Registered
169 Posts
Check out Ride On tire sealant. It also functions well as a tire balancer. I was skeptical, but it works. See the details on their website at ride-on.com. I believe it may help with your problem, IF IT IS TIRES THAT IS CAUSING IT!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Potenza tire on rear was balanced when tire was mounted in Ky.
The new outside tires were supposed to be balanced where unit was manufactured. THEY ARE MOUNTED ON AMERICAN RACING wheels. There are no weights on wheels. I will remove and take to a local tire shop.
I am told there is too much weight now on front of unit creating steering problem and will probably need to buy and install a triple tree.
Trying to find one on net has been difficult for this unit.
I talked to installer/inventor Danny Johnson and he told me he is unaware of any problems with Danson trike and to get front tire balanced. I did and it was perfect.
Have been told by other people who have had conversions on other motorcycle brands that steering is a problem.
Am surprised that Danson doesn't recommend steering correction(triple tree) at installation. Installation took 12 hrs. and another hour or so to take care of steering would save time, money and aggravation. This unit is virtually impossible to ride. Total cost plus installation is around $6500.00 not including travel expenses to get installed. 2008 Burgman not worth that much but had no choice due to health.
These units are manufactured in Co. and shipped to installers. Paint job was PERFECT.
Even if I get steering wobble corrected, I am sure the hard steering problem will not be corrected.
Any advice on after market triple tree for Burgman will be appreciated. Have seen some on E Bay but they are used and appear to be stock parts.
Thanks, DDW OHIO

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I personally think that the manufacture of the trike conservation should have offered this (triple tree) to you when the conservation was done at the time of purchase. Myself coming from a Goldwing and riding with several triked wings all were done when the conservation was done, thus not leaving the owner in what I would call, a 1/2 done job. It's the same as they didn't even test ride their work, they would have caught the vibration for sure, wouldn't you think.

John

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Most outrigger type kits don't want the responsibility of the risk of someone taking the kit off and leaving the raked triple tree on. A two wheeled bike handles a lot different after it has been raked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Danson conversion is virtually a permanent installion. Takes 10-12 hrs to install and some of fiberglas panels have to be cut for installation. Weighs around 200#.
Danson does not look like an add on. Tow Pacs can be taken off in a few minutes but does not have the look. They have small wheels not full size American Racing brand wheels which is on Danson. Therefore 2 wheeling would be virtually impossible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just checked price at Custom Triple Trees. Looks like $800-1000. Plus installation at what cost? This will put the cost of conversion close to $8500.00. Wow I paid $5800 for this 2008 650 in 2009.
Thanks for info.
DDW

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Just checked price at Custom Triple Trees. Looks like $800-1000. Plus installation at what cost? This will put the cost of conversion close to $8500.00. Wow I paid $5800 for this 2008 650 in 2009.
Thanks for info.
DDW
And you have learned why more of us old men don't ride trikes. Expensive!

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts