Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened. I'm a convert.

Forget about all that disappointment this and disappointment that that I wrote about yesterday. Things have changed!

The engine that felt sluggish yesterday spun like a top today. The suspension that felt hard as rocks yesterday was, well a little softer anyway. I had adjusted the rear to the softest position last night. I weigh about 160. Wifey is much less. We're just gonna leave it there.

I rode north (St. Rt. 65) out of Princeton, Indiana at around 11:30 this a., winding through the twisties to Petersburg. This bike is cool on the curves! The first thing I noticed is, if there is any counter-steering going on at all, I can't find it. The bike is simple - point and shoot. Look at where you want to be, and the bike goes there on it's own. My DR, on the other hand, is a very heavy handed counter-steerer. I picked up 56 N. when 65 ran out, and then on to 57/231. I was having such a great time that before I knew it, I was in Bloomington (remember the movie "Breaking Away"?). That was only 46 miles or so from Indianapolis, so I pointed her up 37. I came back by going west on I-70 and then was "rollin' down highway 41".

The total: 340 magnificent miles. The bride hadn't been on it yet, so when she got home from work we went out and did 30 more. It rides even better two-up. Even the headlights work right! :wink:

I picked up the bike yesterday - tomorrow it goes in for it's 600 mile service. 8) Not bad! :wink:

I also misfigured yesterdays gas mileage (by guessing before I'd actually filled it up). It was about 42mpg. Todays was 50~60.

Forget about the FJR. Forget about the Tiger. I'm a happy boy.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's the seat

Although I loved the thing from the start, even for those non-believers the thing will quickly grow on you.

Regarding comfort, I'm not sure if the issue is the suspension or the seat itself. To give you an idea of the suspension settings and what Suzuki relate them to in body+luggage weight: the number 2 setting is intended for a max weight of 130kgs or 286 pounds. The softest setting would be intended for a lower payload. I'm 165 pounds, and 182 pounds in touring gear. The girlfriend 110 pounds, and 127 in touring gear. That's already 309 pounds without the 44 pounds in luggage that we stuff under the seat for weekend camping. Total 353 pounds.

On the second softest setting, we bottomed out over bumps and grinded centre stand on bends. Changing the setting to number 4 gave a sharp turn-in, and maintained ground clearance on bends and mountain grate induced bumps.

I don't think it's the suspension that you are at odds with - it's the seat. I was horrified when I took a 650 Burger out for a one day test ride a year ago and found that my 250 Reflex was much more comfortable. The seat is far harder than an AN400 and even a GSX1400. However, you get used to it, and due to the plushness of the suspension it isn't as much of a problem as it first seems. Also, with the shove that this engine can push this machine forward, you need something definate to rest on.

My advice is to do what makes you feel most comfortable, but to have a go at running the bike on at least '2' or '3' if you are running tandem and if need be '1' when riding solo. I found it sharpened up the bike enough to allow me to go round the outside of a CBR600 rider knee-down on a open bend, with 40 pounds of luggage under the seat and girlfriend on the back.

I seriously rate this package in the league of my RC45 and brutal x11 naked.

Let us know how you go.
Lycheed

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip lycheed. I'm going to hang with stock for awhile and do some s-o-p evaluation.

Oh, and allwalk: :p :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts