Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple friends darksided their 650s I decided to try it on my 2012-650. I purchased a Federal Formosa 155/65R 14 75H from Amazon for $45.48 which included free shipping and took it to a bike shop for installation. The shop charged me $85 for installation.

So far, I have ridden 90 miles (145 km) on the new tire and I can’t tell any difference from a bike tire. I have driven divided highway, sweeping curves and 90 degree corners and the tire functions beautifully. Am I glad I went darkside, YES. Would I do it again: YES.

My Speedo on a bike tire was off from my GPS by about 9%. When traveling at 70 MPH on the GPS, the bike Speedo would register 77 MPH.

Now with a car tire when the GPS registers 70 MPH the Speedo register 74 MPH.

If you are considering going darkside on your 650, go for it.

El Charro

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
$85.00 for install? Wow. But install is the only thing holding me back, so I guess I would've taken that deal too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
$85.00 for install? Wow. But install is the only thing holding me back, so I guess I would've taken that deal too.
When I darksided my "07 650, I removed the rear tire and wheel and took to a chopper shop and they installed it for $35. It took >100psi to get it to seal. Kinda scary watching that!!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'll pump 100 PSI into it, but I've read that even with that much pressure, everything must be perfect.

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
after reading about less than 6000 miles due to stripey concrete I will definitely be going dark, hoping to get close to 30,000 or at at least 25, also hoping to learn to type before coffee.

Reactions: s-steel and Mike33

·
Registered
103 Posts
I haven't darksided myself, but have seen posts where they had to utilize some or all of the tricks to get it to seat. In no particular order:
  • Let the tire heat up in the sun
  • Lots of lubricant, ie: soapy water, WD-40 on the bead and rim
  • Ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire, middle of the tread
Hopefully DaveJ will chime in, I think he has darksided several.

Good luck and may the Force be with you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I darksided 1000km ago. Nokkian winter tire, needed 120lbs to mount. Had to remove the inner lip and lots of lube. runnng 22lbs. very happy with it, no real handling difference......will not go back

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
I haven't darksided myself, but have seen posts where they had to utilize some or all of the tricks to get it to seat. In no particular order:

I have done all those (except the WD-40) and the suns heat is most helpful. For lube I use Rylube from NAPA

I took my last 2008 rear wheel and used a very fine emory sand paper and removed the paint on the inside of the safety valley, then used a polishing wheel and a light rubbing compound to polish the valley up all the way to the tire bead area. I did not grind the metal down, just removed the uneven surface and polished it to a mirror shine.

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
agreed that sunshine did it for mine

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
  1. I would try to clean the wheel real well. The transition up out of the rims safety valley is the biggest issue. It must be clean and smooth.
  2. Use a real slippery lube for rubber, not a oil or WD-40. Link below to Concentrate. Murphy's is what I have been using.
  3. Set the tire in the sun or heat it to about 120F till its almost too hot to touch. This will not hurt the tire as it gets hotter than this while riding on a hot day.
  4. Lube up the tire AND rim while hot and put on rim.
  5. Pump up the tire to 50 PSI and let sit in the sun. I have had to wait for 3 hours. Some may use up to 100 PSI but I never have. I think the most pressure I used was 80 PSI. .
Heat, pressure and time has worked for me.

Murphy's Ultra Slippery Tire lube

BlackJack Tire lube

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Dam i wish i could darkside here
All the primitve people here never heard of such a thing when i posted it to a fb group. They laughed. Till i showed them a few videos. Then they were shocked. Those scooter tires are way overpriced and last nothing. So jealous

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
Dam i wish i could darkside here
All the primitve people here never heard of such a thing when i posted it to a fb group. They laughed. Till i showed them a few videos. Then they were shocked. Those scooter tires are way overpriced and last nothing. So jealous
not to mention the extra puncture resistance, durability overall in heat and a tiny increase in gas mileage and speedo accuracy (if you care about that kinda thing)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
for me more mileage and a good price for the tire would be enough for me
unfortunately we have to use x0* tire numbers.
I am thinking about mounting them and then for inspection change them back

·
Super Moderator
880 Posts

My $0.02
I am using my second CT on my Burgman 650. My perspective and experience is limited to what I have seen or done. Neither of my tires were particularly difficult to seat. It took about 70-75 psi to do the trick. No rim preps other than cleaning before installation. Both tires were Federal brand. The many extra miles is a real win to me. My rear tire now outlasts the front by quite a margin. The speedometer is still off. At highway speeds it reads a bit generously but knowing that ahead of time, it keeps me honest and out of trouble. No spectacular crash and burns and no loss of life for those riding or driving near me.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Im going to get another rim from a parted bike and install one. Im itching to try it. Im Tired of paying rape prices for these tires. Im not expecting great handling at all. Saw that fortnine video.
I may try it for a bit before rain season as im nervous with getting proper handling. Im also nervous with police seeing that square tire and say wth? Pull over. **** im so jealous.

Something core to me is buying things that are good value for the money. Im not a cheapo at all but I cant accept paying so much and getting little back knowing about car tires.

Like the batteries we buy too. Theyre so small and yet so expensive vs a car battery. And some battery mfr give 6 months warranty. And wouldn't you know it. Those scumbags know how to make it last 7 months perfectly.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've been DS since 2008, first on my 2006 650, then my '99 Wing, then my '12 Victory CCT, and now on my '13 Victory Vision, and will be going DS on my 2016 650 when the current tire needs replacing. I've done 1000's of miles and will never go back, the pro's far outweigh any cons.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You guys and your car tires. You are all dead men walking. And I shall be joining your ranks soon enough!

s-steel: I know you said you don't expect great handling, but from what I've read, most darksiders say they don't notice much difference in the handling. For me, I don't get my knee pucks sliding on asphalt too much on the Burgman, so I think I'll be fine. I'm chomping at the bit to try it. My rear BattleAx is almost the shape of a CT anyway as flat as it is worn in the middle.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I dont ride hard like some others ive seen. I should be ok. Ill get an extra rim and install a ct on it. But im worried regarding rain on turns/being on the edge and just losing my balance . So for peace of mind ill ride winter with a regular tire.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
When riding in the rain is when a Car tire is BEST. It does NOT slide out as easy as a motorcycle tire, at least on the 650. With a MT I could spin the back out but NEVER happens with a CT.

SNOW is even better. :p Does Cyprus get any snow???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts