Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michelin has a 165/65/14 and I was wondering if anyone has tried it on a 650. I've always run Michelins on my cars and smaller scooters but they don't make a matched pair for the 650 so I thought I might try the darkside. any thoughts would be appreciated.:D

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a Federal Formoza FD1 165/60R14 on my 650. It works great. As long as the width and diameter of the tire is close to the stock tire it should work. The FD1 is slightly bigger in diameter but I haven't experienced any rubbing. The shocks are adjusted to 4. It has also 'adjusted' the speedometer - at 70mph indicated on the speedo my GPS tells me I'm doing about 67mph. It used to be off by ~7-8 mph. 70 indicated would actually be 62-63. The odometer was correct with the stock tire but I'm sure it now is optomistic by a few tenths for every 10 miles or so.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Anyone can explain why would one want ever go to darkside. What's a point, is it considered cool or someth?

·
Administrator
20,109 Posts
Michelin has a 165/65/14 and I was wondering if anyone has tried it on a 650. I've always run Michelins on my cars and smaller scooters but they don't make a matched pair for the 650 so I thought I might try the darkside. any thoughts would be appreciated.:D
http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/michelin/165%252F65-14+michelin+energy+saver+79t+bsw.html

I have been waiting for someone to try one. It is a low rolling resistance tire so I am guessing it may be have a bit stiffer sidewall. The wet traction is said to be excellent. The 165/65 TR 14 will have the speedo almost exactly on. The "T" rating means that it is good for true 118 MPH with the full load (963 pounds) for 10 minuets. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dave I have been trying to send you a pm but there is something wrong with the site if you could send me an email at [email protected] I have a few questions before I decide whether to try the Michelin or the forenza or to convert at all. and to answer the question (Bolzen) on why after searching and reading thousands really of comments and questions on this forum about darksiding I thought it might be worth a shot 1 more tread on the road should be better stability, 2 faster stopping, 3 tread life I put a lot of miles on, when I picked up my 2012 650 with 5400 miles It looked almost like it was darksided for it had an almost 3 inch wide flat area it the middle of the tire. 4 dollars verses USABLE tread, with the engine braking on the 650 tread like is lower, I don't want to put a tire on every 4 to 5 thousand miles I know there are guys that say they get more out of there tires but on only 2 wheels I will only wear a tire half way out( I almost had the tire changed before I rode 500 miles home when I bought the scoot). definitely not to look cool like adding led lighting simply to get the half blind 4 wheel riders attention to keep from getting squished. Any other comments and suggestions would be appreciated still on the fence but leaning.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
That would be nice to have another model tire for us that darkside. More $ than the
Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 but still less than a MC tire. If the mileage holds up like a normal car Michelin this could be a sweet tire for us.:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well Michelin has discontinued that tire so we are back to only 2 choices. called Michelin directly and they could not find any leftovers anywhere, I told them they should take it off there website if you can't buy one!:violent1::angry6:

·
Administrator
20,109 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Look at what I just Ordered. Yes it is a STUDDED tire. I will give a review once it is here and mounted. A fellow member is running them in the Nordic Regions.
Um... No thanks. I might not be too old for a ZX-6 but I'm definitely too old to ride a bike on ice (on purpose). LOL

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Riding a bike through mountains on snowy and icy roads is something I left behind with my youth and immortality. Glad you're enjoying yourself though, Dave!

·
Administrator
20,109 Posts
Hey, I don't go out for fun when its nasty out. I must commute 41 miles to work and back. If it happens to snow, I have limped home on my Potenza and this last Dec - Jan on my Federal Formosa FD2. The Formosa has a hole in it and will not be savable so I am back on my 40,000 mile Potenza. I will run this studded tire till spring and then mount another 165/65 14 all season. I have two sets of rims so I can change out studded for all season in an hour or less. . . I would love to get a front Metzeler Feel free Wintec but they are $130 each. I will run this new Shinko I bought but may drimel some more sipes in the tread.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
symtastic, I have one on mine though I cant remember which one. If it were a warm day, you could zip up here and check it out. After the warm up period, I consider it almost equal to the BattleAxe, except I am not going to change it for a few years. Tech Art Guy was riding with me one day and said he was impressed by how it rounded when I leaned. He said I was leaning a lot but not scraping anything.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Anyone can explain why would one want ever go to darkside. What's a point, is it considered cool or someth?
Because we can. And it actually works. I'm on my first car tire and it won't be my last. For virtually the same ride and handling as the stock tire I can get around 35k miles out of one tire. Try that with any motorcycle tire.

As for cool - I gave that crap up many moons ago.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the links Dave J, onlinetires.com had the Michelin. I ordered 1 and when it shows up and I get it installed I will post what I discover and will make a run over to cincy and see Bakeisback and we can compare the 2 different darksides and if the Michelin performs better than the rest I will order another before they are all gone. Michelin had none left in there warehouses, so I think onlinetires is the only place left that has any.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Symtastic,
Even if the Michelin were slightly superior, unless you are riding 20,000 miles a year I wouldn't bother ordering a spare.

Tires deteriorate over time, even if stored in a perfect environment. As they are discontinued the ones you have found are likely already a couple years old and by the time you need to replace the compound will have hardened in your spare tire, reducing available traction and possibly to the point of having an unsafe sidewall that could crack under the lower pressure used to give the tire the ability to flex in the corners.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice, I'll check the date code when the tire shows up. I put around 15 to 20 thousand a year and hopefully going to make a cross country trip late this spring and stop and meet a lot of people from the site, maybe even taking 3 or 4 weeks depending on how many people I can catch up with to save money on lodging.:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you put 40K on in two years and the date code isn't more than a year or so old AND you like the tire, then by all means order a second one. 3 years old, if stored in a controlled environment wouldn't frighten me. (3 years by the time you put it on.)

·
Administrator
20,109 Posts
I normaly do not use "Onlinetires.com" but I do search most tire suppliers online before I drop an order. Tires-Easy (English, Tire-easy is Spanish, same company) and TireRack have been the best to deal with over the years. The Potenza I have on the bike I ordered for my 03 650 and rode it till the transmission issues showed up. It sat for about two years and then I put it with the 03 rim on my second 08 and ran another year then it again sat for 1 year till I had my blow-out on this Federal Formosa FD2. It has been back on for about 2,500 miles again. The tread is still above the wear indicators but I am having issues in heavy rains. When the new STUDDED one gets here I will dismount the Potenza and mount the new one on the 03's rear wheel. Then in the spring I will order the newest "Supercalisfragilisticexpialidocious" tire and put it on my 08's rim. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
How does it feel in the wind when you're riding on the lean, does that tire drop-off/ riding on the edge feel weird or clunky?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts