Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I’m not sure if we are at cross purposes.

I used “interference fit” as in “engineering friction fit”, rather than “interfering with fit” as you are using it (sorry if its just coincidentally the same word, hard to tell).

The stand-off gap described was motorcycle tyre on car rim - which is looser than car on m/c as darksiders are doing.

Also - Size matters! :)
Mismatched sizes/width will mate together differently. Where possible, the same tyre and rim as you are using will give the best idea.
Compression will, to some extent work for fit/against stress distribution.

When we were looking around for tyres that could take punishment at unorthodox pressures and stay on the rim it led us to bead bundles not always being round, they can be square, rhomboid (Dunlop) or trapezoid to help keep them on the rim - so there can be corners under the surface and the tyre types have a different heel radius.
While it’s unlikely it wouldn’t be good engineering to make bead alterations that line up a corner with a stress concentration, reduced material and surface abrasion (a crack propagation nursery). There is a mass of engineering in the heel, it’s best left alone.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The bead toe, which just looks like waste material has a specific job when side forces are applied and helps prevent the tyre peeling away from the flange, which would be bad - the more you peel, the harder it brakes.
This is particularly import at low pressures/air loss where it keeps the tyre agains the flange and buys extra time/safety margin.

Reducing it isn’t great but more importantly, giving it a rough surface reduces its ability to grip - which in turn prevents it from piling up material behind it to increase pressure that would normally increase grip futher.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've been meaning to add this. Daggone rear wheel and tar comes out from under there without a hitch when being smart and doing what you guys suggest.

I should add this same picture when I've got the drag slick on it. This tire had a big ole bubble in it. I guess that means it had a belt separate. It was off-center right, and shook the bike all the way to about 40 mph. Daggone motorcycle tires are DANGEROUS! 😁
20200915_181706.jpg

·
Administrator
18,919 Posts
Is your Mopar small bolt pattern?

1965 Barracuda Formula S. Thats a 275/60 14 on a large bolt pattern Cop car ralley wheel. Fits nice unless I have two people in the back seat.

Cuda3.JPG

Cuda 022.JPG

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I've been meaning to add this. Daggone rear wheel and tar comes out from under there without a hitch when being smart and doing what you guys suggest.
View attachment 91856
shh, its still a secret, you hafta only tell other people with the decoder ring who know the hand shake

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is your Mopar small bolt pattern?

1965 Barracuda Formula S. Thats a 275/60 14 on a large bolt pattern Cop car ralley wheel. Fits nice unless I have two people in the back seat.
I can't tell what your wheels or car is … they have a speck on them. You gotta clean that speck off first. Not allowed.

My wheels are factory 14" Rallye wheels. They look the same as yours. Except my factory hub caps are way gayer looking than yours and is why I immediately removed them. Yours look, decent. I have pizza cutter 215/60s on it. I've heard 245's is as wide as I can go due to the leaf springs. There will be leaf spring relocators in my future, and then HUGE MASSIVE 3' WIDE DRAG SLICKS put on it (not really). But to my advantage, I'm running an Eaton TrueTrac differential, so it get's the most out of what little rubber I have. Gonna go Friday to see if I can hit 13.999999999999 seconds. Lots of problems to deal with lately, but I think it may be ready for it. If it makes it, then the fun begins. New carb and Edelbrock RPM intake to be installed. Yahooooo! Once I get all that dialed in, I'm very much considering letting some of that funny gas slip in. Those "plates" that fit around the top of the carb are very convenient. And with my AFR gauge, I can dial in the safe power.

I took my wheel tire to a mechanic. Even he couldn't get the sumbeeatch to seat. So I "slapped" 100 psi in it, and carried it to my backyard last night. If the tire explodes, I don't care. It's a $45 tire. Went and checked it this morning and it DID looked like it got closer to popping after sitting out all night. I set it out there last night because I knew I wouldn't want to carry it out there with my work britches on this morning. And while it sits there today, hopefully the sun will beat down on it and finish it off. Otherwise, I'm putting 120 friggin psi on it and doing it again. Who's the idiot that came up with the idea to put a car tire on a motorcycle? ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can't tell what your wheels or car is … they have a speck on them. You gotta clean that speck off first. Not allowed.

My wheels are factory 14" Rallye wheels. They look the same as yours. Except my factory hub caps are way gayer looking than yours and is why I immediately removed them. Yours look, decent. I have pizza cutter 215/60s on it. I've heard 245's is as wide as I can go due to the leaf springs. There will be leaf spring relocators in my future, and then HUGE MASSIVE 3' WIDE DRAG SLICKS put on it (not really). But to my advantage, I'm running an Eaton TrueTrac differential, so it get's the most out of what little rubber I have. Gonna go Friday to see if I can hit 13.999999999999 seconds. Lots of problems to deal with lately, but I think it may be ready for it. If it makes it, then the fun begins. New carb and Edelbrock RPM intake to be installed. Yahooooo! Once I get all that dialed in, I'm very much considering letting some of that funny gas slip in. Those "plates" that fit around the top of the carb are very convenient. And with my AFR gauge, I can dial in the safe power.

I took my wheel tire to a mechanic. Even he couldn't get the sumbeeatch to seat. So I "slapped" 100 psi in it, and carried it to my backyard last night. If the tire explodes, I don't care. It's a $45 tire. Went and checked it this morning and it DID looked like it got closer to popping after sitting out all night. I set it out there last night because I knew I wouldn't want to carry it out there with my work britches on this morning. And while it sits there today, hopefully the sun will beat down on it and finish it off. Otherwise, I'm putting 120 friggin psi on it and doing it again. Who's the idiot that came up with the idea to put a car tire on a motorcycle? ;)
mine took over 100 psi, but it did seat....

·
Registered
508 Posts
I got mine up to 120 psi. Still no friggin go. Stupid CT. So yesterday I hauled it to an actual motorcycle shop and simply asked to seat it. They charge a stupid amount, but whatever. My total for just seating it ... well the amount is for mounting it, they just don't break it down further to just seating it, is something like $26 after tax. I'm so sick of fiddling with it, I'll gladly give them $26 to do it. I had this side seated and that side and the other seated, but never all sides simultaneously. If any more slick crap is added, it won't need air. It will be hydraulically pressurized.

But that was yesterday, they still haven't called me up to say it's ready. And I'm not sure I want to call them, they may try to surrender. But I would like to slap it on for the weekend. Guess I'll break down and call them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Darksiding the 1998-2006 Burgman 400 will not happen as there are no car tires in that size.
The 2007 up 400 does have a size of rim that will take a Car tires so you could do them.

The Burgman 650 will accept a few. In tire diameter size they go like this 155/60 14, 165/60 14, 155/65 14 165/65 14 and you may squeeze a 175/60 14 on but I have not tried but it is NOT RECOMMENDED as you may need modify the swing arm to fit.

My April 2015 crash of my 2008 650 was caused by a Car tire but not mine, it was off a car and hit me when I was doing 70+ MPH. :eek

I am currently running a 155/65 HR 14 (in my signature below) This is a smooth running tire and a bit taller than the 160/60 HR 14 BattleAx so my speedo is a bit more closer to exact.
It was you guys that got me hooked on ds with the 400's 13 inch rear wheel! I have an Achilles 155/80R13 on the 13" Kymco rear wheel.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Administrator
18,919 Posts
Copied from another thread.

I will, when Dave get's my CT mounted...
Sorry to say, I have not talked any one into Darksiding. I only offered up opinions on how it works for many and tips on how to do it.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
508 Posts
OK, guys. I have an update. And Dave, I know you didn't talk me into this. No worries. I just like giving you a good ribbing.

So, I've done everything I can do. My own air compressor can put about 125 psi on the tire. The tool I fabbed up didn't work. Every commercial operation that has touched it has given up. So ...

I've ordered another identical tire, it arrives Thursday. The good thing is, they're so cheap, it's not a huge deal. I also looked into the return process. It's very easy with Walmart. But it must be returned to my local store and right now it is on the wheel. So, I get a new one on Thursday, so I'll take the wheel / tire back to the local motorcycle dealer on Friday and have them exchange the tires. Hopefully the next one will pop on. There's nothing wrong with the wheel, as the tire will seat all the way around, just not all the way around simultaneously.

So that's where I am. Just for reference, I put the wheel / tire back on the bike today and road it around with ~120 psi. Just slowly around in the neighborhood, with a few drag launches to maybe 30 mph. Nothing doing. This sonofagun just will not seat. So, I'm done fighting this one, and ready to ride again. If the next one will not mount, I'll go back to a motorcycle tire.

Last thing, the bike certainly feels like it pushes around in the driveway easier with my "new" final drive. I guess that makes sense, being that the old one was grinding the teeth.

·
Registered
508 Posts
SNIPE HUNT!

OK, OK, Ok, ok, ok ... you got me. This whole darksiding thing is a big snipe hunt. And I fell for it hook, like and sinker. Good one! 😁

I took the new tire to a class 8 truck service shop and they put 190 psi on it, AND IT STILL DID NOT SEAT.

So, that's it. Snipe hunt discontinued. I shall procure a good ole motorcycle tire.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
dunno why yours didn't seat, I'll send you a pic of my snipe if you want.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What are you using for lube? I used dish detergent one time, Murphy's another, the last time I put the Achilles on the 13 inch rear wheel. Some guys use K-Y sex lube! Inthink I posted 45 to 50 psi to seat...

·
Registered
508 Posts
At 190 psi, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which lube is used.

I just ordered the Metzeler FeelFree rear tire. Will give that a 7,500 mile trial. If I don't like it after 7,500 miles, I'll put something else on it. I chose it because it's the only one I saw that appeared to have a untreaded center strip. I don't give one whit about any performance other than life. I try my best to avoid riding in rain. It happens though, I know.

As much as I wanted that $45 CT to work out, it just wouldn't.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
...the last time I put the Achilles on the 13 inch rear wheel. ..think I posted 45 to 50 psi to seat...
There is no point to comparing 2 different rim sizes.
The diameter difference for m/c v car rims isn’t consistent across different nominal inch sizes.

Some rims are a lot different and some aren’t much more than hundredth of an inch.
So some car tyre sizes can be forced on easier than others (or even slip/not hold air in some rarer sizes)

The dimensions and tolerance are in the TRA yearbook.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I'm also kinda wondering if there's not something different about your rim, tooo many other people have had success , and now you have tried 2 tires, so it aint the tire,

81 - 100 of 105 Posts