Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

Super Moderator
Once the rear tar is removed, I would imagine the weight of the front wheel/tire would keep it on the ground, no? I say this because for now, I'm only going to remove the rear.
Hmm, you know that is a heck of a good question. I would highly suspect it will stay down on it's own once the rear wheel is off. As much as it goes against the grain of all the redneck stuff I stand for, I opt for safety and security (don't tell anyone I said that) and throw the staps on mine when it is on the lift to remove the rear tire.

Administrator
I have two each 2x8 18 inch long that nailed together and I cut the end off at a 35 degree angle for a ramp. I roll the front tire up on that 2x8. Then I use another stacked 2x8 under the center stand. I then use my sissor jack to lift the front wheel up enough to pull the front 2x8 block out and lower then front wheel down. Yes the front tire will stay on the ground. This lifts the reat tire about 4 inches.

FJTRoy, yes we have had the Darkside wars in the past and while no one won we agree to disagree. Naysayers have spoken and had their say but it makes no difference. Its proven that tens of thousands of motorcyclists have been riding on car tires for many years and no major death count has been proven.

We had 1 member, Bjack, that died when he crashed at a very high speed with a Car tire on the rear but when the county forensic investigator examined the bike he found that the FRONT TIRE was cupped and had a bulge from cord separation. The report was he passed a group of cars that were doing 65 MPH at a much higher rate of speed and began to swerve before he crashed.

We do not know what caused member E.D to crash near the Tail of the Dragon a couple years ago. He had a Car tire on. He was killed and his wife was injured real bad. We never got the final reason of his crash.

My April 2015 crash I had a car tire on the back. But I got hit by another car tire flying in the air. It hit my front tire and jammed up under the faring and front tire and I got in a 'Tank Slapper' and hit the concrete Jersey Barrier at 75 MPH.

The Admin and Moderators (Before I was one) locked down on the wars. But I am sure that you have seen this same thing on the FJR forums.

Reactions: s-steel

Registered
Hmm, you know that is a heck of a good question. I would highly suspect it will stay down on it's own once the rear wheel is off. As much as it goes against the grain of all the redneck stuff I stand for, I opt for safety and security (don't tell anyone I said that) and throw the staps on mine when it is on the lift to remove the rear tire.
What in the crap am I talking about? I just had the friggin rear wheel off while doing the FD! I think my brain has some stupid in it. Anyway, I had to skooch the Burgman out of the way in the garage when I had the rear wheel off. I had to push down on the rear seat and pull a handlebar and I could get the front end to rotate (out of the way). So, no 鈥 no need to strap it down.

Registered
We had 1 member, Bjack, that died when he crashed at a very high speed with a Car tire on the rear but when the county forensic investigator examined the bike he found that the FRONT TIRE was cupped and had a bulge from cord separation. The report was he passed a group of cars that were doing 65 MPH at a much higher rate of speed and began to swerve before he crashed.

We do not know what caused member E.D to crash near the Tail of the Dragon a couple years ago. He had a Car tire on. He was killed and his wife was injured real bad. We never got the final reason of his crash.

My April 2015 crash I had a car tire on the back. But I got hit by another car tire flying in the air. It hit my front tire and jammed up under the faring and front tire and I got in a 'Tank Slapper' and hit the concrete Jersey Barrier at 75 MPH.
Garsh - I didn't realize about all the darkside murders. 馃榿 Maybe I need to rethink this. :unsure:

That's what's going on with the rear (motorcycle) tire on mine right now. I has a big bulge. I guess I better quit riding on it. Friggin motorcycle tires are dangerous. Need to get a square tar on there quick.

Premium Member
Once the rear tar is removed, I would imagine the weight of the front wheel/tire would keep it on the ground, no? I say this because for now, I'm only going to remove the rear.
Shhhh yup it will , but tying it will keep any accidents from happenin

Registered
An accident is hard to imagine. When all put together and up on the centerstand, the rear wheel dangles. Without the rear wheel, it is even lighter in the rear, so it will tend to set on the front wheel even better than when the rear wheel is there.

Premium Member
An accident is hard to imagine. When all put together and up on the centerstand, the rear wheel dangles. Without the rear wheel, it is even lighter in the rear, so it will tend to set on the front wheel even better than when the rear wheel is there.
with refreshing beberages, anything is possiblee!

Super Moderator
What in the crap am I talking about? I just had the friggin rear wheel off while doing the FD! I think my brain has some stupid in it. Anyway, I had to skooch the Burgman out of the way in the garage when I had the rear wheel off. I had to push down on the rear seat and pull a handlebar and I could get the front end to rotate (out of the way). So, no 鈥 no need to strap it down.
@7milesout
I stand corrected. Every time I have changed my rear tire, I have had the bike on the center stand and strapped ddown. I did the straps just to stabilize the bike side to side. I actually did not check to see where the fore and aft center of balance was. Didn't give it a thought. Now I know. Thanks for the reply on the actual results of pulling the rear tire. Precisely what I like about this forum, if it needs to be done somone here has already went that direction before and can share their results.
Thanks for your input.

Registered
Well 鈥 the CT has been slapped onto my rear rim. However, they applied 120 psi to it and it would not seat. Any more pressure and he was concerned he was going to blow out the sidewalls. He used plenty of slickener too, but no go.

So I had him leave it as it was, and I will deal with it myself. Other than sitting this here wheel / tire in the sun for a couple hours and then putting pressure on it, what should I do? I can get 120 psi on it at home. Course the hurricane (in its weaker form) is heading this way and it has been cool, gloomy, and rainy the past couple days. No sunlight available.

I'll have a couple good pictures of the outgoing tire too. It was done busted. It had a swell on the outside, and looked like a big blister at the same spot on the inside. Motorcycle tires are dangerous!

Super Moderator
Well 鈥 the CT has been slapped onto my rear rim. However, they applied 120 psi to it and it would not seat. Any more pressure and he was concerned he was going to blow out the sidewalls. He used plenty of slickener too, but no go.

So I had him leave it as it was, and I will deal with it myself. Other than sitting this here wheel / tire in the sun for a couple hours and then putting pressure on it, what should I do? I can get 120 psi on it at home. Course the hurricane (in its weaker form) is heading this way and it has been cool, gloomy, and rainy the past couple days. No sunlight available.

I'll have a couple good pictures of the outgoing tire too. It was done busted. It had a swell on the outside, and looked like a big blister at the same spot on the inside. Motorcycle tires are dangerous!
I'm on my second C/T. Neither of mine were particularly difficult to seat the beads. I ran them up to about 70psi after coating the bead with tire installation lube. I've read of others having to go to higher pressures but mine went at a little over normal pressures. I hope you can get it seated soon. Please let us all know what you end up doing to make it work.

Premium Member
it took sunshine to seat mine too, on the bright side, you know it ain't gonna pop at 50 psi.

Registered
Charbroil - Neither side seated. You don't happen to work in Columbus, GA. do you?

Blacktruck - I was thinking about putting a light coating of engine oil over the tire edges and wheel. Then sitting it in the sun. Let it baste for about an hour, then flip it, let it baste another hour. I bought a lock on pneumatic chuck and a squeeze valve (like they have at tire stores). I have a really long air hose and big ole air tank. I should be able to put some pressure on it from afar. Problem is, we may not see the sun shine for days up in here with what's left of this hurricane. It's a complete monsoon, but nothing like those folk down on the gulf coast.

MM - I can't wait to be doing big ole smoky burnouts on my new "drag slick." I'm going to run it at 41 psi per the manual. Yeah, I know it's a different animal, but will start at 41 and see what I get.

The good thing is because the guy was doing this right in front of me, I spun the tire on the rim before trying to seat it, and got the red dot perfectly aligned with the valve stem. Get some, what was that juice called, "Run On?" and I'll finish balancing that tire with that. I figure I'll pull the stem, add the juice, replace the stem, air it up, and ride to my Paw's house. That orta do it.

Super Moderator
Charbroil - Neither side seated. You don't happen to work in Columbus, GA. do you?

Blacktruck - I was thinking about putting a light coating of engine oil over the tire edges and wheel. Then sitting it in the sun. Let it baste for about an hour, then flip it, let it baste another hour. I bought a lock on pneumatic chuck and a squeeze valve (like they have at tire stores). I have a really long air hose and big ole air tank. I should be able to put some pressure on it from afar. Problem is, we may not see the sun shine for days up in here with what's left of this hurricane. It's a complete monsoon, but nothing like those folk down on the gulf coast.

MM - I can't wait to be doing big ole smoky burnouts on my new "drag slick." I'm going to run it at 41 psi per the manual. Yeah, I know it's a different animal, but will start at 41 and see what I get.
Yes I too used a long hose to air mine up. I had cleaned the rim and made sure there were no sharp edges for the bead to break over as they were seating. I would think the engine oil would work also as tire lube but I am sure there will be someone to tell us why it shouldn't be. I get a little nervous twitch when I am at the 70ish psi to seat my tires. The long hose with a locking chuck is my friend then also. Probably having the tire heat soaked in the sun helps. Sorry about the whole sun thing there now.

Premium Member

The good thing is because the guy was doing this right in front of me, I spun the tire on the rim before trying to seat it, and got the red dot perfectly aligned with the valve stem. Get some, what was that juice called, "Run On?" and I'll finish balancing that tire with that. I figure I'll pull the stem, add the juice, replace the stem, air it up, and ride to my Paw's house. That orta do it.
i'm thinkin you meant pull the valve core

Registered

When the local shop tried to put mt ct on only one side would seat. they did not want to go over 100psi. let it sit in the hot sun for two days...nope. i then was allowed to try. went up to 120psi, still would not seat. i moved the tire on the rim and the lack of seating was at the same spot, i concluded it was the tire. they let me borrow the burring tool for repairs and "ground" the bevel edge on the tire. fresh lube and 110psi, success! Have close to 1000 miles since, never going back. was a bit of work but now i know for the nest time, which should be a while......luke, i am your father....trust the darkside...........

41 - 60 of 82 Posts