Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dark side? I were to go that route, does Michelin make a tire that would work? If so what would the size be for a 400 and a 650?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just put a Federal Formosa CT on my 2011 Burgman 650 today. Rode it about 25 miles in the rain and didn't motice much difference in handling. Will ride about 200 miles tomorrow on back roads, curves and some interstate. Hope to have a better idea of the ride and handling when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
871 Posts
I don't know what would fit a 400 but in my experience, I have used a Federal and then a Bridgestone on my 650. I don't recall seeing any Michelins available in a 14". Both tires worked very well. I had about 15K or a little more on the Federal and still running the Bridgestone. I use a 165/60 R14 as I recall. They are a little harder to seat on the bead but I did not have to go to any extreme measures to seat them.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Kinda waiting for DaveJ to chime in here.

He's kinda the Sith Lord of Darksiding the 650 on the forum these days. Can't recall what he's running at the moment, but he's been darksiding for years, & of thousands of miles.

If ya search the forum you'll find plenty of discussion on the topic for the 650. The 400 has some but not on the same level as I recall.

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
Darksiding the 1998-2006 Burgman 400 will not happen as there are no car tires in that size.
The 2007 up 400 does have a size of rim that will take a Car tires so you could do them.

The Burgman 650 will accept a few. In tire diameter size they go like this 155/60 14, 165/60 14, 155/65 14 165/65 14 and you may squeeze a 175/60 14 on but I have not tried but it is NOT RECOMMENDED as you may need modify the swing arm to fit.

My April 2015 crash of my 2008 650 was caused by a Car tire but not mine, it was off a car and hit me when I was doing 70+ MPH. :eek

I am currently running a 155/65 HR 14 (in my signature below) This is a smooth running tire and a bit taller than the 160/60 HR 14 BattleAx so my speedo is a bit more closer to exact.

Reactions: Mike33

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dave - I'm responding to the latest darkside thread I could find. And is especially ideal because I want to talk tire size. I was crunching some numbers, and the 185/60 14 that you mention seems to be a) very close to the diameter of the factory MT size, and b) there are a pretty good selection of tires in that size. Especially the Riken Raptors. I've put those on 3 of my cars so far and in each instance, they have been GREAT. I put them originally on an old Corolla of mine because they were C-H-E-A-P, but what I read about them was good. I didn't think the Corolla had a lot of life left to it, and I was right. As swmbo made a speeding car try to drive through the side of the Corolla. But on that Carolla and 2 others the Rikens have been quite good. Actually, I think I put them on the rears of a 4th car too. And it is doing just fine.

What is the swing arm modification? Is it due to tire width?

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
I really would discourage anyone using a 185/60 14 tire.
It is 1.18 inch TALLER than a BattleAx 160/60 14 so not even close to the same.

See chart below. Please rethink this.
  • It is too wide.
  • It is too tall.
  • It is much heaver than a 165/60 14.
  • It does not fit the rims width so the tire will be cupped in the center unless you run 50 PSI.
  • It DOES NOT fit the swing arm's pocket and requires grinding out some of the pocket.
It did hit my trunk with the stock OEM shockes set on #5. I use Tacomaworld's tire calculator to see different tire sizes.

185-60.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
Oh sorry. I made a little spreadsheet previously, to look at overall tire height, etc. But had calculated sidewall incorrectly (got to remember: aspect RATIO). I'm getting the same numbers as you now. Based on the numbers I'm seeing now, the 155/65 R14 looks like the optimal size to go with. Sure wish there were more tires to choose from. Would love to run a Riken Raptor. I'm not ready to do this yet (go to the dark side) … but I'm a planner. THANKS!

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
Many years back you could get a 155/70 HR14 that would be in the right size But I have not seen them in 10 years or so.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got right at 6000 miles on my factory tire replaced with a shinko and it’s close to being replaced at 7000 miles might make another 1000 miles on it anyway my question is what is the mileage average on a car tire?

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
Some have gotten 15,000 miles from a Bridgestone Potenza RE92 rated at 20,000 but a few got 22,000. I think I got 17K. The Battleax would have been 3+ tires plus mounting & balancing.
I am on a 155/65 HR14 rated at 40,000 miles but at 18,000 it looks about half way done so maybe 35,000 miles.

It was once speculated that a car had two wheels pushing, even if you don't have 'Posi-traction', both wheels push. With only 1 tire in back it does 100% of the drive.

Now one thing overlooked when doing a Car Tire. The rear wheel bearings. When you must remove a Motorcycle tire at 5,000 miles you get to inspect the bearings. With a 40,000 mile Car tire, you may forget to check the bearings. So, ever new Car tire, I put in new wheel bearings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Federal Formoza FD2 155/65r14 here.
Very plush ride compared to the OEM tire.
My 2013 swingarm only has about 3/4” clearance for a larger diameter tire, but there’s plenty of room to go wider.

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
The Potenza RE92 is a tire designed for the 2000's Honda Insite Hybred. It came in a few sizes but the 165/65 SR14 was the most common.

There are many better more modern 165/60 14's and 165/65 14's too. The 155/65 14 is a size in between the 160/60 and 165/65. Like Charbroil said, the Federal Formosa FD2 155/65 HR14 is a very good tire. I have one in the garage with 10,000 miles on it and it looks real good except the 1/4 inch hole in its tread from a huge Dry Wall anchor.

7miles, contact member Ibuzzard. Steve may have a Car tire for sale cheap and he is in the Bay Area of Calif.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dave - I investigated the Federal Formosa FD2. At $45 (+ tax) for a tar I can get at WallyWorld, how can anyone go wrong? I'm assuming the below is the exact tar you're speaking of.

I decided not to bug lbuzzard about it because shipping from CA to GA would likely be more than said $45 tar.

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
Yes that is the same model tire I used.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dave - I appreciate the info and feedback you have provided. It has helped me form a decision.

In my case, I'm betting I'm a little different than most. I did all the sport riding I could want when I roadraced motorcycles. I bought the Burgman because a) I cannot lie, it looks sharp in my opinion, b) it looked useful (and is), I was used to a standard motorcycle and its inability to carry much, and c) because I could enjoy motorcycling again and haul up to my pop's house on the interstate and use very little fuel doing it. Why use more, when one can use less? I have plenty of other vehicles I could ride up there in and blow through fuel. But *if I can use less fuel, then I choose to do so if the weather supports it. The Burgman is merely a sharp tool for me. I didn't buy it for weekend canyon carving. There are better sickles available for that, and besides I been there done that. I bought it just to be an inexpensive but fun tool to operate. Although, sometimes I get to thinking I should have bought a 400. But I swear the vibration on the one I test rode, had I bought it, would have drove me nuts. Maybe I should try another.

So, why in my case, would I spend $130+ for a tire that will last 7k - 10k miles, when I can spend less than $50 for one that will last 30k+ miles? I tend to wear a tire right down to the nub, car or motorcycle (...yes I know the risks). If I had 2 issues resolved on my Burgman, I would be satisfied with it for long term. Driver's backrest, and FD. I'll have those sorted by the time I need a tire. And I believe everything I've read about the handling of a CT. So, when it comes time to replace my rear tire, I will go with the above Federal Formoza.

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts