Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is ONLY for:

• 1. Those wishing to pass on what has worked for them personally. No second hand experiences. No magazine articles. No studies by car manufacturers. Only personal experiences will be allowed.
    2. Those who already decided to use a car tire on their Burgman and have questions on how to do it.
The focus of this thread is for people who have already read one of the numerous darkside threads and have made the decision to make this work for them.

What this thread is not for is:

• * A debate on the pros and cons of using a car tire on a Burgman.
    * Whether they should put a car tire on or not. There are other threads for that discussion. Please take them there.

Thread drift will not be allowed
. If your post strays anywhere near that, it will be either deleted or added to the end of one of the numerous darkside "discussions" where you may make your points over and over and over again.

NOTE: A few of you are smart enough to couch your responses of "you'll die in a ball of flaming death" as a question. (You know who you are...) ;) If in the view of a moderator it is on the borderline of thread drift, it will be deleted or moved to another thread. No warning. Whether the off-topic post is deleted, or moved, is up to the moderator and how much time they have on their hands. Sorry, but the moderators don't enjoy these endless contentious debates.

Also, BurgmanUSA is not making any endorsement of whether to do this, or not. It is an individual's choice whether to pursue this or not.

Chris

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Thank you very much Daboo
I'll start out with this:
Finding the golden tire pressure

I have recently started my venture to the dark side on a Uniroyal Rain Expert 165/65-14, because I happened to have a hardly used one in my basement, it was bought in an emergency situation for my car and dismounted as soon as I got the correct tire for it.
Seating pressure was 100 psi, first ride was on 40-ish psi on wet roads, where it felt like a steamroller when turning.
Before the net outing, the pressure was lowered to 30psi, which made it feel like a round tire.
Corners and short curves feel good, but long faster curves with less lean give some wobble, crossing painted lines when passing, riding near vertical does the same.
34 psi give more stability in near vertical, but brings back the steamroller flat tire effect.
My theory is that the rear shock absorbers' lack of compression damping and poor rebound damping are to blame.

I really don't understand those that go with high pressures to take out the sidewall flex, because then the tire will retain its square profile when leaned over.

Comments?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I think tire pressure depends on the tire being used and the desired riding effect by the owner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been there and back. I'm not too sure I actually want to go back again. I had a CT on my Kawasaki Vulcan 900. It handled well and lasted much longer than the original MC tire. After getting over the actual mounting and the outrageous pressure used to seat the bead, I put it at 32 pounds on day one and kept it there for the rest of the time I had the bike. I had no problems. I liked the extra tire life, having over 30 K on it when I traded the bike. I've still got original type tires on the Burgie. As I say I'm not so sure I want to revisit the Dark Side. I was told "it was not for everybody".

·
Administrator
20,110 Posts
My use of the BridgeStone Potenza has been outlined on so many pages of the other Darkside posts.

What I have found is a long list of PLUSES and a short list of MINUSES.

Pluses:
1. Long tire life.
2. Softer ride.
3. Half the cost with 3 times number 1 above. I am knocking the 40,000 miles door with mine. Have most of those miles on my 03 when I took the tires/rims off.
4. Grip in the rain on commuting is excellent.
5. Corrects the Speedo error to almost nil.
6. In my style of riding it has as good of dry grip.
7. Excellent grip on gravel roads. Not as good as a crosscountry Knobby.

Minuses:
1. Requires a bit more input for cornering.
2. Not as easy to steer at high angle roadways.
3. Makes the Odometer read higher. This upsets the true MPG calculations.
4. All the adverse comments from people that don't know or understand.

In the next few weeks I will be putting a new Federal Formosa 155/65 HR 14 Car tire on the rear.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have used both the Potenza, 165/65R14 and the Nexen CP621, 165/60R14 car tires (CT). The stock Bridgestone motorcycle tire (BS MT) is a 160/60R14.

* both CTs required 100 psi to set the bead. I have not tried the slower low pressure mounting technique yet. I will try it on my next CT.
* the speedo is corrected with the Potenza and is off about 6 or 7% with the Nexen. At common highway speeds I found it to be off 4-5 mph. I use a -5 mph adjustment to the speedo reading. It is close enough to not get a speeding ticket, assuming you ride close to the speed limit. Most of my riding I use the GPS for a speedo.
* Potenza - I used 35-36 psi. At higher psi, I got a high speed wobble. It seems to be more sensitive to air pressure changes.
* Nexen - I use 44psi with no high speed wobble. At less than 40 psi the bike feels squirmy to me.
* Some riders prefer a softer ride and use a lower psi setting.
* Nexen - has a rounder profile. It has been pointed out that it is a non-symmetrical thread pattern. However, I have experienced any difference in the curves in either direction.
* Nexen - sidewall feels softer than the Potenza or the BS MT.
* Both CTs require a little more effort to put in it into the curves than with the stock Bridgestone MT. Nexen requires less effort than the Potenza to put it into curves and generally handles better.
* the bike rides straighter and drifts less than with the BS MT.
* Both provide better braking.
* Nexen seems softer over bumps than the BS MT. I can not remember how the Potenza felt.
* Both performed well in the rain.
* the Potenza and Nexen are taller than the BS MT and require more height to remove the rear tire. But you can still move the rear wheel when on the center stand, but you may need to put something under the center stand to raise the bike.
* the Potenza can rub on the bottom of the seat/trunk
* Overall, I prefer the Nexen to the Potenza. In most ways, I preferred it over the BS MT.
* As of this post the Nexen CP621, 165/60R14 is not available. If it is not available when I need a new rear tire, I will try another CT brand. Several other owners are using different tires and I will see how their reports turn out.

General info - I weigh 185, carry another 20-30 lbs of “stuff” on bike, GIVI windshield and E55 trunk.
Bridgestone on front at 36 psi.
Shocks set to 5.
I average 6-7,000 miles with the BS MT rear tires.
Nexen 14k miles. It was probably good for at least +10K. I had to replace it due to two nails in it.
Potenza 12k miles. It was probably good for at least +10K. I went to the Nexen CP621 CT.

I have ridden both CT tires on very twisty roads at a reasonably aggressive riding style and have not experienced any handling problems.

·
Registered
704 Posts
When I mounted my first CT my Bridgestone MC tire was well worn. I noticed almost no difference with the CT as the MC tire's flat area wasn't much smaller then the CT. I measured the difference but don't remember. This time on my '12 I changed it at 512 miles on the bike and the difference was considerably more. Apparently the MC tire wearing is so gradual I didn't notice and made the switch without any problem. This time was different and with slight frustration I tried different pressures in the first 2000 miles. Now at 4000 miles and back to my old pressure of 38 psi and getting used to the handling I'm back to my old ways. I'll have to figure out a paint to dress up the area below the radiator when I drag it as I'm told the plastic underneath the white paint is black.

After my current experience with this switch out I would highly recommend waiting to switch from MC tire to CT until the MC tire is well worn and flat spotted. The transition would be much easier.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just bought a,

I hope i bought the right size tire??

Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW

from Tire Easy.com, they were back ordered two weeks.

I should have it before and on by Thanksgiving

So for now I cannot give any real world experience or review

·
Administrator
20,110 Posts
I changed westgl's post a bit so I could answer.

westgl said:
I just bought a Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW from http://www.TireEasy.com . I hope i bought the right size tire??

they were back ordered two weeks. I should have it before and on by Thanksgiving. So for now I cannot give any real world experience or review
Ok, this is a guide only, use what you want. And it seems to be only for 650's.

OEM is a Bridgstone BattleAX.

1. 155/55 R 14 is a bit smaller in width and height than OEM.
2. 155/65 R 14 is not as wide but just a bit taller than OEM.
3. 165/60 R 14 is just a bit wider than a OEM. Maybe just a bit taller too but not by much on ether.
4. 165/65 R 14 is a bit wider and a lot taller than OEM. Some have had it rub the bottom of the trunk, I have not.
5. A member has put a 185/something R 14 on but if I remember they had to modify the swingarm. *
There may be more.

But to answer westgl's question, yes that is one of the sizes to fit.

*Please do not modify any part of the frame/wheel/swingarm to make a tire fit.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dave_J said:
I changed westgl's post a bit so I could answer.

westgl said:
I just bought a Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW from http://www.TireEasy.com . I hope i bought the right size tire??

they were back ordered two weeks. I should have it before and on by Thanksgiving. So for now I cannot give any real world experience or review
Ok, this is a guide only, use what you want. And it seems to be only for 650's.

OEM is a Bridgstone BattleAX.

1. 155/55 R 14 is a bit smaller in width and height than OEM.
2. 155/65 R 14 is not as wide but just a bit taller than OEM.
3. 165/60 R 14 is just a bit wider than a OEM. Maybe just a bit taller too but not by much on ether.
4. 165/65 R 14 is a bit wider and a lot taller than OEM. Some have had it rub the bottom of the trunk, I have not.
5. A member has put a 185/something R 14 on but if I remember they had to modify the swingarm. *
There may be more.

But to answer westgl's question, yes that is one of the sizes to fit.

*Please do not modify any part of the frame/wheel/swingarm to make a tire fit.
DaveJ,

Thanks for the info

I noticed you said "In the next few weeks I will be putting a new Federal Formosa 155/65 HR 14 Car tire on the rear"

Can you tell me why you went with this tire say over the FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14.

Also a Tire and Wheel combination as we all know is a large flywheel, with this said i would like to see Tire weights including OEM is a Bridgstone BattleAX weight.

I had a car that i changed the tire's only to a taller tire and it ruined it as it would not rev the same, do to it changing the final gear ratio, and maybe more weight/mass to carry around, fly wheel effect.

Tread width for each tire would tell you how much tire is actually on the road, this seems to be beneficial also

Stock OEM 160/60HR-14 Bridgestone TH01 OEM Replacement Rear Tire Spec.s on OEM tire; 21.3 x 21.3 x 6.5 inches ; 13.7 pounds. current price $118.99 free shipping Motorcycle super store (for reference)

Tire easy.com, Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW $53.00 +$22.00 shipping = $75.00 to my door.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am trying to make a educated decision as to keep the tire i have on order or go to something else that may suit me better, as Tire easy does not have Tire#1 in stock.

Perceived comfort/performance can be different, between multiple riders, I know this from riding several different Goldwings for over 10 years, three guy's loves one tire & three other guys hate that tire, but love a different tire.

Rear Tire Spec.s info

Base line Stock OEM Tire: 160/60HR-14 Bridgestone TH01 OEM Replacement tire; 21.3-OA dia.x 6.5" width, ; 13.7 -LBS. current price $118.99 free shipping Motorcycle super store (for reference)

1. Federal Formosa FD1, 165/60R14 75H BSW OA Dia., 21.9", sec. width 6.4", tread width 5.2", tread depth 7.8mm, cold PSI 36, Weight 14.10-LBS, $53.00 +$22.00 shipping to my door = $75.00.

2. Federal Formosa FD2, 155/65 HR14 75H, OA Dia., 22.1", sec. Width 5.9", tread Width 4.7", tread depth 7.7mm, cold psi 44, Weight 13.22-LBS, $44.60 + $21.05 shipping to my door = $65.65.

I have to say from what I see out of the two specs, without testing, i like the tire DaveJ, is going to use,

tire #2 looks to be the best, when comparing specs, between tire #1 & #2, when compared to the OEM Base Line tire,

Tire #2 is Lighter weight & slightly lower OA height, should make gear ratio lower, than the BS OEM tire, less rotating mass = better braking (unknown), & better acceleration(unknown) , better gas mileage is (unknown) Higher revving engine on freeway, or at a given speed.(unknown)

#2 Tire tread width is about 1/2" less than OEM, but more tread on the ground, during normal upright riding.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is anyone using this tire currently?

Federal Formosa FD2, 155/65R14 75H

How is it?

Please provide a review of this tire.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Has anyone measured the amount of Tire Contact patch,

That is in area of contact with the road, between the Tire and the Road, for a comparison between their OEM tire vs their New CT?

This would be a Good data point

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Regarding taller gearing, it is my observation, using a significantly taller tire, 165/65-14, that only the lowest and highest gear gets taller.

That is because of the way the CVT upshifts as it registers increased speed. A taller tire means less wheel rpm vs speed, and consequently the CVT selects a lower "gear", so engine rpm vs speed remains more or less unaltered until near the end of the gear range.

Of course it's different in manual mode, where the taller tire will give more speed vs rpm.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That would make sense, do to us having a constantly variable transmission, it will pick the right ratio based on load and acceleration.

Then you also have flywheel effect, more/Less inertia do to weight.

·
Registered
463 Posts
westgl said:
I am trying to make a educated decision as to keep the tire i have on order or go to something else that may suit me better, as Tire easy does not have Tire#1 in stock.

Perceived comfort/performance can be different, between multiple riders, I know this from riding several different Goldwings for over 10 years, three guy's loves one tire & three other guys hate that tire, but love a different tire.

Rear Tire Spec.s info

Base line Stock OEM Tire: 160/60HR-14 Bridgestone TH01 OEM Replacement tire; 21.3-OA dia.x 6.5" width, ; 13.7 -LBS. current price $118.99 free shipping Motorcycle super store (for reference)

1. Federal Formosa FD1, 165/60R14 75H BSW OA Dia., 21.9", sec. width 6.4", tread width 5.2", tread depth 7.8mm, cold PSI 36, Weight 14.10-LBS, $53.00 +$22.00 shipping to my door = $75.00.

2. Federal Formosa FD2, 155/65 HR14 75H, OA Dia., 22.1", sec. Width 5.9", tread Width 4.7", tread depth 7.7mm, cold psi 44, Weight 13.22-LBS, $44.60 + $21.05 shipping to my door = $65.65.

I have to say from what I see out of the two specs, without testing, i like the tire DaveJ, is going to use,

tire #2 looks to be the best, when comparing specs, between tire #1 & #2, when compared to the OEM Base Line tire,

Tire #2 is Lighter weight & slightly lower OA height, should make gear ratio lower, than the BS OEM tire, less rotating mass = better braking (unknown), & better acceleration(unknown) , better gas mileage is (unknown) Higher revving engine on freeway, or at a given speed.(unknown)

#2 Tire tread width is about 1/2" less than OEM, but more tread on the ground, during normal upright riding.
Update

Adding Tires for comparison of specs

3. BridgeStone Potenza 165/65R14, OA Dia. 22.5", sec. width 6.5", , tread Width 5.0", Weight 13.-LBS tread depth 9/32",

4. Nexen CP621, 165/60R14 Could not find detailed specs, for this tire OA Dia. Sec. Width, Tread Width, Weight, tread depth

·
Registered
484 Posts
First of all, thanks for this sticky topic, Chris. It does seem like we really need one for this topic, doesn't it?

As far as the Formoza FD1, I've made several observations as to the specific characteristics of the tire as I observe them here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55959

Haven't tried the FD2 as yet, but outside of the size availability, I must say, I like the way the tread looks. In the FD1, I use 33-34PSI, depending on weather (higher for cold), same as the front OEM. I've tried different pressures, but after talking with some trike engineers, found that it's suggested to use less pressure than a MT tire would use when utilizing a CT on a bike... in fact, slightly less than if it was on a car. The attitude seems to be that there will be no heat issues when using less pressure due to the reduced load a bike puts on a CT, lateral stability will not be negatively impacted (indeed you would want more lateral roll due to the bikes weight being so much less and yet needing the contact patch to remain during turns), and the reduced tire pressure will allow the tire to "swell" (basically described as rounding out) during high speed, straight-line riding to allow for less resistance... kinda matching a MTs tire patch. Since my norm for a car tire on a car is 35-37psi...

So far, I seem to be getting pretty good mileage and even wear from the CT. No premature sidewall or contact patch wear at all, and others have checked, at this pressure, the tire does round out and it does roll (a small bit) in turns, not enough for you to feel it, just enough to keep the circumferential contact patch firmly planted on the tarmac.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had a Canam Spyder RT trike, they recommended a very low tire pressure for it, 13-17psi But this Trike Does not lean I thought at the time it was crazy low, but I did raise the pressure to normal car tire pressures about 30psi and it did not ride well, then lowered it back down to crazy low recommendations and it was comfortable and handled well again. For a Bike that Leans this may be Way to low and your mileage may very

·
Registered
38 Posts
I put on a wintertire with studs, Nokian / Hakkapeliitta 155/65 - 14 this week.
This is my first go at car tires on a bike. I started out with 32 PSI but it was too soft, when now I have 36 PSI. It's much better.

First impressions:
+ A nice smooth ride
+ It's not as difficult to drive as you might think.
+ I get a tire with studs that will take me through ice and snow

o When accelerating when cornering it feels some what different

- Today a lost traction when taking off from a traffic light (it was raining)

Last winter and this summer I've been using the Metzler Feelfree Wintec tires. They are nice tires but I need the studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
When I was in France and Switzerland I saw folks riding their bikes in snow storms! From that I too decided to ride thru out the winter. The Bridgestone Potenza, I believe an all season tire, has worked for me. Much better on wet grass, which was almost like riding on snow with the OEM tire. They also work much better on gravel roads. In snow I still ride very carefully. but didn't drop the bike once like I did with the OEM tire. Looking forward to driving my '12 this winter with ABS brakes and the CT.

Please post your experiences this winter with those studded tires! Oh ya! Almost forgot.... Have fun!!! :thumbup:
I may want to do the same.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts