Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible or has anyone tried a car tire on the front rim of the B650?

Sam:D

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
There's no room for any tire larger than standard.
Misled by a posting in here, I bought a 130/something-15 bias ply tire and installed on my front rim, but it scraped the front fender.
The only automotive tire which comes near is the hard-to-find 125(80)R15 for Citroën 2CV, but it is only made by Michelin $$$ or far east brands $$ and poor quality.

The oversize bias ply was quite comfy, but the front fender has to be modified significantly, by widening it rear of the fork.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The handling would be terrible, and probably dangerous...We squeeze by on the rear ok, not to mention a good quality front tire last's at least 15k, not bad for a $100.00

·
Registered
218 Posts
There's no room for any tire larger than standard.
Misled by a posting in here, I bought a 130/something-15 bias ply tire and installed on my front rim, but it scraped the front fender.
The only automotive tire which comes near is the hard-to-find 125(80)R15 for Citroën 2CV, but it is only made by Michelin $$$ or far east brands $$ and poor quality.

The oversize bias ply was quite comfy, but the front fender has to be modified significantly, by widening it rear of the fork.
Hi ErikDK,
So I gather you did ride it a bit with no front fender and it went okay and quite comfy. Please elaborate on the feeling when in a turn. Maybe a better fit? https://www.universaltire.com/125r15-firestone-f560-blackwall.html
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
415 Posts
Erik, I have had success using a 140/70 15 (Michelin City Grip rear) on my front, it cleared, but was a close fit, I ran it on my scoot till it was ready to replace.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wouldn't a car tire on the front make it difficult to steer the bike since the car tires have a flatter surface to them? I can see them being okay on the rear but think it would be difficult to lean into a turn if you install it on the front as well. I'm not arguing a point but rather asking those that may have tried it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
With Goldwings, going double dark side means putting a rear MC tire on the front, using the same size as the normal front tire, the advantage is that the rear tire has more tread depth, and higher weight limit. Results in longer tire life, and is able to safely carry the extra weight of a trike or sidecar.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments Folk's!! :p

I have just wondered, for years, why front tires just didn't offer more "BEEF" like the rears do.:confused:

Sam:D

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Erik, I have had success using a 140/70 15 (Michelin City Grip rear) on my front, it cleared, but was a close fit, I ran it on my scoot till it was ready to replace.
I can't remember the brand, but it was based on precisely your reports that I bought a 140/70-15 bias ply, and it scraped, even though i enlarged the mounting holes in the fender to adjust it away from the tire.

Since the arc of the fron fender is more than 180 degrees, just moving the fender up was not a solution.

The tiniest amount of gravel picked up by the thread would make noises indicating the fender was about to be ripped off.

Without the fender, there were zero handling problems, and it the tire was much better at bump absorption than the rock-hard OEM radial tire.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I can't remember the brand, but it was based on precisely your reports that I bought a 140/70-15 bias ply, and it scraped, even though i enlarged the mounting holes in the fender to adjust it away from the tire.

Since the arc of the fron fender is more than 180 degrees, just moving the fender up was not a solution.

The tiniest amount of gravel picked up by the thread would make noises indicating the fender was about to be ripped off.

Without the fender, there were zero handling problems, and it the tire was much better at bump absorption than the rock-hard OEM radial tire.
Hi Eric, I like the idea of the citygrip rear on the front and I am good with fiberglass and plastics so I am thinking for me it may be an easy mod depending on the cut.
If I was to cut the fender, would it be a cut across on the red line and lengthen a bit or does it also involve a cut on the yellow line and widening?
Red line I would do, yellow line as well I wouldn't.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I strongly advise against putting a car tyre on the front.

On the rear you can get away with it most of the time. The bikes geometry will be compromised but if the bike is very heavy it will usually only show up in extreme situations.

On the front you will alter the way that leaning turns the forks in and the self-correcting nature of the set up.

Messing up the relationship between lean/steer/self righting means that what gets produced no longer matches what is needed and handling becomes unpredictable and dangerous.

Increasing the diameter of the front tyre (compared to the rear) will also make the bike turn in slower.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Maybe not on advice from me ......

but his own research has already led him to the same conclusion by a different route

Even if they made a small enough C/T to fit the Front, I would not, NEVER run one on front. The front tire does 90% of all the work on a motorcycle but the rear tire Kinda just trails along.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I find that by dropping the air PSI will give a softer ride, you don't have to drop it much my be 5 PSI. Also (I think it is a law-hear in Massachusetts anyway) tire's that are more than 7 years old must be replaced or the bike won't pass inspection. I'm sure that when Suzuki designed the Burgman they took in to account what was best and safest for there bikes. I put about 7K miles on my bike every year. The Burgman is supposed to be more comfortable than a Gold Wing
Why mess with perfection... Just an opinion...Always Ride Safe... Scooter 68

·
Registered
508 Posts
I find that by dropping the air PSI will give a softer ride, you don't have to drop it much my be 5 PSI.
I simply could not do that with a motorcycle rear due the shite handling of the bike when doing so.
I had to have the fronts and rear OVER inflated to get good handling.

I now have a car tyre on the rear running between 32 and 34psi and my City Grip Bias front set on 30psi and the handling,comfort and confidence is superior to what I had previously. YMMV

·
Administrator
18,722 Posts
I still will say on a two wheel bike, I would NEVER recommend a Car Tire on the front. Now on a permanent mounted side car or trike then that a whole different story and I would do it.

RacerX was thinking about doing a Shadeside. When you take a rear MOTORCYCLE tire and run it on the front in reverse rotation. This has been a racetrack trick and will work if needed on the street. You can get a 140/70 15 rear tire on the Burgmans rim but it will hit the front fender.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts