Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock rear Hoop on my '11 B400 went bald at 8400 miles. Looked for the tire I used last time I darksided- Hercules Raptis TR1 155/70R13. Couldn't find any. So, did a search - not a lot of options. Went with an Achilles 122 in the same size on Amazon. $46 with free shipping.

Tried the zip tie technique (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9MpgD-xIjg) to remove the old tire but found it didn't help much. Ended up wrestling with it on the Harbor Freight tire changer as usual.

Took about 10 minutes of constant air input and bouncing the tire around before the bead even started to seat. Took it up to 95 PSI. After about 5 minutes sitting at that pressure, the bead finally set with a crack like a .22 long rifle. Took it back down to 50 PSI and put the wheel back on the bike. Took a spin around the neighborhood. Silky smooth, but only had it up to 45 or so. Will update after I ride it at highway speeds.

I like the profile of the tire- fairly rounded on the edges. Awaiting a shipment of Dyna-beads but if the ride remains smooth at highway speeds, might not put them in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am using a Joyroad Tour RX1 165-65r-13(Tires-Easy) I found. It has a heavier rating than most others that I found. IIRC, it was about the same price shipped. I only have about 1500 miles on it but I am pleased as punch with it. It is showing no wear at all and sticks like glue even in the rain. I had it mounted at a small independent shop here for $15 but they had no problem at all.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I didn't think I'd ever have a scooter with a car tire and then I bought one, my 2012 with one already mounted. It really looked cool and just thinking about all of that nice, thick and wide tread being on the ground intriqued me.

It took maybe an hour for me to feel at home on the bike as the tire did feel a little different. Now I don't notice it at all and I can ride the same curvy roads at the same speed or higher than with a stock tire. The Interstate ride is Soooooo much better with the darkside piece!

I'm a little extra careful when riding in the rain and when making turns at intersections that have sand and pea gravel, paint and tar snakes but I've always been extra careful under those conditions.

No more expensive crappy little wheel-barrow tires for me!

Sam:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: No problems cruising at 80-85 mph. No squirliness or vibration. Don't think I'll add the Dyna-beads unless I notice an unusual wear pattern.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
another member here installed an Achilles (I think) and had to trim the plastic flange under the trunk, how is yours working?

Yes, there aren't a lot of choices. I had a VW Rabbit and it used 155 SR13 tires. Just a quick look on line, those are hard to find too. We are pushed into expensive 15, 16, 17 inch tires now. Where my VW would go 70,000 miles on its donuts :)

Anyway, when my rear Michelin wears out, I think I will give the "darkside" a shot.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
BTW I mount my own tires, WD-40 seems to work as a bead lube. I use two 24-inch tire irons (Harbor Freight) and have no problem removing or mounting. Of course, it takes some effort...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, had to do a bit of surgery on the flange with a Dremmel to get clearance to install. I think that's the case with most car tires on the 400

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah, had to do a bit of surgery on the flange with a Dremmel to get clearance to install. I think that's the case with most car tires on the 400
I found that flange was flexible enough that I just forced the tire past the interference point and it went right on. No mods required!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts