Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i came home to a flat tire. Found a nail in the rear tire. Since the tire is close to replacement I thought I would try darkside and found a Potenza 165 65 14 at the local dealer. He told me this tire had been discontinued but had 2 left. My question is this, I am a big guy (280 lbs.) and wanted to know if this could have an effect on the tire rubbing the trunk or handling? This is for A 650 standard.(09) Would appreciate comments from some of you who have darksided. Thanks. Bob

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
What setting do you have the rear shocks set at now? I know the 165/65r-14 diameter is 22.44" compared to 21.8" for a 165/60r-14 which I just went to. I have mine set at #4 & I'm 190 lbs. I haven't had any rubbing problem & I don't know the diameter of the stock M/C tire.

·
Administrator
18,750 Posts
Right now I have them set on 3. Seems to work good for me with the oem tire.
If you do go to the Darkside, I'd say a setting of 4 would be a good start. If you can, get a bottle of white shoe polish and coat the bottom of your trunk and then load it down as heavy as you will run and ride around. If the tire hits the bottom it will show in the shoe polish.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I read these darkside posts in the hope that someone will tell what tire to put on a 400 (it's a 13 inch wheel). But no such luck :(
Just put a Michelin City grip on mine (rear). But want to get ready for the next tire change.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My wife and I total approx 390lbs. We went on a several day ride so loaded the top box, and under the seat with all they would hold. I had left the factory setting of 3 on the shocks and after the 600+ mile trip notice that there was a pin hole where the CT rubbed thru. Crossing railroad tracks was the only time we felt it hit bottom. I then set it at 5 and the hole size is still the same 10,000 miles later even tho we loaded the underseat with battery powered drills, saws, coils of electrical wire, etc and my wife held a nice size tool box to take to the job sites doing electrical work this summer. It was my work bike. Set it at 4 or 5 depending on weight and enjoy.

Oh yes, it corners better when riding 1 up at 5 too! Just be careful you don't lean too far and rub the plastic in the turns especially if the color is white!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I must assume you are running the Potenza 165/65R/14. I just looked up an older post where the rider wore a hole in the trunk with this tire. It was an older model tho. and the trail was different. Others have had no problem but probably did not weigh as much as me. I think I will try it and if it does not work I can always change it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mike, this works well on an 07+ 400:

155/70-13 HERCULES RAPTIS TR1 75T

$34 at onlinetires.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts