Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am whooped. It kicked my butt but its done. I dismounted the BattelAx, stripped the paint off the rims bead area and that area is very rough. Polished it up and mounted the new car tire. It is a Federal Formosa DS2 155/65R14 75H. It took a little over 60 PSI to seat the last side. I posted pictures on how to do this your self. Here we go.

[attachment=4:j4tabflp]The tools.jpg[/attachment:j4tabflp]

[attachment=3:j4tabflp]Breaken Beads.jpg[/attachment:j4tabflp]

[attachment=2:j4tabflp]Busting loose.jpg[/attachment:j4tabflp]

[attachment=1:j4tabflp]Taking off.jpg[/attachment:j4tabflp]

[attachment=0:j4tabflp]Tire Irons.jpg[/attachment:j4tabflp]

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more.

[attachment=4:2zzyqh6e]Rim Before.jpg[/attachment:2zzyqh6e]

[attachment=3:2zzyqh6e]Rough under paint.jpg[/attachment:2zzyqh6e]

[attachment=1:2zzyqh6e]Polishing.jpg[/attachment:2zzyqh6e]

[attachment=2:2zzyqh6e]It goes on.jpg[/attachment:2zzyqh6e]

[attachment=0:2zzyqh6e]Ready to roll.jpg[/attachment:2zzyqh6e]

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the last ones.

[attachment=3:3dszke9l]Footprint 1.jpg[/attachment:3dszke9l]

[attachment=2:3dszke9l]Size.jpg[/attachment:3dszke9l]

[attachment=1:3dszke9l]Long life.jpg[/attachment:3dszke9l]

[attachment=0:3dszke9l]What a squirrel sees right before .....jpg[/attachment:3dszke9l]

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lubed it up some more, made sure that the other side (180 degrees around) of the tire was in the low spot of the rim and slowly walked it in with the two irons. You can not take too much of a bite. The funny thing is I mounted it and found out I had not replaced the valve stem, so I had to remove one side, install the new stem and remount it. I had to air it up three times as the bead would not POP on both sides in the same spot. It was where they had taped the shipping label on. I deflated it, spun the rim 1/4 of a turn and still no seat at the same places, deflated, lubed again and it popped at about 62 PSI. I had my "air regulator/water separator" set at 70 PSI.

I could not find my NAPA Tire Lube anywhere so I used Simply Green. After I was cleaning up, GUESS what I found? RIGHT, The super slippery Lube, right where I put it last time.

You or Kory can copy the pictures (Minus the car tire of corse :D ) and put them in the tire sections if you want.

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will take it down to the dealer and pay them to balance it. It is heavy towards the valve stem without the tire and stem on and about 1/8 of a turn with them installed.

My new front tire will be here on Monday. Its a new/old stock Michelin Gold Standard. I most likely will put these two on the 650 in a few weeks. The two tires on the 650 are still above the wear bars and could go another 2,000 miles I bet, but... As we are heading into the (MORE) wet season, I do not want to be caught without a set of good rain tires. I will post more when I get the on and some miles on them. It is nice having a spare set of wheels.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Dang that Battlax still has a couple thousand miles left on it! Mine looked like that at about 7,000 miles and I finally changed it when I saw the first cord at 9,500 miles. :D

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
I must agree with Dave, running a may-pop on rain soaked roads is not my idea of fun. I tend to change mine before they are worn to the wear bars. :)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Ken said:
I must agree with Dave, running a may-pop on rain soaked roads is not my idea of fun. I tend to change mine before they are worn to the wear bars. :)
Well you've heard the saying it never rains in southern California. :D I wouldn't do it in the rain but then again I try not to ride it in the rain either.

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This post is not 100% about the car tire. Its to show those that wanted to know how to change the tire themselves. When you look at the pictures, in your mind, just think that I am installing another crappy BattelAX and not "So, you managed to force an asymmetrical car tire onto a mc rim. Whoopee :D "

If any one wants to come on by with a NEW motorcycle tire and wants me to show them how easy it is, PM me. Takes about 10 minuets. I just do not have a balancing machine. I would have done this picture layout even if I were putting a motorcycle tire on, it just would not be a BattleAx!

MJR, I got about 15K on that back tire. I could not believe it lasted that long. Front one went to 22K. One of the things that kills a tire up here is riding in the rain. The tire is constantly slipping and spinning. I could feel it in the city riding. They do run cooler in the rain for sure.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Dave_J said:
MJR, I got about 15K on that back tire. I could not believe it lasted that long. Front one went to 22K. One of the things that kills a tire up here is riding in the rain. The tire is constantly slipping and spinning. I could feel it in the city riding. They do run cooler in the rain for sure.
I've heard of folks getting that kinda mileage but I've never had one last that long, best so far my '09's OE rear I was talking about at 9,550. The OE ones on my '03 were less and so the Diablo replacements.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Do you not think it would be prudent to remove the disc when whirling tyre levers around - or am I just a cautious chap. :)

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NormanB said:
Do you not think it would be prudent to remove the disc when whirling tyre levers around - or am I just a overly cautious chap. :)
Fixed that for ya Norman. :D

The discs are a very hard steel. But I did not bang them too much. The levers or irons are on the long side and that helps with leverage but they also get in the way of things too.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bad form to quote me when you are putting words in my virtual mouth. :lol:

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Dave,

compared to the Potenza-

tread as wide or narrow?

stiffer sidewall or about the same?

any other obvious differences?

thanks

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Dave_J said:
... I just do not have a balancing machine.
I can highly recommend this one by HF, it can be had for around $40.00 on sale, well worth it...

it's on sale right now for $39.99, use a 20% off coupon and get it for $32.00 + local taxes

-- HF Wheel Balancer

·
Administrator
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GeeGusKahn said:
Dave, compared to the Potenza-

tread as wide or narrow? 10 mm narrower.

stiffer sidewall or about the same? Just the feel of it mounting it may be stiffer. I will not know till I put it on the bike.

any other obvious differences? It looks just a bit shorter than the Potenza. And the more open tread, unsure how that will play out.

thanks

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Dave

do you find the bench vise helps on the dismount ?

or really no big difference ?

thanks

1 - 20 of 81 Posts