Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Burger in Paradise said:
And finally, I end with something funny: I just purchased a T-shirt at a local bike night that says "Come to the darkside...we have beer!" If that is not convincing then nothing is....
No, no, no...

Not beer, cookies!

Out of curiosity, I asked my dealer today if they've ever done car tires on a motorcycle rim. They looked at me like I was from Mars to even ask.

·
Registered
284 Posts
what about the front tire?!

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
The front tire must remain a motorcycle tire. You need the round profile to initiate a lean.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My original Bridgestone is near the end of its life, and I'm considering going to the Darkside; however this is my main concern. If I install a Potenza RE92 in the recommended 165/65 R-14, will I have clearance issues? I pack a passenger a goodly amount of time, and together we weigh pretty close to 350#. I already run the preload springs on the highest setting, but with that, will my CT be rubbing against the bottom of the storage compartment?

·
Registered
947 Posts
CaptJohn said:
My original Bridgestone is near the end of its life, and I'm considering going to the Darkside; however this is my main concern. If I install a Potenza RE92 in the recommended 165/65 R-14, will I have clearance issues? I pack a passenger a goodly amount of time, and together we weigh pretty close to 350#. I already run the preload springs on the highest setting, but with that, will my CT be rubbing against the bottom of the storage compartment?
I was a little concerned about that when I installed the 165/65/14 on my '05 650, but even when I exit my driveway that has a high curb, and the suspension bottoms out, it doesn't rub on the storage compartment.

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
D0n, I am one of the first to run a set of bias ply tires on a Burgman and it worked so well I almost dident go to the Darkside. As a matter of fact, I am still running a Bias ply on the front. The Gold Standards last about twice as long as the OEM tires. Even if they made a small enough C/T to fit the Front, I would not, NEVER run one on front. The front tire does 90% of all the work on a motorcycle but the rear tire Kinda just trails along.

Just for info, a C/T has a slightly smaller inside diameter and thats why it fits tight on a Motorcycle rim. It would take much more force to blow one off the motorcycle rim than the M/T. Likewise, if you put a M/T on a Car rim, it would blow off so easy, being larger on the inside diameter. Its about a 0.125 Inch difference, C/T to M/T. That 0.125" is one heck of a lot. So all the nay-sayers, please stop saying you'd like to see a M/T on a car before someone trys it. I would hate to see one blow off the rim at any speed. DaveJ

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Dave_J said:
So all the nay-sayers, please stop saying you'd like to see a M/T on a car before someone trys it. I would hate to see one blow off the rim at any speed. DaveJ
To be fair Dave, they're not saying put a Burgie tyre on a car. I am sure there is at least one bike tyre that has the same ID as an equivalent car tyre.

I know a number of local owners of vintage vehicles from the 1920s era who have to use bike tyres as car tyres, as those tall / thin sizes are no longer available - they hardly push the handling limits of the tyres though. :p

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Ooh! Put a Chevy big block engine in a Model T Ford. Throw some Z-rated MC tires on there and hit the track! :drunken: :cheers:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
When you have a new tire it can be slippery the first 100-150 miles or so. This can be the reason for a crash. I darksided and took it easy the first 200 miles but after that I ride the hell out of that car tire and have no, zero, zilch, zip problems. I can scrape the centerstand in VERY deep turns and do anything I could previously on the OEM tires. I have found many benefits to darksiding (more traction upright and the same in deep turns, better handling, only 3% off speedo instead of 10%, lasts 4-5X longer than OEM, less expensive, better in rain, sand/dirt, easier to move when the engine is off, feels more steady in all riding conditions, looks cooler...etc. etc. etc.) The list goes on and on. Granted, darksiding is not for everyone and you need to learn how the car tire reacts in all situations but after the first 200 miles it is great. In fact, I have yet to see one person who darksided who later posted that they do not like it.

I will continue to respect both anti-darksiders as well as darksiders on the road. In fact, anyone on 3 or fewer wheels is cool with me!!

Ride, smile and live life fully...

Burger in Paradise

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
DewaltDakota said:
As posted earlier in this thread, member BJack replaced his brake pads on July 10th, and went darkside on the 11th. His sister has reported that he had an accident on the 14th, resulting in his death. We can only pray that none of these items are related.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41447
Barbara, It has ben a few days and we still havent heard any news on Bjacks death. The newspaper report has not been updated. Anyone in the Virgina area where he lived know anymore? The little I knew Bjack, I'm sure he would like us to know. He was a solid stand up guy. DaveJ

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I went DS about 12k, now 13.5k. Use a 155/70/13 on the 400K8, so only a tad different than OEM size. I like it very well. Most of my post are on the 2007+ 400 forum. I do not ride aggressively and check the wear pattern frequently to see how the "shoulders" are wearing. My "leans" are not much off of verticle and not very far off the flat portion of the CT. I counter steer quite a bit, might be the reason?

Anyway, so far I do not see a down side so far unless you rode aggressively and got onto the shoulder of the CT a good bit, then the force vector may not have much tread to work with.

When the shop put the CT on it took a good bit of psi and working with it to get it seated. A previous post in this thread about the CT having a slightly smaller bead circumference is correct I think. The MC wheel also has a slight ridge on the inside of the wheel the tire has to go over prior to seating to the wheel properly. I would guess the "lip" is to help keep the MC tire seated to the wheel. It REALLY would keep the CT seated to the wheel with the slightly smaller circumference of the CT.

Bob Weis

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Burger in Paradise said:
When you have a new tire it can be slippery the first 100-150 miles or so.
It took me about ~200-250 miles before I could not feel any effects especially in the rain ... and then I still needed to scrub the sides of the tire more. The best way to test if the tires are scrubbed properly is to get the tires wet and test it.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Dave_J said:
Barbara [Jo], It has ben a few days and we still havent heard any news on Bjacks death. The newspaper report has not been updated. Anyone in the Virgina area where he lived know anymore? The little I knew Bjack, I'm sure he would like us to know. He was a solid stand up guy. DaveJ
No, sir. Not that I'm aware of. I wish I had known about the funeral arrangements earlier, as I would have taken the ride out there, to give my condolences in person.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought I would start a "Darkside Bible" to include everything anyone needs to know about it in one place. Here goes...and feel free to add to this (no anti-darksiders please):

Burgman 650 darkside rear tire options: Bridgestone Potenza RE92 in 165/65/R-14 which fits the original Honda Insight (most popular option), or the Semperit Winter Grip Radial in 15/65-R14.

Purchase: Check the 4 digit date of manufacture on the sidewall to be sure it is less than 3 years old. The code is the week and year it was made. For example, 4908 means the 49th week of 2008.

Price: Expect to pay approximately $75 to $95 for the car tire.

Changing the tire yourself: See LeDude's instructions on his website (props to LeDude, who has done so much for Burgman riders!)

Installation: Use lots of lube and it will take approximately 100-110 lbs of pressure to seat the bead.

The Potenza has a speed rating of S (up to 112 mph/180 km/h)

If your local Motorcycle shop will not put the tire on, then check with an independent tire shop who will likely do it very inexpensively.

Inflate the Potenza to around 40-42 lbs.

Run your rear shocks at 3 or higher.

Darksiding will change your speedo error from +10% to around +3% - giving you a much more accurate speed reading.

Instead of the usual 8 to 9 thousand miles on the OEM rear tire, the Potenza will give you upwards of 20 to 40 thousand miles before it needs to be changed. The car tire also tends to be less expensive than the OEM tire.

Numerous people who have used the Potenza car tire as their rear tire for many years have testified that there is very little difference in handling. There is more contact patch when upright (where you spend most of your time) and about the same or more contact patch when turning (even when scraping the center stand in deep turns).
I got the federal formoza 155/65/14 and about 8 inches or so of the bead does not seat around the rim on the side opposite the valve stem on both sides of the tire. I pumped up to 90 psi and NO luck. The tire shop does not want to go any higher but does this car tire (and others) need 100-110 psi to fully seat around the rim? 90 psi will not do? Tire shop is totally afraid it will blow if go any higher so he stopped. Please help!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
find a shop with a tire cage, and let the tire get hot in the sun. shops that work on racing cars and bikes specifically , usually have some good safety equipment and mechanics with a little "sense of adventure"

·
Registered
11 Posts
no tire shops around me have a safety cage. My eqmt. only goes to 100 psi smaller compressor, etc. Even tried a hand pump and that maxes out unable to go above 100 psi either. from the tire shops 90 to my 100 psi at home it did seem to bulge outward closer to the rim was about 1 cm in that 8 or so inch sidewall of rim from seating at home doing it myself. I know a guy but 3 hours away who has a long compressor hose in his garage and said bring it up we will either blow the tire UP and explode or it will seat the bead at 110 psi or higher. I guess I can take my chances, put my protective gear on with cycle helmet, go downtown again and use that tire shops outside air compressor and give her hell and hope I do not get injured. The tire guy age 73 or so did not feel it would be necessary to go above 90 psi in any tire, but then again he has never mounted a car tire on a 14 inch cycle rim either does mostly farm eqmt. and car tires. and I highly doubt any cycle shops around me will even consider blowing up and for sure NOT mounting a car tire on any cycle rim. If I knew it might take 110 psi or higher to get this thing mounted, I might have thought twice about this dilema.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
there is almost as good a chance of the rim breaking as the rubber exploding, make sure your safety gear is bulletproof and shrapnel resistant, (there's a difference) or , let it sit in the sun, a day's delay is worth an arm or an eye, or both ears

21 - 40 of 55 Posts