Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a "Darkside Bible" to include everything anyone needs to know about it in one place. Here goes...and feel free to add to this (no anti-darksiders please):

Burgman 650 darkside rear tire options: Bridgestone Potenza RE92 in 165/65/R-14 which fits the original Honda Insight (most popular option), or the Semperit Winter Grip Radial in 15/65-R14.

Purchase: Check the 4 digit date of manufacture on the sidewall to be sure it is less than 3 years old. The code is the week and year it was made. For example, 4908 means the 49th week of 2008.

Price: Expect to pay approximately $75 to $95 for the car tire.

Changing the tire yourself: See LeDude's instructions on his website (props to LeDude, who has done so much for Burgman riders!)

Installation: Use lots of lube and it will take approximately 100-110 lbs of pressure to seat the bead.

The Potenza has a speed rating of S (up to 112 mph/180 km/h)

If your local Motorcycle shop will not put the tire on, then check with an independent tire shop who will likely do it very inexpensively.

Inflate the Potenza to around 40-42 lbs.

Run your rear shocks at 3 or higher.

Darksiding will change your speedo error from +10% to around +3% - giving you a much more accurate speed reading.

Instead of the usual 8 to 9 thousand miles on the OEM rear tire, the Potenza will give you upwards of 20 to 40 thousand miles before it needs to be changed. The car tire also tends to be less expensive than the OEM tire.

Numerous people who have used the Potenza car tire as their rear tire for many years have testified that there is very little difference in handling. There is more contact patch when upright (where you spend most of your time) and about the same or more contact patch when turning (even when scraping the center stand in deep turns).

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I've ordered my Potenza 92. Cost: $75 from a local Firestone tire shop. Should be in this Wednesday.

I'll be replacing my quite flat (but not deflated) original TH-01 after only around 9000 miles (currently 8500).

·
Registered
461 Posts
GOOD JOB BURGER !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
this is a great idea can we get "books of the bible for different years? and models like in dthe beginning was the burgman400 06 and below ??kind of thing I will be darksiding my 08 400 just as soon as the warranty is out and I can get the information,

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Yes, a very good and informative post. At some point your "bible" should be filed in Kory's new Burgman Knowledge Base (BKB).

Are you able to take a couple of pictures of the Potenza tire you're talking about and posting them? I'd like to see a side view and a view of what the tire looks like from the rear. I may be able to find pictures somewhere on the net, but if you could do this others might also be interested.

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
No tire available in the USA looks like it'll work on the older model 400 due to the limited clearance to the engine.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I'm looking at tyres here in Oz to put on my older Burgie. Best I can find so far is a Bridgestone 175/75-14. Any chance this will fit or is it way too wide?

·
Registered
500 Posts
kuhnsmith said:
Yes, a very good and informative post. At some point your "bible" should be filed in Kory's new Burgman Knowledge Base (BKB).

Are you able to take a couple of pictures of the Potenza tire you're talking about and posting them? I'd like to see a side view and a view of what the tire looks like from the rear. I may be able to find pictures somewhere on the net, but if you could do this others might also be interested.

Thanks.

Gary
+1, It would be nice to have it as a one stop shop, installation, pictures, pros and cons, types, pricing, suppliers, etc... That way riders can make an informed decission to Darkside. This is a great start.

Rob

·
I'm Retired
9,382 Posts

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
farqhuarforever said:
I'm looking at tyres here in Oz to put on my older Burgie. Best I can find so far is a Bridgestone 175/75-14. Any chance this will fit or is it way too wide?
Gary, I think that Tyre is TOO tall and TOO wide. A 165(mm)/65(%)-14 just fits with enough room in all areas. Any taller (75%) and it will hit on the front of the swingarm.

A 165mm wide tire/tyre at 65% will have a 107.25mm sidewall times 2 sidewalls plus the 14 inch rim = 22.76 inches diameter.
A 175mm wide tire/tyre at 75% will have a 131.25mm sidewall times 2 sidewalls plus the 14 inch rim = 24.74 inches diameter.
That extra 1 inch raidus is too much. DaveJ

·
Registered
470 Posts
Note Moderators:

Possible "Sticky" thread option for those of us who have gone over to the DS.

10 000 km on my CT...no going back for me!

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
hosejockey982 said:
Note Moderators:

Possible "Sticky" thread option for those of us who have gone over to the DS.
As Gary stated above, this type of material would be best suited for the Knowledge Base, where multiple users can edit the information. I have not kept up with everything DS, so all we need are the people most knowledgeable about DS to sign up as contributors to the BKB. I have copied over the first thread in this post to get it started.

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Darksiding+-+Car+Tire

G

·
0 Posts
Well Guys,

I've gone and done it now! I'm sure I'm goin' to hell on a Harley...my Burger will blow up on the Interstate and kill a hundred innocent truckers and my "kickstand" will fall off. Today, Lord help me, I took the leap to the Darkside. Yesterday, I replaced front and rear brake pads (it was easy) after 23k miles. Today, I had my friendly local motorcycle repair shop mount a Potenza 165/65/R14. It was kinda funny...the tire store, where I bought the Potenza, is right next door to the bike shop but they would not even entertainment the thought of mounting the tire. Tom, at the bike shop, said he didn't care what kind of tire I wanted mounted as long as I gave him his $20.00. It took 106 lbs of air pressure to seat the tire and when it did it sounded like a gunshot. I have already put a hundred miles on the tire, just to scrub the new off. It does seem to push a little in tight turns but it took all of about three turns to get used to it. I live down a gravel road and it is much more stable than the OEM tire in gravel. The main difference I find is with the speed odometer. I'm still trying to do the math for the 10% defect. Oh well, I'll get used to it. My grandson and I are headed down to the "Dragon" for a week in August, I'll let you guys know how it feels on a long ride. :D

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
My tire shop called to say my Potenzas are in!

Even though I only needed one, they ordered four anyway. I'll pick mine up tomorrow (7/12/09) and let you all know what the manufacture date is, in case anyone wants me to ship them one.

I probably won't mount it right away. I'm at 9500 miles on the original rear. I'll take it past 10,000 just to say I did.

On an interesting note, the Firestone tire dealer I'm buying from said they would mount the tire if I brought them the rim. No fears about it being a MC rim. I'll probably have my local MC parts/service shop mount it, just because they're a MC shop.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got about 7500 mi. on my factory tires and was considering the Dark Side option. But after waching the video on the Valkerie (sp) comparisons I'm really having second thoughts due to the tread and road contact patterns. Think I'll just set back and watch the coming postings about this issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is my darkside testimonial: Since going with the car tire (the Potenza) on my 650, I have experienced no downside...zero, zilch. I ride my Burger like a sportbike and can easily scrape the center stand on the CT the same as with the OEM tire. You have to take it easy the first 100 miles or so and during that time it will wobble a bit at 95-100 mph (actual not indicated), but after that it rides like a dream (once it settles). I have more traction and stopping ability while upright and about the same as the OEM tire when turning VERY hard in corners and scraping the center stand. The bike sits slightly higher and the speedo error is only off about 3% instead of the original 10% or so. Also, for some reason, the CT feels more stable and handles WAY better in the rain. Moving the bike when the engine is off is much easier with the CT for some reason. The CT costs less and will last 3-4 times longer (upwards of 30-40 thousand miles vs. 7-8 thousand on OEM). Believe me, I push my Burger to the limits and have yet to find ANY drawback to using a CT. I also have yet to see anyone who switched to the darkside wish they hadn't. People should not be so quick to argue against it if they haven't tried it themselves.

And finally, I end with something funny: I just purchased a T-shirt at a local bike night that says "Come to the darkside...we have beer!" If that is not convincing then nothing is....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts