Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about going to the dark side with the Bridgestone Potenza because I have a trike but is it true that by doing so, I am inviting a blowout unless the tire is installed the way it has to be like I recently just read? Are you fine people saying that a "normal" imstallation is going to significantly increase the chance of a blow out? If so, I may not dark side.

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
I would have thought the chances of a blow out are equal or less than with a standard tyre.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
tomfelock said:
I was thinking about going to the dark side with the Bridgestone Potenza because I have a trike but is it true that by doing so, I am inviting a blowout unless the tire is installed the way it has to be like I recently just read? Are you fine people saying that a "normal" imstallation is going to significantly increase the chance of a blow out? If so, I may not dark side.
I can't talk about Darksiding a 400 but as far as I am aware blow out on the 650 is a non issue. I am not quite sure what you mean here.
unless the tire is installed the way it has to be like I recently just read?

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
No, the blowouts were during the mounting of the tire. The key is SLOW, allow the tire bead to stretch a little over time to fit the MC wheel.

What happened to me was with a VeeRubber tire. The changer guy tried to rush it with really high (>100 psi) air pressure and the side wall of the tire failed. Well, duh. It is normally 35 psi maximum rating psi. Trying to JAM the tire quickly on the rim will not work.

Once you have the tire properly mounted I expect about 15k - 20k before needing change. Keep the tire balanced, etc. I think the real key is the huge tire adhesion area, and the water discharge tread design. BUT I also feel that you can not be an agressive rider and do the CT because it has very limited sidewall tread and is NOT meant to be ridden anywhere but on the flat tread area, i.e. stay upright or don't do the CT.

On a trike the tire should perform very well because you are not leaning the bike at all, or very little. I think that the larger tread adheasion patch will suit a trike configuration very well. However, like all unauthorized modifications "you are your OWN warrantee station"

I rode to work first day on my Potenza today and it was like floating on a cloud it was so smooth. I had forgotten how really fine the ride can be. I even went back to town (40 mile round trip) for some components for work during the hottest part of the day just to see if the 20* hotter middle of the day (morning 70*, middle of the day 90*) was going to make any difference. Not one bit, just as smooth this afternoon as this morning, and just as smooth at 5 p.m. (about 80*) as the other 2 rides. So cranked on 80 miles today and it was really a fine ride all day. Let's see, getting payroll time to go ride your scooter for an hour, not bad eh?, but someone HAD to go get the parts, hahahaha.

Bob Weis

·
Registered
415 Posts
Another thing that helps get the tire properly seated during installion along with slow pressure is heat. Just set the tire out on a hot day in the sun, it really helps. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gentlemen for clearing that up. I think when the time comes I will ask my Suzuki dealer what he thinks about darksiding. He will probably say it isn't a good idea because he knows the tire will last longer and that will mean less revenue from me, but since I plan on getting the extended warranty from him I think I will comply with whatever he says.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Potenza 165/65/13

If you want the actual physical dimensions I wrote a reply under the "dark side" thread about how to calculate that.

If you want me to measure mine I can do that as well.

BobWeis

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Burg 400 and plan to darkside (did a car tire on my Buirgman 650 last 30000 miles - no problems).

I live in East TN (Heard of the Dragon - 318 curevs in 11 miles and many roads like that). I don't knee drag, but I hang out on it. Not an issue. Friend on Valkyiries (has thre of them and rides them hard - Darksided for years). One picture of him on Dragon with exhaust pipe about 2 inches off the pavement - car tire). Do not worry so much about curves my friend, you never get past the tread area of the edge of the tire.

Any Comments on any of these for Burg 400? ( Imight should ebon another topic or start one asking for information - I will search some on the site first).

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/r...4&s_p=&m_s=3&x_tyre_for=ALL&suchen=View+Tires

In particular this one - symetrical tread and near right size. 155 70R 13

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/r...smFahrzeugart=ALL&details=Ordern&typ=R-170600

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
How much clearance is there between the tire and the engine/tranny casting? I would think that's the critical dimension.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
How much clearance is there between the tire and the engine/tranny casting? I would think that's the critical dimension.
I would say --- considerable more that the 2.5mm extra width from center of tire for a 155 70 13 vs a 150 70 13.

Plug numbers into the Calculator Link I provided in a previous post and gives you a lot of information.

By the way - give credit to the guy that posted that Calculator Link before I did. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Exciting news men... I currently have a new Shinko on the rear of mine, and I just went outside and did some measurement tests... I was able to put the middle finger of my left hand down between the tire and the transmission case running my fingers along the center of the tire.
I was able to fit middle finger down until it hit the second knuckle on my finger , on the gap between case and tire center tread

I then used a dial caliper on the second knuckle of my middle finger and found that to measure at 20 mm!

I wonder if using an inner tube would be a better way to go and to seat that tire? I did that on my boat trailer tires and they never lost air over four years!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I have been posting my effort to put a Car Tire on the Burgman 400 with pictures.

It was difficult to install on the rim, but with help I managed that.

Now, problem is seating the bead. I am not going to expand on that here (see my other post for DETAILS and PICTURES).

I will include two pictures here of the seating situation as it stands now. They show hom much of the tire is under the rim where it is not seated as compared to the area where the bead is seated. It is not good.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Not to change subject , but some people kept asking how much air pressure you should use to seat the beads on a tire. With the rim and tire dripping in soapy water and with the Schrader valve removed this is What Goodyear had to say:

"ANSWER: After lubricating the beads of an auto tire, no more than 40 PSI, should be used to seat the beads. If the beads don't seat at 40 PSI or less, deflate the tire, turn it 180 degrees on the rim, and inflate again. ONCE AGAIN, NEVER EXCEED 40 PSI WHEN MOUNTING AN AUTO TIRE ON A RIM IN YOUR ATTEMPT TO SEAT THE BEADS."

·
Registered
709 Posts
I see what you mean Paul , I can feel your frustration there buddy... Can I suggest that you remove that one side ( re break the bead) re lube it heavily with Scortching hot soapy water (boil the kettle) also remove The valve core when using the air to seat the beads for a high speed flow, you'll need a fast air supply 30 gallon compressor preferred or above.

The only reason that tire is sticking is because the rubber cannot slip over the rim due to lack of lubrication.

You're almost there buddy, you got her you'll be alright!!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Not to change subject , but some people kept asking how much air pressure you should use to seat the beads on a tire. With the rim and tire dripping in soapy water and with the Schrader valve removed this is What Goodyear had to say:

"ANSWER: After lubricating the beads of an auto tire, no more than 40 PSI, should be used to seat the beads. If the beads don't seat at 40 PSI or less, deflate the tire, turn it 180 degrees on the rim, and inflate again. ONCE AGAIN, NEVER EXCEED 40 PSI WHEN MOUNTING AN AUTO TIRE ON A RIM IN YOUR ATTEMPT TO SEAT THE BEADS."
In my recent atempt to seat the Car tire on the Burgman 400 - a friend of mine responded with that information and a number of other limnks that express very low PSI fr seating. The highest he found a a MC tire was 57PSI on a Bridgestone.

It is worrisome to go to 100 psi for sure, and I did not want to do that.

At the same time - 40psi seem s ridiculous as most of my tires give a maximum pressur omn the sidewall of 44 psi (some are less) and obviouly tha tressur builds under use (heat). I run 40psi in my cars for years and on the MCs very enar 40.

Smart, I do not know?

An example of Tire Installers -- I took this Car Tire and Wheel (400) to a used tire dealer after I had the tire on a rim to letr them nbead it as I only ahve a small compressor. Long story on that in the other Topic I have made about my efforts. But, when it did not seat at 90PSI, he said - we usually just add pressure until they do seat. He was of course talking Car Tires on Cars, but I wonder how much presure they use at times.

Here is a post another guy made as part of my topic about my 400 efforts.

I had problems with my 650 CT seating also. Once I took it to work & used ours here that puts out more CFM it seated at 80 psi. My home compressor wouldn't seat it at 110 psi. Difference is like a 1/2" garden hose at 100 psi & a 2 1/2" fire engine hose at 100 psi. Pressure is the same but guess which one is going to knock you down.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I see what you mean Paul , I can feel your frustration there buddy... Can I suggest that you remove that one side, re lube it heavily with Scortching hot soapy water (boil the kettle) also remove The valve core when using the air to seat the beads for a high speed flow!
It is that way on both sides.

I have lubed it heavily with PRELL shampoo. My neighbors compresor attachment requires a valve stem to open the nozzel he uses. So, I am out of luck there. I think most compressors are limited in air volume except for some industrial use. See the previous post that I copied a guys use of his Job compressor (high volume).

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would not go above 40 or 50 psi without the wheel being in a cage,
I have seen a few close calls and know of a few deaths, there were the
outline of one poor chap on the ceiling of a tyre shop I used to use.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.