Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened. On my way to work on Tuesday, June 22nd, I was involved in an accident with my 650 Burger. My handle bar was tapped on the left side causing me to loose control. The female driver, who was on her phone at the time, never looked or signaled. I moved as far right as I could in my lane (parked cars to the right of my travel lane) while simultaneously braking and laying on the horn. However, she came over to fast. The effect of her car touching the handle bar was the same same as a severe counter stare and down I went.

The bike landed on my left foot and skidded came to rest about twenty feet from me after I stopped tumbling. This occured on Memorial drive in front of the MIT campus, which runs along the Chrarles River in MA. Fortunately, there were witnesses who rushed to my aide. The Cambridge police and fire department were there in no time.

Both the police and the doctors were amazed at the limited extent of my injuries. Outside of the bike falling on my foot, the SDI boots, Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and gloves and the HJC full face helmets did their job. I now have four pins holding my dislocated foot bones in place (none borken thanks to the boot).

My Burger has some rode rash from sliding on the left and right side. One broken side mirror, slightly damaged handle bars, and muffler. The tow truck driver, who delivered it to my home, thought that it was one cool bike.

I just got the police report today which indicated that the driver of the car was sited for an illegal lane change violation whcih caused my accident. My wife, who I think is the best woman in the world, wants me to fix the burger and get back 'on the horse' as she puts it. Well, I'm going to take it easy for a couple of days, the look into getting the burger and me fixed up.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share my story. Thanks for listening. :(

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Glad that you weren't hurt worse, although I imagine the foot injury is painful.

The one item of protective gear that I am sometimes tempted to go without on a short local run is my riding boots. After all, with no foot controls on the scooter, it is easy to ride with soft shoes as long as they have grippy soles so that they won't slide on pavement. The write-up of this accident reminds me why that is not a good idea.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Glad to hear your relatively ok Propnut. Get the bike fixed while you're mending and it should be ready to ride again before your ankle is ready. One note is that either way, in your car or on your bike you were in the wrong spot at the wrong time. She would have hit whom ever was there. Unfortunately it was you and you were on the bike at the time.
Get well soon and mend up.
Regards Allan

·
Registered
308 Posts
propnut said:
The female driver, who was on her phone at the time, never looked or signaled. . :(
She needs to be beaten by a gang of scooter folk. Seriously tho, when youre up again - let us know, Im local - we will ride.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hats off to the gear. Glad to hear your ok, except for the foot. I hope she had insurance. :evil:

Listen to your wife.....get it fixed and RIDE ON!!!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I too am glad to hear that you are ok. I pray that your injury heals and you can get back up and riding.

I guess this story really answers one of my original questions about what type of safety gear people use and benefits. As I said before, the only gear I used to ride with was a helmet. I sometimes, rarely, road with a denim jacket, just because anything else I put on made riding just too darn hot.

Glad to hear that your equipment worked for you. This may sound morbid, but I think it would be informative. Do you think you could post up some shots of the damage to the jacket, gear and bike? I think it would be good to see just how much damage the gear took instead of the rider.

Again, praises that you are alive and kickin' :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
captainfish said:
I sometimes, rarely, road with a denim jacket, just because anything else I put on made riding just too darn hot.
Buy a mesh jacket. I have a perforated leather jacket, and it works - the air flows right through it when I ride. There are now mesh fabric riding jackets available from several manufacturers - they have large wire mesh panels. They should work just as well, and offer a bit more protection. They weren't available yet when I bought my perforated leather jacket. Either are WAY cooler than denim - it has to get awfully hot before the perforated jacket would bother me. It's one of the best pieces of riding gear I ever bought. I also have perforated leather gloves - they are great too for summer riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, for your words of encouragement.

abm said:
propnut said:
The female driver, who was on her phone at the time, never looked or signaled. . :(
She needs to be beaten by a gang of scooter folk. Seriously tho, when youre up again - let us know, Im local - we will ride.

ABM,

Thanks for the invite, I will take you up on it some time in the not to distant future.

Captain Fish,

I will post some pics of my equipment and the visible damage.

Heads up on my equipment. My Joe Rocket jacket has a removable waterproof liner, and outer panels, leaving a wire mesh shell which holds the back, shoulder and back armor. It cost's about $259 dollars from my local dealer, but keeps me warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather, depending on how I have it configured.

I have learned so much from Pauljo, Allwalk and others from this board. It influenced my buying decisions on the scooter and equipment. I continue to learn from all the questions and answers in many of the posts on this board.

PBS

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...Buy a mesh jacket. I have a perforated leather jacket, and it works - the air flows right through it when I ride....Either are WAY cooler than denim - it has to get awfully hot before the perforated jacket would bother me....
If you have a perforated jacket, or even a solid one with good vents, there is a gel-filled vest you can wear under the jacket and that you soak in water. It will cool you as the water evaporates. Doesn't work well in humid environments, but in hot, dry climates it could be a lifesaver.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As with everyone else, I am glad you are for the most part okay and that your bike is repairable.
I have gotten a little complacent myself by not wearing a jacket at all times. This story and what happened to me last night reinforces the importance of safety equipment.
Anyways, last night I was cruising down the road and some lady in a VW new Beetle pulled out in front of me as if she did not even see me. To top it off, she made a left turn on a red light!
As I came up behind her, I flashed the hi beams to get her attention and wake her up. The Burgies headlamps really lit up the inside of the car and jolted her back to reality. She was definately suffering from Cranial Rectal Inversion Syndrome or head up her @$$! Mobile phones only exacerbate this condition!

Might I suggest that this thread be moved to a forum such as "general topics" or "Safety Tips" so that it may get more exposure? I think that non 650 riders would benefit from this thread as well.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks Pauljo for the bit of info. the 30 years ago when I started riding, it was either Leather or Denim..... and denim was in then.

thanks Propnut, I appreciate the effort. But, wait till you get back on your feet........ sorry for the pun.

Yes, these people on this forum are the best. I have learned alot after only joining a little while back. I am getting ready to purchase a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and pants, and the Jarow 2 flip-up helmet.

Again, take care of that leg. You only got one more. :lol:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
SilverBurgie said:
Might I suggest that this thread be moved to a forum such as "general topics" or "Safety Tips" so that it may get more exposure? I think that non 650 riders would benefit from this thread as well.
I agree totally with you, I'm moving it to general discussion so hopefully more will read it and learn the value of gear. Good suggestion.......thanks

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
allwalk said:
I agree totally with you, I'm moving it to general discussion so hopefully more will read it and learn the value of gear. Good suggestion.......thanks
How'd you do that brother? The newest "Forum Moderator" needs some training... PM me with instructions when you get the chance. No rush - I'll be off exploring South Dakota the next several days... Thanks

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Burger Crash

I've been riding larger motorcycles recently and never had as much
problems with cars as I have now with my Burger.

I think people associate it with those little scooters that creep along
the shoulder or something.

I bought a screaming yellow jacket and it's helping. Most drivers are
recoiling from the site of the jacket. It's better than being a target.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
propnut said:
[snipped] My handle bar was tapped on the left side causing me to loose control. The female driver, who was on her phone at the time, never looked or signaled. [again]

I just got the police report today which indicated that the driver of the car was sited for an illegal lane change violation whcih caused my accident. My wife, who I think is the best woman in the world, wants me to fix the burger and get back 'on the horse' as she puts it. Well, I'm going to take it easy for a couple of days, the look into getting the burger and me fixed up.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share my story. Thanks for listening. :(
First,

Thank you for sharing your experience and I am sorry to hear you were hurt but glad it ain't too bad.

I cannot believe the police are only charging her with a lane changing violation - do you not have laws on your side of the pond about using mobiles while driving? We do but the ar**holes still do it - but at least they will pick up fines or aggravated charges for using one (The police call up the mobile operator for evidence!) Personally any victim of a cager on a phone should have the right to kick the device into a 'dark place' of the perpetrator -(when their foot gets better;-) ).

It is a great discipline to wear the full protective ensemble, particularly when in high/humid conditions - your experience is further testament to the value of this. The mesh gear like the Joe Rocket encourage a rider to suit up in hot conditions - I have been looking for one myself but over here they are as rare as rocking horse sh**!

Hope the foot mends real soon and that you get a real good settlement from the insurance company. Also - sue her ass off!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey Propnut,

I'm so sorry to hear about the crash but glad to hear you're on the mend, your gear worked, and the Burgie's repairable. One of the few regrets I have thus far in life is that when I dumped my lil scooter back in '84 that I never got over my fear and never got back on it. It wasn't until '99 that I got back on anything close--a moped in Key West--and took another 5 years for me to get back in the saddle. :cry: IMHO, your wife has the right idea. :)
Heal well and quickly and join us on the road again soon, 8)
Bryna

·
Registered
308 Posts
NormanB said:
propnut said:
[snipped]

I just got the police report today which indicated that the driver of the car was sited for an illegal lane change violation whcih caused my accident. . :(
I would reccomend that you call the investingating officer and the states atty , and request that the charges be upped to diring to endager. They sometimes do it if perosnal injury is involved.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Witness information

Propnut,
If your wittnesses were students, go see them or call them and find out hometown information on them, I lost my witness that way.

I was also in an accident in Boston, April 3rd 1966, this was the last day you could ride without a helmet and I chose to go topless. I had left Brookline on my way into the city. I was on Comm Ave when a cab pulled out from between two buildings and turned left into my lane. Its a divided road at that point and he forgot something at his office. He was totally wrong. There was not enough time to ditch my bike, crash I was lucky to clear the top of the cab. I got names of two witness and being students and school got out in another month, they were never seen again. I was laid up for a month and my bike was totaled. My accident happened in front of the cab company and my witnesses disappared. I lost out all around when it came time to settle.

Happy Trails
Poppy, #482

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ABM,

Thanks for the advice on calling the police. I did so this morning and they are considering it.

Poppy,

Good call on contacting the students. I am in process on that. I will try using this thread to keep everyone informed of my progress with this incident.

Again, thanks for all the great advice and encouragement.

Allwalk,

I feel so greatfull regarding all your and other moderator's work that I would like to make a small (monetary) contribution for the up keep of the site. Could you direct me on where to send it. Thanks in advance. (Yeah I know no one ever asked for money for this site, but just like some of the shareware and open source software I use, I like the idea of encouraging and helping those who are motivated to contribute to society without expecting anything in return. Since I am not as motivated to give in terms of time, work and family obligations are my excuse, money is my alternative).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts