Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
In the near future i attend to relocate in new town but continue to work on my current town.
The distance is 110 km one side, i can not drive a car because of the teaffic.
I want to buy a motorcycle ,and i concidered to buy a burgman 650 or an honda cb500x.
What you guys think about it?scooter or motorcycle? What will be more "fun"for riding every day for 110km
Each side......
Thnx.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If its strictly for commuting, I think the Burgman 400 is the best bike on the planet. Practical, economical, maneuverable, lighter, the most storage, longer tire wear, etc. Okay, not a lot of wow factor, but a very solid performer, in most situations.

However, if your commute is long stretches of high speed, open highway, the 650 might have an edge.

Don't know much about the CB, but heard it's a good bike. However, with commuting, there has to be a practical side to it; like storage for packing rain gear, bringing home groceries, Protection from the elements, etc. Scooters excel in practicality.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that 650 will be smoother ride..but not boring??
With motorcycle i have the transmition to handle...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I know that 650 will be smoother ride..but not boring??
With motorcycle i have the transmition to handle...
Shifting gets very old, very quick in traffic. Get some tunes or radio in your helmet if you need entertainment.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Audible books....

650 if not your first bike
CB500x if it is your first bike

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Those are pretty different bikes. I do like 'm both, but own a 650 at the moment.
Overall the 650 is a great road bike.
It's not real flickable and it's not insanely fast for a bike, but it will do the ton, and handles the twisties with panache.
It has built in storage for long hauls, and great weather protection.

The CB500x is a great little bike. It's on my A list really. I haven't owned one. I did take one for a reasonable test ride and looked into 'em. I may still end up with one at some point.
On the plus side
It gets great MPG, better than even the newer 650's, and has great reports for reliability.
It has enough suspension to absorb bad roads, and do some mild off road.
Probably a bit cheaper to maintain and run overall than a 650.
On the down side:
You'd lack the weather protection and cargo space.
The bike's a bit buzzier than the burger.
You have to rev it out a bit to get it to move where the burger has the power on tap lower down. Even lower if you run it in manual (I don't).
Clutching in traffic can get pretty old and always chewed up my wrist.
Maintaining the chain is not expensive, but it is something you need to do consistently and often to avoid issues. Chains are also messier than the 650's enclosed gear final drive.

There are other bikes to consider of course, but I assume you've eliminated them for one reason or other and are down to these two.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Don't deliberately move to get such a long commute.

You are looking at the likelihood of spending 4 hours a day commuting, which IMHO is only bearable in a comfortable train, or in a car, if there's very little stop-and-go traffic.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hey everyone,
In the near future i attend to relocate in new town but continue to work on my current town. The distance is 110 km one side, i can not drive a car because of the teaffic. I want to buy a motorcycle ,and i concidered to buy a burgman 650 or an honda cb500x..
Consider the TMAX 500 scooter. You can get a 2009 for a song. A little more highway "umph!" than the Burgman 400, still an automatic, a lot (100 lbs I think) lighter than a Burgman 650, and if you need a bit more storage it is trivial to add a "top box" to get that storage. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it on the commute you specify. You definitely will not find a TMAX boring :)

Here is a 2011, with under 2000 miles for only $5000 - and it comes with a top case and RAM mount:
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-Yamaha-Tmax-500-114974089

1 - 9 of 9 Posts