Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found myself in trouble after inspecting the valves. I tried to torque the bolts of the cylinder head cover to the specified 10 foot pounds and 1 of the three bolts (check the attached picture) stripped the thread of its socket in the cylinder head. I assume it had to be overtightened by the previous owner and I just killed the remains of the thread. So my question is how to repair it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well this is not as disasterous as it could have been - it is only a cover after all.

If this happened to me I would run a tap down the threads and see if I could get the cover bolt to engage with what is left. If this is no good then you may have to drill and tap to the next size up and use a 'custom' bolt.

Of course access is a bugger and you need to work good and true.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree... Not a HUGE problem, more of a pain in the (you know what).. Over-drill the hole ever so slightly and retap it with the next size... Whether that is metric or US standard. You may have to use two taps... A starting tap and a bottoming tap, to insure the threads go all the way to the bottom of the hole.

Another option is using a heli-coil insert.. These can be a real lifesaver, but the kit tends to be a little more expensive than a couple of taps and a drill bit. Both fixes are permanent.

As a precaution, you might check the other bolts and holes to make sure they are okay too...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
can you use threaded studs?
If I read correctly, you didn't BREAK off the bolts. So tap to next diameter and loc-tite studs in there. They will never strip :) Or J-B weld studs of the original size bolts in the (stripped) holes.
Studs cured the stupid leaking stamped tin valve covers on my old Chevy 350. So I think they can fix anything...:p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply, that's an idea I didn't consider, although I prefer to retap it as it seams to be the cleanest way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts