Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No major articles on scooters, but there is a full page advertisement for the Piaggio "X9 Evolution 500" scooter. Piaggio is the maker of Vespa scooters I think. A 100 mph top speed is claimed in the ad, plus storage space for two helmets under the seat. This is the first ad I have seen for that scooter.

There is also a small one paragraph news item on the Honda Forza 250cc model in Japan. There are two revised models, the "X" and the "Z". The "Z" model gets an S-Matic transmission complete with push-button six "gear" shifting similar to the Burgman 650. What makes it cooler than the Burgman 650 according to Cycle World, is the "Smart Card Key". It unlocks everything on the bike as you approach it. Just walk up, hit start and go!

They asked an American Honda rep if this model would come stateside. He stated that "The scooter market here is going really well for us, and we're looking at all kinds of product". Non-committal, but Cycle World's interpretation is a definite maybe...

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
No major articles on scooters, but there is a full page advertisement for the Piaggio "X9 Evolution 500" scooter. Piaggio is the maker of Vespa scooters I think. A 100 mph top speed is claimed in the ad, plus storage space for two helmets under the seat. This is the first ad I have seen for that scooter.

There is also a small one paragraph news item on the Honda Forza 250cc model in Japan. There are two revised models, the "X" and the "Z". The "Z" model gets an S-Matic transmission complete with push-button six "gear" shifting similar to the Burgman 650. What makes it cooler than the Burgman 650 according to Cycle World, is the "Smart Card Key". It unlocks everything on the bike as you approach it. Just walk up, hit start and go!

They asked an American Honda rep if this model would come stateside. He stated that "The scooter market here is going really well for us, and we're looking at all kinds of product". Non-committal, but Cycle World's interpretation is a definite maybe...
Read that mag yesterday as wel. First thong I thought of was that smart card. I can only IMAGINE the funny stories that will ensue when Americans get their hands on THAT! Since reading about all the problems with our neat little key on the Burgman650, I can only THINK about the "adventures" or MISADVENTURES of a smart card...... :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pappy said:
Read that mag yesterday as wel. First thing I thought of was that smart card. I can only IMAGINE the funny stories that will ensue when Americans get their hands on THAT! Since reading about all the problems with our neat little key on the Burgman650, I can only THINK about the "adventures" or MISADVENTURES of a smart card...... :)
Yeah. What if your "Smart card" goes dumb? Just kidding... Some high end cars do have those cards already...

Two things I'd really like to know.

1. I assume the locks are electronically activated, so what is plan B if the scooter battery dies? Not that you could start it and ride it away anyway, but you might want to get into the trunk, get access to the battery, etc..

2. If the system fails, or some pickpocket runs off with your wallet (with the Smart card in it), what is plan B? I'd have to know that there is a manual key override for all locks to be comfortable with the system.

But if the "Plan Bs" are covered - it would be a very convenient feature to have. And that Honda would add a "luxury car" feature like that to a 250cc scooter, does make me sit up and take notice.

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Pappy said:
Read that mag yesterday as wel. First thing I thought of was that smart card. I can only IMAGINE the funny stories that will ensue when Americans get their hands on THAT! Since reading about all the problems with our neat little key on the Burgman650, I can only THINK about the "adventures" or MISADVENTURES of a smart card...... :)
Yeah. What if your "Smart card" goes dumb? Just kidding... Some high end cars do have those cards already...

Two things I'd really like to know.

1. I assume the locks are electronically activated, so what is plan B if the scooter battery dies? Not that you could start it and ride it away anyway, but you might want to get into the trunk, get access to the battery, etc..

2. If the system fails, or some pickpocket runs off with your wallet (with the Smart card in it), what is plan B? I'd have to know that there is a manual key override for all locks to be comfortable with the system.

But if the "Plan Bs" are covered - it would be a very convenient feature to have. And that Honda would add a "luxury car" feature like that to a 250cc scooter, does make me sit up and take notice.
Yep, it AMAZES me that scooters have state of the art technology, yet are considers "girlie scooters" by so many. Go figure....

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Times change - some people can't keep up...

I still hear folks say so-and-so rides a "Big 'ol Harley". Seen any model Harley parked next to a Gold Wing lately? Seen a Harley Sportster parked next to a Burgman 650? There is nothing "Big" about a Harley these days... other than the price tag.

Of course Gold Wing folks can be just as bad. I had one - and I rode with the Gold Wing groups for a little while. Most of those folks knew almost nothing about other brands & models. Their whole world was Gold Wing. It is a great touring bike, I'll admit - but it isn't the only great two wheeled vehicle on the planet. I've always enjoyed the entire spectrum of road motorcycles, and I've sampled a lot of them. Those folks started to bore me - I had to move on. And, um, the next machine I bought was a Honda Elite 250 Scooter - how is that for over-reacting? :wink:

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Times change - some people can't keep up...

I still hear folks say so-and-so rides a "Big 'ol Harley". Seen any model Harley parked next to a Gold Wing lately? Seen a Harley Sportster parked next to a Burgman 650? There is nothing "Big" about a Harley these days... other than the price tag.

Of course Gold Wing folks can be just as bad. I had one - and I rode with the Gold Wing groups for a little while. Most of those folks knew almost nothing about other brands & models. Their whole world was Gold Wing. It is a great touring bike, I'll admit - but it isn't the only great two wheeled vehicle on the planet. I've always enjoyed the entire spectrum of road motorcycles, and I've sampled a lot of them. Those folks started to bore me - I had to move on. And, um, the next machine I bought was a Honda Elite 250 Scooter - how is that for over-reacting? :wink:
WHY does this sound familiar? Like when I switched from My Harley Superglide to my KLR 650 Enduro? From a Nomad to a Elite 250 Scooter? It's TOUGH being a true "enthusiast" isn't it? Well tough on the line of credit anyway. Wouldn't change it for the world either. I want to tast ALL there is, rag NONE of it. I just want to appreciate every piece of this experience called motorcycling. Have since around 1958 on a Cushman and too many others to count, much LESS remember.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hey Pappy, I got this real super "75 Guzzi 850T I can make you a deal on .....in case you've never had one. :wink:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The talk about different machines amuses me. I too enjoy riding and owning different bikes. However its not friendly on the cash flow. Thats why I make it a point to get out to the dealer demo day rides. This way I can taste a new machine for a bit without going broke and it satisfies the curiosity. It works wonders.....give it a try.

·
Registered
520 Posts
allwalk said:
The talk about different machines amuses me. I too enjoy riding and owning different bikes. However its not friendly on the cash flow. Thats why I make it a point to get out to the dealer demo day rides. This way I can taste a new machine for a bit without going broke and it satisfies the curiosity. It works wonders.....give it a try.
How do ya think I END UP with all these things? :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
allwalk said:
Pappy said:
How do ya think I END UP with all these things? :)
Ok Pappy no more Demo rides for you then....stick to the magazine shelf. :D
10/4

Trish has already started hiding my damned magazines too.....

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pappy said:
ted clement said:
Hey Pappy, I got this real super "75 Guzzi 850T I can make you a deal on .....in case you've never had one. :wink:
If ONLY my fillings weren't so special to me! :D
Ha! I rode a friend's Guzzi once. Almost lost my kneecaps the first time I hit the brakes. Those big cylinder's sticking out from the sides and my long legs just were NOT compatible...

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Pappy said:
ted clement said:
If ONLY my fillings weren't so special to me! :D
Ha! I rode a friend's Guzzi once. Almost lost my kneecaps the first time I hit the brakes. Those big cylinder's sticking out from the sides and my long legs just were NOT compatible...
LOVE the V twin sound, HATED the BAD vibes though. I just love "different" stuff! Good thing my wife does too..... :roll:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Pappy, if you had bad vibrations on the Guzzi it must have been a bummer. Mine, and others I've ridden are incredibly smooth other than a bit of loping back and forth when idling. I tested a new 750 one earlier this year and it too was super smooth. So much so it was sort of boring. I got the 400 instead. But now, sadly, the ole 850T just sits in the shed and never gets ridden. As with many of these old critters its easy to get more in them that you can even come close to getting out. Engine is in top notch shape but it still needs a good paint job and new seat.

·
Registered
520 Posts
ted clement said:
Pappy, if you had bad vibrations on the Guzzi it must have been a bummer. Mine, and others I've ridden are incredibly smooth other than a bit of loping back and forth when idling. I tested a new 750 one earlier this year and it too was super smooth. So much so it was sort of boring. I got the 400 instead. But now, sadly, the ole 850T just sits in the shed and never gets ridden. As with many of these old critters its easy to get more in them that you can even come close to getting out. Engine is in top notch shape but it still needs a good paint job and new seat.
I've ridden other Guzzi's that were fine also. I STILL loved it, just tore me up riding it (even WITH that love). But, I was already gettin old too. May just be that was my real problem? I just HAS to have an Enduro by them. But take that beast in the dirt and GOOD LUCK!!!! My Triumph Tiger was a "little" better (silk smooth) but still way too heavy. I wanted something on pavement like a Goldwing, and something in the dirt like my old Maico AW Redframe. Shoulda been EASY right? :?

·
Registered
100 Posts
bikes

different bikes? was riding an flhtc,sold it & got a sportster,sold that and got an rf900r,sold that and got a 1400 intruder,traded that on a buells3t,traded that for a 1200 sportster sport,traded that for a zrx1200r,bought a sv650,traded those two for my 650 burgman, i also have an 800 intruder that i have had since 2000. i always wanted a guzzi though.by the way the flhtc was bought new in 93 i'm not getting in to how many bikes i had before then.one thing,i have had more people ask about the burger than any other bike i ever had,the buell is second.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Re: bikes

skootertrash said:
different bikes? was riding an flhtc,sold it & got a sportster,sold that and got an rf900r,sold that and got a 1400 intruder,traded that on a buells3t,traded that for a 1200 sportster sport,traded that for a zrx1200r,bought a sv650,traded those two for my 650 burgman, i also have an 800 intruder that i have had since 2000. i always wanted a guzzi though.by the way the flhtc was bought new in 93 i'm not getting in to how many bikes i had before then.one thing,i have had more people ask about the burger than any other bike i ever had,the buell is second.
It IS downright SCARY how people won't leave you alone on the street with this scooter! I just never saw anything like it either. The worst part is, I bought it to "disappear", NOT attract attention. Screwed up again...SZomeone needs to build a 1200CC Scooter so I can go back into obscurity.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Pappy, I just looked at your web page and that pic of you and the cats made my day. I'm an unabashed cat person. Currently have 6 with their own door, plus 2 dogs. Mostly strays that people drop off in the area. They get to my place they have a permanent home with lots of care.

Back to 2 wheelers...the '75 Norton was the biggest attraction I ever had. So few had ever heard of a "Norton". Also was one the best riding, best seat (was young then), best handling. Bitch to get started sometimes.

The 400 doesn't draw much attention in my area. Mostly I get asked "do you need a license to ride that"? "How fast will it go"?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts