Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto part Automotive wheel system Pattern Rim Art

So the newly aquired 400 history being unknown I decided to take a peek at the variator and clutch to see what was in there.
I had bought a new spring for the clutch and a new belt. stopped short of buying anything else as I wanted to see what was fitted. First thing was the variator, oh dear, seems like something went wrong in there resulting in me ordering a new variator.
Not sure what has happened, bike seemed to be running OK no major problems but clearly this one could not go back into service.
Good news is the clutch looks fine. So I'll give it all a good clean out and reassemble the clutch with the new spring fit the Dr Pulley variator when it arrives and box it back up with the new belt in place, good job I checked it.

Wood Jewellery Auto part Metal Adhesive

Wood Art Gas Tints and shades Paint

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that ZRX. Clutch to my eyes looks OK.
Purple Textile Violet Material property Magenta

Case was a tad grubby but has cleaned up OK. I have a new yellow spring for the clutch so I'll split and fit that.

Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Motorcycle

New variator should arrive tomorrow. Transmission oil is good. Anything else to check?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep I will be stripping to fit the new spring so will give it a good looking at. When in UK I would replace all bearings as they are readily available from all over the place, (industrial North East) but here in Spain not so easy to locate so I'll just check all is well.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well to my untrained eye the rest of the variator looks OK. However that bushed part is very sloppy on the spindle, lots of play so I'm sort of glad I was pushed down the new variator route with the other damage.
Automotive tire Gas Rim Audio equipment Auto part

Automotive tire Rim Wood Circle Hubcap

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive design Auto part

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it's all boxed up and back on the road, need to give it a run out to see what it;s like but up and down the road all seemed OK. Would have been nice to change all the clutch bearings but I'll get some when I'm back in UK. The Dr pully variator caused a bit of a panic. When fitted I tried to fire the bike up to check operation only to hear a hell of a din from the variator.
When spinning the variator was catching on some of the internal webbing on the inner case. I had to take the angle grinder to the webbing and shave a few mm off to create enough clearance, not sure what was going on there. I should have taken a few pictures but was too keen to get it back together. Anyway all is good for the moment.
The Dr Pulley sliders are a different size to standard being 29 x 18.
I'll report back when I've taken it out for the day.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a nice ride out up in the hills, all seem good. I had ordered a Givi airflow from an on-line motorcycle warehouse in Alcoi so had a run up to collect it. Took the standard screen off before I went and fitted the new screen when I picked it up. Impressed with the airflow on the way back, much better than the standard screen, easy to adjust. So hopefully will just enjoy useing it alongside the 650 for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts