Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this blog and thought I would share it so folks can get a better understanding of what a CVT is appreciate many on here are well versed with the workings but others won't be

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Jolly Well Done maccecht ! I think I understand now .

Reactions: maccecht

·
Registered
108 Posts
One technical thing that article gets wrong, as many others do also, is describing a CVT as having an infinite amount of ratios. This is totally incorrect. There is a very finite amount of ratios, governed by the underlying electronic and software’s output precision, and motor. In the Burgman’s case, a stepper motor, is used. Typical steppers have 200 steps per revolution, but can be micro stepped for smaller increments. I doubt the burgman actually achieves more than 500-1,000 ratios since mechanical imperfections on the sheaves and belt assemblies, combined with backlash of the stepper and other parts in the CVT, will result in the belt staying in a preferred circumference, despite a small step of the stepper.
The other big issue of labeling it “infinite “ is, that they actually only allows ratio steps within it’s minimum and maximum diameters. No 20:1 ratios, no 1:20 ratios. That’s why the clutch has to slip when you’re easing forward at a traffic light, and why the revs can’t drop down when you’re doing 75 mph on the highway.
Technically correct articles refer to CVT’s as continuously variable, which is a much better description, than using the word “infinitely “..

Now back to your regular program😉

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
yeeah, infinite is incorrect, however, it does sound a little better than "butt-load"

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Technically, Infinitely Variable Transmission is a particular thing in engineering (IVT).
It’s a CVT whch varies all the way down. to zero - and even reverse.

”Infinity” as a popular concept is not the same as used in maths and engineering, where things can be “countably infinite”.

In an electrically controlled system, yes it’s true to say there will be innumerable small steps in the cvt element, but innumerable is synonymous in common useage (meaning a $#/¥load)
(only the 650 and the Type M being electronic)

IVT systems have additional elements including planetary gears that extend the ratios beyond a 650 style system.

In a technical article it’s best to save “infinitely” for IVTs rather than CVTs in general.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looking at the older freebie service manual for the AN650, it would appear our Burgmans actually use a traditional 2 wire DC motor, in combination with a linear position sensor. Not an actual stepper motor.
My bad.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The only thing I have to say is the 650's "E-CVT" is leaps and bounds better than any conventional CVT on the market.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts