Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently you don't have to take everything apart to get to the CVT, he says it took him 2 hours to get to this far:
He is steadily posting more pictures of the process, so check back from time to time.
Following this tutorial, a person could make a decent wage by fixing AN650 CVT's.

http://www.forum.an650.de/650-antrieb/1 ... am-k3.html

[attachment=2:2ltntrhg]SAM_2018.jpg[/attachment:2ltntrhg]
[attachment=1:2ltntrhg]SAM_2002.jpg[/attachment:2ltntrhg]
[attachment=0:2ltntrhg]SAM_2001.jpg[/attachment:2ltntrhg]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He is proceeding quickly:

[attachment=2:20s112e1]SAM_2036.jpg[/attachment:20s112e1]
[attachment=1:20s112e1]SAM_2055.jpg[/attachment:20s112e1]
[attachment=0:20s112e1]SAM_2043.jpg[/attachment:20s112e1]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
It is impossible to accomplish this in such a short time. I say we test for Performance Enhancing Drugs and take away his medals.. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Does he say in there if he left the front engine mount bolt in place and pivoted the engine down on it or if he removed them all and just let the front of the engine lower until it rested on the frame?

Also does he mention what if anything he had to unhook from the power module before he lowered it down?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow the posted link, the text may be German, but the pictures are not. He does show a lot of the stuff he disconnected along the way.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
It won't let me access it when I click on the link. Evidently you have to be member of that forum to view stuff on it.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Following the link, I was not able to find his posts. From the pics in this forum, it looks like I could have saved a lot of time rebuilding the CVT I did. Very interesting. If I ever have to go into another CVT, I will definitely do something along the way he is doing the job. I spent more time just getting the covers off the scoot than what he spent getting the CVT out.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Same for me. I had heard it could be done this way but since I didn't know what was actually involved with getting the CVT off the engine I went ahead and did it the way the manual says. If I ever have to do it again I will probably try this method.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I have seen a lot of pics and videos where the pros leave the front end and back end tupperware in place but they still lift the scoot up and separate the engine from the frame.

[attachment=0:1xdiul7v]burgman being repaired 01.JPG[/attachment:1xdiul7v]
It is possible to disconnect all the electrical stuff, not sure how one would lift the frame off the engine without removing the throttle assembly though.

I tried a bunch of different things, there is a little cross bar at its base that hit / came into contact with throttle assembly which ever way I tried.

I guess it maybe possible to lift from both ends to create a different angle, not a one man job in that respect.

It felt heavy enough to me without all the extra stuff on there when I separated the frame from the engine.

I was glad to have the open wiggle room to separate the assembly from the engine using a pry-bar, I guess it is doable this way from below.

I was tempted by the partial tear down but decided to follow the service manual so I could document everything.

Would be interesting to see how he puts the CVT back on, I couldn't see any CVT guides attached to the engine in the pics...

dropping the CVT in 2 hours is definitely a feat that deserves admiration...

ps: when I click on the posted link I am taken to a sign-in page... guess you have to be a member to view content on their site.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Looks like a fine example of flat rating. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable stressing god knows what just to get it out quicker. I would however not have a problem if I knew that something else wasn't going to be damaged in the process, but it seems to me doing it that way will stress or damage something despite what they may claim. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I think I would be more inclined to use the lower the power module down and just pull the CVT like the fellow on the German site. Like MJR I would consider raising the bike up and dropping the power module out like that to be a little iffy.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Looks like that is what he did. You would have to either do something like that or use some type of hoist to get the back half of the frame up enough to expose the CVT. And yes the shocks have to be taken loose as they connect the back half of the frame to the power module.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
not sure what that guy did but he seems to have actually pulled out the secondary pulley bearing out of the CVT case which is quiet unusual...
would not recommend that as you need a press to seat that one properly.
Like the rest of this feat, there are some interesting factoids once you start paying attention to the whole thing.
Shortcuts don't always yield the desired results.
Not a process I would recommend to anybody without advanced mechanical knowledge / background.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
LeDude said:
not sure what that guy did but he seems to have actually pulled out the secondary pulley bearing out of the CVT case which is quiet unusual...
would not recommend that as you need a press to seat that one properly.
Like the rest of this feat, there are some interesting factoids once you start paying attention to the whole thing.
Shortcuts don't always yield the desired results.
Not a process I would recommend to anybody without advanced mechanical knowledge / background.

yes, looks like he pulled the bearing out of the housing, then later realized he had to get the nut off the end of the secondary anyway, lol.

i signed up for that site and have looked at the entire thread. google translates pretty good. but i still see no conclusion. dont know how it turned out yet. but i will say this; if its possible to remove the cvt like that , then this is a pretty big deal! i could handle a job like that myself. i mean being able to leave all the spaghetti maze of hoses and electrical wire connection alone is a major plus!

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
cmn1771 said:
yes, looks like he pulled the bearing out of the housing, then later realized he had to get the nut off the end of the secondary anyway, lol.

i signed up for that site and have looked at the entire thread. google translates pretty good. but i still see no conclusion. dont know how it turned out yet. but i will say this; if its possible to remove the cvt like that , then this is a pretty big deal! i could handle a job like that myself. i mean being able to leave all the spaghetti maze of hoses and electrical wire connection alone is a major plus!
the engine removal is pretty straight forward and easy, disconnecting all the electrical connections is a no brainer, very easy to do, plus you get a chance to clean them all and make sure they are in good working order... Removing the throttle assembly is the only challenging part of the that phase.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He got it up and running just fine, but was disappointed about the poor suspension and seat comfort compared to his BMW R1200, so he put it up for sale.

Sadly he got some harsh comments and mud-throwing about his somewhat crude methods, got offended and replaced all his original text with "can only say thank you very much"

The harshworders deleted their text too, but it was to late to close the barn door after the horse had already fled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts