Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

381 - 388 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
hello, I`m a newbie here and I`ve faced a "code51" almost immediately after I`ve bought my 2005 Burg.
Let me tell the while story. I`ve purchased it at the service, knowing it had a CVT repaired now (plastic gears are new, belt and everything other is checked and it is OK), but my first ride on the highway ended with a FI light on just after the first stop. CVT didn`t shift up and blinked with "D" or "1" (if in manual mode) while trying to shift up. Switch ignition off and on and the error is gone for some time.

Then we`ve checked PPS and it appeared to be faulty and had up to 4 Ohms instead of about 2 Ohms needed. We`ve changed it and the next 100-150 miles I had a nice ride without any errors, but....

One day it showed me a FI again and this time it is ON few seconds after each engine start. Seemed like CVT motor doesn`t work - there was no sound of it after start or while switching between "M" and "D" modes. If I`m in manual mode it shows "1", I cluck "UP", it shows "2", nothing happens, then "2" starts to blink. Serviceman checked CVT motor - it is OK, and a spare one doesn`t work either - the is no voltage coming to it at all. Today we`'ll try to check connections and wires leading to and from CVT controller, but service manual states to change controller if the problem is still there and we only have a <2005 CVT controller, without an OD option, is it compatible with mine?

any new ideas about it?
In 2005 the CVT controller was integrated into the engine controller, all one unit unlike earlier years. 2005 was also the first year with the manual mode OD and they all have it. So if you have a 2005 and 2005 controller they are the same and can be swapped as long as you dont have a immobilizer system which could be on bikes outside the US. I don't know what your problem is without working on it myself though.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
7 Posts
as long as you dont have a immobilizer system which could be on bikes outside the US
mine has immo installed (japanese version named Skywave, not Burgman)

thanks for the answer, still searching for faulty place

·
Registered
7 Posts
here are some news - seem like it is OK for now.
we decided to check connections on ECM visually (unplug, check for anything abnormal, spray with some spray for connectors and plug in again), checked power wires going to CVT motor in/from ECM (my 2005 ECM is united with CVT controller as is stated above). We`ve found nothing suspicious, plugged everything back again and tried to start engine again. And... CVT motor is spinning, we do hear sound of it!... We`ve disconnected center stand switch (for ECM to think it is freely riding and prevent "only 1st gear" protection), tried to switch 1-2-3 gears and yes! It is shifting....

The only sad thing is that we don`t know exact place of the fault, the exact faulty place.

Serviceman will assemble Burg tomorrow and will perform some road tests.

Fingers crossed....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got my bike today. Seems like it is ok. Most likely there was just a faulty electric connection to ECM. As stated above, we've just unplugged everything, sprayed with a contacts spray and plugged back.

This conclusion was made while I was rapairing a relay responsible for switching braking lights on the front brake - its contacts were fully coated with oxide.

Hopefully I won't meet this problem again soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I`ve got an error again after 300km after "repair", when we just unplugged everything and it worked again. This time I visited electrician and we`ve found the problem - wires inside CVT motors were unsoldered. Seems like it is OK, but if you will try to move wires in the place they enter this motor they seem like move too much. It is not intended to bu disassembled, but it can be fixed if you have needed knowledge. And electrician advised me to change motor brushes before next season.

It is way too cheaper than buying a new motor instead.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
I am wondering WHY they desoldered. I have not seen that before on a Burgman 650. To desolder it must get very hot at that connection.
You may want to start looking for a replacement motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hope it will hold up to a season end, so I will be able to put Burg in a winter service to check plastic and other things. And we`ll check this motor again. Yes, I see it had some overheat of the wires and we don`t know why it happened.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys I have a k7 650 . Yesterday I had transmition problems no gear up except 1st and f1 red light in LCD. I have some noise at gearbox from 1.000 to 3.000rpm .Some advise please

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G975F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

381 - 388 of 388 Posts