Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i start hearing this noise from i dont know maybe the cvt i saw this video from youtube that have the same noise of my burgman 650 and when is in idle the noise start and stop if you can see the video or actually listen the audio http://youtu.be/0UMhuoGmwyg Any help thanks

·
Premium Member
14,253 Posts
Could be the primary adapter bolt has come loose and is rubbing on the inside of the cover. Pretty simple to pull the cover off and check it. The cover is a round sheet metal piece held on by two bolts. Remove the cover and look in the opening behind it to see if the bolt is loose.

If it is not that then you may have a bearing going out inside the CVT or worse yet inside the transmission. If it is inside the CVT you will have to pull the CVT to fix it. If it is inside the transmission you will have to pull the engine and split the crankcase to fix it.

Best thing to do would be to try to isolate where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Hey guys i start hearing this noise from i dont know maybe the cvt i saw this video from youtube that have the same noise of my burgman 650 and when is in idle the noise start and stop if you can see the video or actually listen the audio http://youtu.be/0UMhuoGmwyg Any help thanks

It would be nice to know what year your bike is and how many miles are on it and how long it's been making that noise . That sounds like it coming directly out of the CVT . When I used to install jcosta variators in Big Ruckus scooters , I would test them by revving the heck out of them with the covers off and they would whistle like that .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok thanks for the help! i got the 650 burgman and it have 28500 miles on it! and the year is 2005 the color is blue and is the non executive model... its start recently i hear the noise when is in idle and the noise start and then go away is like and intermitent noise! i saw anothers videos that the noise is permanent even when is in idle i think those bikes the problem is a little more advance but i just discover it and i already stop using it until i have time to open and start looking and see if i find the advice you gave me guys thanks. but the first day i here the noise i go to a power sport store with the bike and they tell me that to fix my bike will be like $1500 in repairs ���� but i hope will be the bearing thing they talk to me about the primary pulley or shaft and at the same time they recommend me to change the cvt belt too because off the milage my bike have ... thanks for the help guys i will wait for more answers ;)

·
Premium Member
14,253 Posts
28,500 miles is not a lot for the belt in the 650. They easily last twice that. Mine went to 84,000 miles before it gave out. That being said, if you have to pull the CVT and open it up then changing the belt while you are in there is not an out of question thing to do. It is pricey though at $300 to $400+ depending on where you buy it.

If the noise is intermittent then it is not likely a bearing. When bearings go bad the sound is usually constant.

An intermittent whirring noise like that on the 2005 models is not unheard of. A friends 2005 started doing that at around 45,000 miles and was still doing it when he traded it for a 2008 model at 69,000 miles. The sound would occur when we came to a stop like at a red light. It would whirr a few times then quit. It was loud enough that riders beside him could hear it. Never seemed to hurt the functioning of the CVT and he never got around to tearing it down to try to figure out what was causing it.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
keep in mind that noises get amplified when all the tupperware is removed and one hears all sorts of new noises.

unless you are having gearing issues, I wouldn't worry too much about it short of doing a tear down to take a look at the CVT components.

The 05 has the newer primary pulley bolt with the better design than the older 03-04 models that often suffered the dreaded primary pulley bearing failure and the stepping wear on the primary pulley shaft.

all the best...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey buffalo a have that same problem but its always there it never cut down but it is intermitent and when i start running it gets permanent beside the normal transmission sound the burgman have... and hey ledude so far i dont have gearing issues the bike rides strong and is in perfect conditins but that sound ipfir me is not normal thanks for your help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right know i was looking on your vids on how to take the cover of the cvt to take a look out like buffalo tell me!! and see whats going on!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i bought the primary bolt stopper that you change from the outside really easy and another question dou you think that noise may become from any sensor the cvt have maybe they are not working 100 percent

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If it's anything like that you'll have to pull the CVT and open it up to find out what's wrong, likely its a bearing but it will probably need other parts sorry to say.

Best thing would be to pull some bodywork off and use a long screwdriver to your ear against various parts to isolate the noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts