Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm a new member, but I've been lurking for the last 3 months since I purchased my 2009 executive which has been running really well until today when the F1 light appeared and the code was c51 - cvt motor failure!!
Okay, I realise it will probably mean taking the engine out, but, does anyone know if it is possible to change the motor with out engine removal
Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Hi
I'm a new member, but I've been lurking for the last 3 months since I purchased my 2009 executive which has been running really well until today when the F1 light appeared and the code was c51 - cvt motor failure!!
Okay, I realise it will probably mean taking the engine out, but, does anyone know if it is possible to change the motor with out engine removal
Cheers
Jeff
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/52148-f-i-light-code-c-5-1-a.html

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Stock+Electrical

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
If the problem really is the CVT motor then yes it can be replaced without pulling the engine. You will have to remove some body work to get access but the motor can be removed just by unplugging it and taking two bolts out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for prompt reply
I will check elect connections etc before I buy a new motor
Thanks again
Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me again
Took the Tupperware off and checked the motor - it works fine!!!
The bike runs ok but it is locked in 2nd gear or there abouts
It has also been showing a abs fault before the problem with the transmission
Now one of the causes of locked in gear syndrome appears to be the cvt speed sensor
Does anyone know if the cvt speed censor also works the the abs, ie are the two faults connected?
Cheers
Jeff

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
As far as I know there is no connection between the CVT sensors and the ABS system.

As long as you have the bodywork off, you may as well go ahead and pull the pulley position sensor out and check that it is functioning. Again you just unplug it and remove the two screws then pull it straight out. Check that the plunger on it moves in and out smoothly. If that is OK then you can test it for proper readings with a multimeter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the guidance, I was thinking the same thing
Hopefully I will sort it over the weekend, weather and work are getting in the way this week

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr Buffalo you are a star
I have removed the pps and the resistance readings are all over the place - certainly not linear as specified in the knowledge base
I have searched the web to found the part number and prices vary from £100 to £200 so tomorrow I will be double checking availability - they maybe cheap but are they in stock - should be on the road early next week
Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Sounds like you may have hit on the problem. I can't take much credit for suggesting it though. Others have had the same issue and reported it here and I was just passing on knowledge that others have provided.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bad pps.

I recently bought a 650 burgman that was condemed by a dealer as not worth repairing .Supposedly stripped splines on the primary. Do 06 burgies strip splines?The thing is fine except for the pps. I replaced it with one from Ron Ayers suzuki for $163 with shipping. I took the centerstand safety switch off for a test and ran it on the stand. Now perfect. shifts in all modes, pulls 4 grand static quick test, and the splines seem good, makes no rattle.All my knowledge of this bike came from the generous members here, esp. Buffalo. Thanks a lot. 2 more fixed 650's

·
Registered
8 Posts
On a side note of this fix, computer codes can be wiped by taking off a batt connection , and leaving it off for a spell. This is not to be done on new cars, but here with the relatively simple rig it is ok.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I recently bought a 650 burgman that was condemed by a dealer as not worth repairing .Supposedly stripped splines on the primary. Do 06 burgies strip splines?The thing is fine except for the pps. I replaced it with one from Ron Ayers suzuki for $163 with shipping. I took the centerstand safety switch off for a test and ran it on the stand. Now perfect. shifts in all modes, pulls 4 grand static quick test, and the splines seem good, makes no rattle.All my knowledge of this bike came from the generous members here, esp. Buffalo. Thanks a lot. 2 more fixed 650's
The "Burgman Transmission Failure Problem" worked in your favor for sure. From everything that I read only the first two years of the Burgman ('03 and '04 ) had the spline problems and can be easily repaired by using the Polish Spline Adapter kit.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
5 closest Suzie dealer here have never repair a 650 CVT, we know more about CVT on BUSA than dealer do. Would think that Suzuki would give good training to dealer tech on this, but this not seem case. Probably some 650 condemned by dealer when not the case, several BUSA member here repair them selves, depending on problem it cost them $650.00 to about $1600.00 in part plus them free time, that not at all expensive.

My friend hardlie electra glide classic in same time period have engine, clutch and tranny repair all at same time and cost almost $6000.00

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on cost - WELL DONE SUZUKI
The pps costs 150 dollars in USA which is about £100
In the uk the same part costs nearly £200 ie 300 dollars !!!
So I wrote to Suzuki uk highlighting the difference in cost and today they replied with the good news that the uk price has now been dropped to the USA price

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
So I wrote to Suzuki uk highlighting the difference in cost and today they replied with the good news that the uk price has now been dropped to the USA price

Happy for you, it good effort embarrass Suzuki UK little bit.

Proof not all CVT repair expensive. :) :cheers: :eek:ccasion5:

·
Administrator
20,110 Posts
It never hurts to ask. :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Tell them to stuff it and you will order from the states unless Suzuki UK reduce their price by 10% :p

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Wondering if the Sensor or CVT Servo Motor could be related. I sen t this as a PM to a guy and posted in another link. I ams earching where to go next (thinking my clutch looks OK). Clutch effort is posted in antehr thread as wella s my orignal problem of loosing power (25mph at 6000rpm, and eventually stopped and will not pull off). SUMMARY below.

Documented symptoms on here sometiem ago (Happened in late Nov or erly Dec 2013 - I forget). Lost pulling power suddenly on a flat road at 25mph, (6000rpm and stayed at 25mph). Eventually lost speed up hill, then stopped and it would not move (could feel a little bit of pulling power when reving engine up as high as 6000rpm).

My first thought was CVT belt slipping or broke or whatever.

Then someone on FORUM suggested a Check Clutch (rev engine up while holding brake on - short time on rev up, not over a couple seconds). It should not go over 3000 to 3600 rpm. Mine went to 6000 before I shut off.

I am able to see the secondary pulley does turn looking thru the Filter access (I assumed CVT Belt is OK) and based on the above Clutch Test, I started on the Clutch.

Clutch take apart and measurments made so far are documented here also. Finally got around to measuring plates (per LeDude Tolerances) and seem OK. All fiber plates are above the minimum limit, the tow Drive Plates #2 are 2,39MM (below the sd tolerance of 2.42MM by a couple hundreth MM). I do not think that would cause my problem.

Wondering if the CVT is working properly - maybe a servo motor problem or ECM and even though engine is going up in rpm, not getting proper shift on CVT to drive the clutch.

You talk of removing the Servo Motor and sensor and being able tos ee into the CVT. Am I right on that? And, how hard is it to remove the Servo Motor? Mine is a 2007 with 73,800 miles of pretty hard use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts