Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling the CVT out of an 08 650 , the bolt that goes through to the other side won't come off . What am I doing wrong ?

:confused::confused::confused: TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The adapter bolt? Not using an impact gun maybe?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The adapter bolt? Not using an impact gun maybe?
I used my impact when that failed I used a breaker bar ....I got NUTHIN ! That's not an opposite thread is it ?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I used my impact when that failed I used a breaker bar ....I got NUTHIN ! That's not an opposite thread is it ?
No regular thread. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Sometimes those threads get a bit rusty, maybe why they recommend a new bolt.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No regular thread. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.
OK I have a 36 volt Dewalt impact , in the cordless world the best you can buy . I stuck it in the charger and if that doesn't work I'll pick up an corded electric this afternoon . If I wind up stripping the corners off the top of the bolt can I drill the top off of it off ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Are you just trying to remove it with the impact gun or are you holding the adapter in place with a larger socket while you remove the bolt. The bolt is assembled with thread locker and torqued to 67.5 ft lbs and if you are not holding the adapter in place all that is keeping it from turning is engine compression. That might be absorbing the force of the blows from your impact gun.

This is the setup I used to hold the adapter when I took mine off. The large deep socket is a 32mm that I ground flats on each side of so I could hold it with the crescent wrench. A 4 inch 3/8 drive extension when through the opening on the deep socket with a 1/2 inch adapter and socket on one end to fit the bolt and a 1/2 adapter to my impact wrench on the other end.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Here is a picture of me using the same setup except with a torque wrench when I installed the new bolt.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We broke a socket and stripped the head of the bolt round , so the only alternative I see now is drilling the top of the bolt off ?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I've not had an issue with removing it with just the impact gun but tightening/torquing it you'll need a setup like Buffalo (I did the same).

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
We broke a socket and stripped the head of the bolt round , so the only alternative I see now is drilling the top of the bolt off ?
It sounds like. Those threads in the primary must be pretty rusted.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Bummer. I believe it is a hardened bolt so drilling it may be a bit of a job. Make sure you get a good center punch before you start.

Like MJR said maybe rusted or else someone put it in with permanent grade thread locker.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I have a 1/8" shank carbide burr set I bought from Snap-On years ago that works great in either a Dremel or air pencil grinder. One like this I seem to use most. They are great to center a punch mark for drilling, or recenter a hole after it's started, or for fine grinding away a fastener carefully without damaging threads.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/product...ipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I had the same problem 2 week's back when taking the CVT out of Robin's ex 650.

Ended up using an angle grinder and dremel to cut the head of the bolt off.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GOT IT !!!!!!

I drilled into the top of the bolt , and drilled , and drilled , and drilled :banghead:

Then after a LONG period of time . I took a hammer and chisel and chiseled the rim of the top part of the bolt off . Then there was nothing but the upper shank of the bolt sticking out . Now I know this is HARD to believe but I grabbed it with my finger tips and unscrewed it all the friggin way out .

Let me repeat WITH MY FRIGGIN FINGER TIPS , this is the same bolt I broke a 14mm socket with earlier this afternoon . :dontknow: Maybe next time I'll try the finger tips first :D

Craig , I can't find the bolt you told me to get to pull the stator , I just saw it some where and now I can't find it any where . What was it again ?

Thanks a BUNCH guys you saw me through another one of my disasters .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Then after a LONG period of time . I took a hammer and chisel and chiseled the rim of the top part of the bolt off . Then there was nothing but the upper shank of the bolt sticking out . Now I know this is HARD to believe but I grabbed it with my finger tips and unscrewed it all the friggin way out .

Let me repeat WITH MY FRIGGIN FINGER TIPS , this is the same bolt I broke a 14mm socket with earlier this afternoon . :dontknow: Maybe next time I'll try the finger tips first :D
Wow! Glad it wasn't stuck in the primary though.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
GOT IT !!!!!!

I drilled into the top of the bolt , and drilled , and drilled , and drilled :banghead:

Craig , I can't find the bolt you told me to get to pull the stator , I just saw it some where and now I can't find it any where . What was it again ?

Thanks a BUNCH guys you saw me through another one of my disasters .

TheReaper!
Figured it would be a pain to drill into.

This thread will point you to the bolt you need to remove the rotor. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/32-how/53804-650-generator-rotor-removal-tool-tip.html

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Figured it would be a pain to drill into.

This thread will point you to the bolt you need to remove the rotor. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/32-how/53804-650-generator-rotor-removal-tool-tip.html
Thanks for the info , and you were right on the bolt being hardened . I was using my DeWalt 36 volt drill and when it got to hot I alternated with my Makita . It got to the point where I thought I was going to burn up both drills , so I dug around in some of tools left over from my business . I found a whopper of a hammer drill (Milwaukee corded) so I finished it with that one .

My neighbor / friend was helping me , he tried to get the bolt out with a regular socket that split while he was trying to get it off . He thought it was coming lose so he left it on and it spun the corners off the bolt . :banghead:

It seams like every bigger job I tackle there is one of these glitches that wind up adding hours and hours to the job , add to that what the previous owner did or didn't do and it's an interesting day or two or three .......OR?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It seams like every bigger job I tackle there is one of these glitches that wind up adding hours and hours to the job , add to that what the previous owner did or didn't do and it's an interesting day or two or three .......OR?
Normal thing, happens all the time to me, mostly on Jeeps but the Burgy has done it too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts