Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Burgman has been the most spectacular piece of engineering that I've ever owned. For 8 years and 127,000km it has never let me down. I know of nothing on the market that gets close in terms of features, storage, weather protection, performance and safety, for any money. Unfortunately & with no warning, 100km out of town the CVT failed. The dealer quoted me $4000 for a new CVT. Alternatively they could fix it but I'd need to give them a blank cheque before they begin. $845 for the belt plus a minimum of $1300 fitting assuming they find nothing else wrong & don't need any other parts. It's a very sad day.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Boy that IS a sad day... :(

Perhaps it'd be more cost effective to just get a new-to-you used one - or even to buy one brand new. Nice to think about, anyhow...

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
Well, sorry to hear about a CVT failure. But 127,000 Km's is about 78,900 miles. We all hope to get that far for sure. Not too many Burgman 650's in the Breakers yards over there.

There are 6 up for auction on Copart USA but nothing over on http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/home.html

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Sorry your Burg has died. Wow those are some high prices. I would think for that you could easily find a good used one a model year or two newer{the $4000 quote that is}.

How have you had it for 8 years? Your signature says your Burgman is a 2008 and it is currently 2014, that would make it 6 years. Even if you got it in the middle of 2007 as an early 2008 it wouldn't be 8 years old.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Given what Burgman 650s go for in Aus I'd bite the bullet and get a new CVT and another 127,000 km.

or PM BikerSmurf and see what he suggests - he's got friends in the industry tho he's in Brisbane still he may have some suggestions.

I've got a 2009 Exec and I agree on the best ever ....totally reliable and if the CVT fails I'll just get my guy here to redo it. I'm figuring $2500 or so as I'm very confident on my mechanics cost and skill set plus I can source US parts.

If everything else on the bike is in good nick then that would be my approach.
I'm not convinced the new models have that much more to offer and they are a huge chunk of change in Aus.

The other approach is finding a wreck. Depends on your patience

This is you I guess

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/altona/parts/wrecking-08-suzuki-an650-burgman-exec/1049525039

this might be BikerSmurf's - right area

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nerang/motorcycles/suzuki-burgman-650-lams-approved-6mths-rego-rwc-excellent-con/1049434131

Maybe work something out with him. He might take yours as a project.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What would the dealer give you on a trade? What do you think you could recover by parting it out? Then you have the total cost of your ownership which would still be pretty cheap and it would seem in your case worthwhile to start again with a new one which hopefully would last as long or longer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It might be an interesting exercise to figure this for USA as well. Purchase cost new (at less than MSRP) 10 years /80,000 miles of use with normal fluid changes, CVT and/or belt failure, part out and/or trade for new one.

In some locations such as here in Arizona you don't need a car, and I left my car back in the East and rode a motorcycle over here and have been without it now for a month. My 400 works fine for local and errands. Been toying with idea of getting ride of car and renting when I really need. Then should I trade 400 for 650 which, without CVT failure, should be a little easier to service.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do used 650s have any value in Australia and is there a market for parted out 650s?

The 650 is overpriced in USA as well at msrp, but they don't sell well enough so that with a little shopping you can find a deal or leftover models at prices that are more inline.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
If you just suddenly lost power I would suspect the belt gave out. It is very likely that is all that is wrong with it and a new belt would get you going again.

I assume that $825 for a belt is in Australian Dollars. That is about $796 US with current exchange rates. High for a belt. Current Suzuki suggested retail for a belt here is $405.52 USD. That would be about $430 AUD.

If you could do the work yourself even with that high belt price you could be back on the road for less that $1000 AUD.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
He may have meant 8 hundred for a belt installed.
He said "$845 for the belt plus a minimum of $1300 fitting" and if I understand the slang correctly that "$1300 fitting" means the labor to have it installed.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If I get 127,000 KM out of mine I'll LMAO , I would call that a great deal and pretty much maintenance free in the scooter world . Any other scooter CVT would have cost this owner plenty over the 127.000 KM , he paid nothing over the years to maintain his CVT . Basically all those cost were saved up and came all at once.......sort of . Overall IMO this owner did well , I'll take that deal any day of the week .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
276 Posts
My local dealer who has a good rep told me they've only seen two CVT failures. One at 50,000 miles on a poorly-maintained bike, and one at 70,000 miles. They told me $1500 labor to repair if I ever needed it. I thought that sounded pretty good.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My local dealer who has a good rep told me they've only seen two CVT failures. One at 50,000 miles on a poorly-maintained bike, and one at 70,000 miles. They told me $1500 labor to repair if I ever needed it. I thought that sounded pretty good.

Did he also tell you how many they've sold ? If it was only 2 that's a 100% failure rate :D Was that $1,500 for a belt , or a complete CVT rebuild ? Also it would help if we knew where you live .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but 79k miles isn't bad.

you can easily repair the CVT yourself if you are so inclined. Check my Burgman Center for the CVT Repair DIY

There is no way to guess estimate the repair bill until the CVT case is cracked open and all the parts are inspected.

A simple belt replacement will run about $350-400 for the parts.

Hopefully the Primary Pulley has not been damaged, that's an expensive part $700.

I would definitely replace the primary pulley bearing no matter what.

As a DIYer, you can minimize the repair cost by doing the work yourself.

If relying on a shop, you are better off looking for a Burgman that has been totaled and doing an engine swap or buying a replacement 2nd hand one.

all the best....

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
simple belt replacement will run about $350-400 for the parts.
not in Australia :(

But stuff can be imported...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate - am in Brisbane - midway thru a CVT rebuild (2004 model)
I too found some of the parts from Suzuki Aust very expensive - especially the belt - was quoted similar to you
Did a bit of web surfing -found many dealers in USA that will supply at around 350 US - so in AUD mine became 384.00 plus postage and other parts
Have also upgraded mine to the later PP - cheers

·
Registered
630 Posts
At 127k, I'd call it a SECVT success, not failure. Bit over 40k myself, on the dreaded 2003 model, dieselling away happily. Keep us updated on how it works out.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts