Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachment=1:6wl6ip86]Photo1.jpg[/attachment:6wl6ip86]I'm doing some off-season maintenance and enhancements on my K8 400. Following Mitch's videos, a removed the inner CVT cover and added Dr Pulley sliders. Also changed final drive oil (the bike has about 8,000 miles on it).

Have had the very devil getting the CVT cover back on properly, especially with the gasket in place. Mitch seems to just pop his on. Mine goes on only with force from the ten screws, if at all.

I noticed in reviewing his video that a piece held onto the cover itself on his bike, kind of a red washer, on my bike seems firmly attached to the clutch assembly. (I never took that off in my maintenance work.)

Indeed, the metal pieces that I see hold it on Mitch's cover were bent out of place on mine (I show them sitting in the cover in the top pic.)

Can I just leave those things off and replace the CVT cover without them? I tried removing the red washer and won't move without considerable force. Not sure that I can get the cover back on with those two metal pieces in place, and not sure what purpose they serve if the red washer is not attached to the cover in the first place.

thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
the bent pieces can be removed and thrown away, they were on there to hold your support bearing inside the cover when you took it off, (the cover) since your bearing remained on the shaft it bent the pieces as the cover was removed, a little grease on the edge of the bearing or inside of the cover will help .

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Just tighten the small bolts evenly, the cover will pop into place. :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I took mine off today on my 08 for the first time at 9,700 miles. I think the secret in removal and reinstallation is doing everything evenly and not have one side closer than the other. Mine went off and on pretty easily . Based on what others have found when they removed theirs, I was surprised to find the inside of mine to look almost new with no dust or belt particles at all. I measured my belt with a tape and it looked like it was exactly an inch wide. I think the condition was so good because the prior owner and I both live in the sticks where red lights, traffic and stop and go travel are rare.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The CVT case on my 08 400 looked way different from yours. I had the same issue with the bearing pulling out of the CVT case, it had rusted to the clutch bell. I remove the retaining tabs, straightened them out, the bearing from the clutch bell, cleaned up and lubed up all of the surfaces then reinstalled the bearing into the CVT case, reinstalled the tabs then the case gently using a rubber mallet tapping around the bearing area. Never had the same problem after that, the case was still a little difficult to remove but the bearing stayed in the CVT case and remained rust free. Make sure the O-ring on the clutch bell is in good shape so grease doesn't migrate into the clutch area.

This is what my case looked like.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks. I removed those two attachments and it went on fairly smoothly. There WAS a lot of black dust, reflective, I assume, of all the stop and go city driving I do on it. I used a vacuum to remove all I could.

Took it out for a short spin and all seems in order. Had hoped the Dr Pulleys would give me and my 225lb body a little more quickness off the line. Not convinced that is the case so far. Considering the HiT clutch, but then I have my 650 for highway use and when I want more performance. The 400 gets stuck with all the Detroit-area streets. I'm sure the belt will need early replacement.

Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
InfernoST said:
The CVT case on my 08 400 looked way different from yours. This is what my case looked like.
Ooooops, I got it now, yours is an inside shot of the cover. :oops:

Thanks for pointing that out Mikey. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
My 19g Dr Pulley sliders shoot the bike off the line (compared to the stock rollers).
If I did it again, I would get 20g ones though, to "shift" sooner into a higher "gear".

One of my next mods will be to install a few threaded studs, to make CVT case installation easier. :D

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
One more hint. Use some automotive gasket adhesive to glue the flimsy gasket to the CVT cover. Much easier than struggling with it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
mike1nw said:
One more hint. Use some automotive gasket adhesive to glue the flimsy gasket to the CVT cover. Much easier than struggling with it.
Never had a problem with the gasket, just pull the stud's out of the cover and put them on the CVT side, it will hold the gasket in place.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
mike1nw said:
+1 :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts