Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should one check the width of their CVT belt with a micrometer on their 04-06 Burgman 400? Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that the minimum width is 20.85 mm? My RPM's are showing at 6500 rpm's is 65 indicated (not actual speed), but used to be 70 mph at 6500 rpm's.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, Could anyone tell me how long do the stock roller weights and the dr pulley slider weights usually last?

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
The maintenance schedule calls for checking it every 7,500 miles/12,000 kilometers. I usually pull the cover and inspect mine every 3rd oil chance. Spec for the minimum width is 20.85 mm (0.82 inch) according to my service manual.

I know mine is getting close to needing replacement when the rpm in thousands gets higher than the speed in mph. example 65 mph is 6,800 rpm.

I don't know what the normal life of the stock rollers is. I'm still running the original ones in my 06. Will be checking them soon because I'm coming up on my second belt change. They are still functioning without any issues so not sure if they will require changing or not.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
From reading various posts on this site, the stock rollers are bad when they get flat-spotted.

I clean my variator frequently so I don't worry about the DP sliders going bad. Keep belt dust out of the variator and they should last a long time. I also check the belt width often.

Be thankful you have an early Burgman. The belt for later years is stupidly expensive. Also be thankful you don't have a 650. Read about CVT belt change on THAT monstrosity sometime. :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
From reading various posts on this site, the stock rollers are bad when they get flat-spotted.
Mine did not have any flat spots on them when I changed the 1st belt at around 22,000 miles. Since they still seem to be shifting normally I don't expect to see any on them this time but won't know until I take it apart. That will be in about another 1,000 miles or so as I am at a little over 43,000 miles now.

I clean my variator frequently so I don't worry about the DP sliders going bad. Keep belt dust out of the variator and they should last a long time. I also check the belt width often.
I have never bothered to blow the dust out of mine. It hasn't seemed to cause any issues. I do clean the CVT filter frequently.

Also be thankful you don't have a 650. Read about CVT belt change on THAT monstrosity sometime. :cool:
I've changed the belt on three 650s now. It's not as big a deal as many would have you believe. With the shortcut method worked out by members on this and a few others boards you can do it in a day's work. And you don't have to do it nearly as often as on the 400s. The one on my 07 went to 82,000 miles before I had to change it. I've put 35,000 miles on it since then with zero issues. Total cost spent on the CVT in over 117,000 miles around $350. If my 400 makes it that far I will have changed the belt 5 time and probably the rollers at least once.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all this knowledge! One question, I was planning on switching out to Dr. Pulley Sliders once the stock rollers get worn out, but people have been saying to immediately put the sliders in, as their performance is much better than the stock rollers. Should I just stick in the dr pulley sliders immediately or should I use them once the stock rollers get flat spots?

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
I guess that depends on if you are satisfied with the performance of the stock rollers or not. If not then might be worth changing to the sliders with hopes you will like them better. If you do then I would suggest you hang on to the rollers just in case you are unhappy with the sliders. I have read of people having issues with the sliders.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If you install sliders on a pre-'07 400 it is essential that you at least "break" the sharp outer ends on the ramp plate fingers. If this is not done the sliders will get chewed up rather quickly.

This is what my sliders looked like after just 250 miles with the stock ramp plate:

Here is a new ramp plate showing sharp edges to broken and smoothed:

Better yet remove a good portion of the hook and smooth and radius the ends

Here are the sliders some 20k miles after I heavily modified the ramp plate as shown above:

I had the variator open 6 weeks ago (at 45k miles, over 20k since the above photo) and the sliders look the same as they did then--they have at least another 30k left in them...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Super helpful pictures! Ok I will use sandpaper and a file to smooth out the edges. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The plate is hardened steel. a brand new high quality file and aluminium oxide cloth will work; however better is using a grinder of some sort. A Dremel tool with appropriate stones and burrs works well...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Belt Wear

The OEM belt measures around 22mm in width.. This measurement is taken on the parallel sides and has no relevance to belt wear, no matter what people say.
The "V" faces of the belt will wear, and the only way to measure this is to calculate the depth from the top of the belt to the edge of the outer face of the "V" surface..
This is not practical as the initial side depth is not known unless one measures it before installation.
The most important belt wear test is to inspect for delamination of the centre section, ie bonding of the Kevlar laminations. To do this, remove the cvt plastic cover, exposing the belt and flex it with your fingers in an arch up and down... If a slit opens up between the Kevlar laminations this will indicate that the belt is on its way out.
I am on my 5th replacement belt which to date has done 42,000kms and still looks good. The width when new was 22.4mm and at 42ks the width is almost the same, 22.6mm due to stretch., which proves that the belt width does not indicate wear..
Roller wear is more obvious and I'm lucky to get around 35,000kms between replacement. I have ground off the sharp lips as recommended but it still wears "flats" on the rollers. I have never used after market rollers but have machined up my own increasing the outer diameter from 26.2mm to 26.35mm which did give me a small increase in speeds above 65mph. The bike has now reached 167,000kms. A few problems up to this point but still very reliable....johnD

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While looking at my CVT belt, I noticed theres a series of small cut marks. I pulled the variator off and to my amazement the rollers were all worn out. They developed very obvious flat spots. Does anyone know what could have caused my CVT belt to have those series of small little cuts on the top of it?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
While looking at my CVT belt, I noticed theres a series of small cut marks. I pulled the variator off and to my amazement the rollers were all worn out. They developed very obvious flat spots. Does anyone know what could have caused my CVT belt to have those series of small little cuts on the top of it?
How many miles on it? Difficult to say without seeing it, however what you describe could be normal wear/old age...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i took a measurement using the digital micrometer, and i saw that my current belt width was at 22.xx mm. I compared it to my new belt and saw that my new belt width was at 23.xx mm. There are about 8000 miles on my current belt. I will let it run and try to see where it may be rubbing against to cause those small cut marks. I'm using a file to file down the sharp variator edges right now so that I can put the sliders in.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just had my first great highway experience with the Dr. pulley sliders. My RPMs dropped almost 900!!! Dr. pulley sliders are amazing. Much smoother than the old worn-out rollers that's for sure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts