Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I wanted to ask people who are taking their CVT covers off to clean or otherwise, and you decided to drive the bearing that fits into the cover on the outside of the clutch, if you had used this (59mm) ?

I know some leave it on the clutch shaft but if you want to deglaze the clutch you need to pull it , so I would prefer it in the cover instead.

http://t.harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-95853.html

I brought it home and it looks perfect. Anybody used it ?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I probably should have used it. My bearing turned just a little bit different after I got it off -a bit tighter.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Interesting --

I cannot help with an answer as I have not gone that far (remove off the shaft). I had enough trouble getting the bearing in the cover and teh thing on the shaft to disengage just to get the cover off.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul, so is the bearing in the cover on the shaft still ? if so you wont need this

I had to buy a new cover because the variator came loose ( i must have messed up the tightening when i replaced the bearing, cleaned the clutch plates etc at 16k) and the variator destroyed the cover and itself. So now i have a new cover and need to put it all back together.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Paul, so is the bearing in the cover on the shaft still ? if so you wont need this

I had to buy a new cover because the variator came loose ( i must have messed up the tightening when i replaced the bearing, cleaned the clutch plates etc at 16k) and the variator destroyed the cover and itself. So now i have a new cover and need to put it all back together.
I am not real knowledgeable about this thing.

There is a bearing in the cover (held in by two clamps and likely pressed in also). The only thing on the shaft is a surface that goes into the inner race of the bearing in the cover.

Not even sure my terminolgy is correct, but I showed pictures of mine after I took the cover off -- picture of what is on the shaft and what is in the cover.

Hope it helps. Second pictrue is before I cleaned the shaft and first picture is after I cleaned it. (light emory)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Paul
Yours is were it was designed to be. Quite a few of us that have or had 400 have that bearing stick to the shaft. That is those little tabs that hold it in the case break or bend when pulling the cover off and the bearing stays on the shaft. Doesn't hurt or effect the operation at all. If you still have yours off put some anti-sieze on the inside of the bearing where it mates with the shaft. That should keep it from sticking to the shaft. ;)

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not real knowledgeable about this thing.

There is a bearing in the cover (held in by two clamps and likely pressed in also). The only thing on the shaft is a surface that goes into the inner race of the bearing in the cover.

Not even sure my terminolgy is correct, but I showed pictures of mine after I took the cover off -- picture of what is on the shaft and what is in the cover.

Hope it helps. Second pictrue is before I cleaned the shaft and first picture is after I cleaned it. (light emory)
i'm referring to picture 3 - on my cvt the "screws" are missing and when i took of my cvt cover first time it was left on the shaft (i believe the PO had smashed the cover with a hammer or something to get it on ) - i had to then remove the bearing to clean the clutch shoes and as it was damaged by the PO, i replaced it with a new one also - the fit of a new bearing and new cover was super "tight" , so i need a tool.

BTW I have since discovered you can also loan these bearing tools from most auto shops but not sure they have the size you need. so take the bearing with you

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I wanted to ask people who are taking their CVT covers off to clean or otherwise, and you decided to drive the bearing that fits into the cover on the outside of the clutch, if you had used this (59mm) ?

I know some leave it on the clutch shaft but if you want to deglaze the clutch you need to pull it , so I would prefer it in the cover instead.

http://t.harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-95853.html

I brought it home and it looks perfect. Anybody used it ?
How does this tool work ?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
O.K. How does one remove the Bearing is it stays on the Shaft when taking the cover off without damaging the bearing ?
If you don't need to take the clutch apart, it doesn't hurt anything to leave it on the shaft. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm thinking ahead to the time while I will have to service the clutch....anyone have the proper way of remove the bearing if it stays on the shaft upon removing the cover ??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts