Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my Air Filter test is ongoing.

Keep in mind, this is an early AN400 and pre 2007 do use an oiled foam element.

Pics are of simple 1" thick Poly Foam single density & small pore filter bought in 12"x12 size & cut to shape of Airbox.

The inner removeable piece that pushes filter down is a nice cut template.

I did a decent bit of research before fitting this.

Open cell Polyurethane foam is the correct material. Most OE filters are black, this was sold in white so shows dirt pattern more distinctly.

It's a good standby option if your stock Suzuki foam filter is trashed.

The polyfoam is sold at Hobby Lobby for about $5 for two foot square pieces.

That said, the Suzuki OE one is but $12-15 and dual density, I'd recommend a person to go that route if part is obtainable to you.

But it might be helpful to have a Fabrication option, so here's proof it ain't Rocket Science to cut a foam air filter.

(You might even meet a nice lady or 3 in Hobby Lobby in the process, always a plus...or at least gain street cred with your wife.
Somebody tell Mikey the ladies (wimmin, in Mikeyspeek) at Hobby Lobby are keepers vs the throwaways at the "Kitty Kat Klub")

My filter grabbed a LOT of dirt, and could have gone further still, by appearances.

But I wanted to try the Malossi Red Performance Filter Scooterpartsco sold me.
It was just $8 and is thinner with larger pores too.

I'd ONLY run this oiled up well - not overdone / dripping.

I put it in a gallon zip lock bag & maybe 2-3 oz of Gear Oil.

Knead thoroughly, 馃挴% oiled through.
Very lightly blot on paper towel.

(Not too much blotting, as I wanted to retain as much oil as possible using this particular high flow performance filter.)

I would only recommend this one if steering clear of dirt roads too.

It's definitely aiming to maximize Air Flow, while still filtering dirt.

I will post my MPG #s and subjective impressions of how engine runs.

My MPG has been running 62.5 mpg very consistently.

Worse was 61
Best was 67

Feel free to say what you see or expect for MPG on your 400

Or what you're doing on your Air Filtration protocol.

PS: Posting this mainly to document my test, not to suggest what anyone should do.

Ride safe friends - David
Mirror Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Automotive mirror
Wood Bumper Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior
Food Ingredient Recipe Animal product Cuisine
Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Automotive exterior

Registered
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400
Nice post David.

To be honest, I like your homemade filter a great deal and think it is better than the MALOSSI high flow filter you bought, but I will wait for your results before making a final decision.

Your MPGs seem to be in align with my own, I was getting 65mpg prior to the Contra Spring change, I will let you know what I'm getting after the spring later when I get a fill up on my way home from work.

Keep the shiny side up!
-Byron

Registered
2014 Burgman 400
I think that homemade filter is too restrictive, but shows clearly that airbox intake area air is very dirty air, the Malossi red foam is 40 PPI, it will allow more airflow of that dirty air o_O, that's why is really important is well oiled to catch dust, specific sticky foam filter oil is way better, than old and dated info. The Malossi may even reduce engine oil use, less restriction, less vacuum in the airbox at high rpms :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I do think the Red color earns a 'Farkle' point, yes ?

I was glad that the white poly foam was able to show the dirt. Kinda amazing isn't it.

Then again, just think how many cubic feet of air are sucked through these filters, airboxes & cylinders....to me, it's a staggering #.

I just KNOW some of you are good enough mathematicians to tell the rest of us just HOW much that might be.

Yes the white foam is very dense. I'm sure the Malossi Density is far less, designed for more flow.

But don't skimp on oiling it either, as you say.

I probably did 'over oil' the white one.

And, again, use the Suzuki one for most circumstances is probably the best overall advice.

The idea that a less restrictive filter COULD suck less engine oil thru is a hopeful thought.

BTW, I've been reading up on that issue and think that the 2 large threads that I read on here dealing with it, the simplest suggestion one member had was to add hose length to the existing PCV hose from crankcase to Airbox, plus add in another typical PCV valve in that longer hose.

He did say that for him, that was the end of engine oil consumption through the air intake tract.

It was from a quite old thread, but then again, it's the Quite Old Burgmans that suffer the issue.

I'll update how that project goes.

Cheers - David

Administrator
Just crud in the air when filtered out will sometime freek you out. "I'm breathing that crap?"

I am currently running a 20 inch box fan with 4 20" x 20" furnance air filters because of the wild fire smoke. In two days they go from white to brown.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just checked my MPG it's down to 59.5 mpg from 62.5 BUT my bad I also changed my engine oil type at same time so I'm not 馃挴% sure whats behind the 5% decrease.

I'm not losing any sleep over 5%.

Bike runs SO GREAT overall these days I've got no, zero complaints.

Fwiw, I did what some of you suggested and I drained my Synthetic 15/50 Racing Mobil 1.

Now filled with Valvoline 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil (aka Dino Juice - Non Synthetic) in 20w/50.

I like how it runs - I'd have not thought a Non- synthetic oil to be this good, but it sure seems superb.

I did read 2 lengthy threads hereabouts on which oils best for early Burgmans with the "Oil Consumption Issue" - and a good # of the posters said they'd had great success overall with the Valvoline Motorcycle Specific Oil, so here's my test, in motion....

Cheers - David

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought K & N Air Filter Spray Oil to use on my Malossi Poly Foam Air Filter.

(Previously I used Motor Oil)

Is there a best practice, IYHO, those who use spray filter oil ?

It says on the can to spray a uniform coat on both sides of filter.

This element is a different construction vs a K & N, though.

I'm tempted to lightly blot excess.

Registered
2014 Burgman 400
I just bought K & N Air Filter Spray Oil to use on my Malossi Poly Foam Air Filter.
K&N air filters oil is not designed for foam filters, K&N's filter media "absorbent" cotton gauze, oil especially designed for foam filters is tacky, IAC is a waste of money and will make a big mess as it's too thin, etc., regular engine or gear oil is a better choice IMO, this horse/discussion been beaten several times, in repeat threads :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a spray oil, tacky, for foam filters ?

I've only seen K & N brand.

One gets conflicting / contradicting advice mixed with personal experience & anecdote to boot.

Bar & Chain Oil should be 30w straight grade with tacky additive.

Some say that's best.

My tree cutter guy does that for his saws & blowers.

I think Gear Oil sounds great.

Registered
2014 Burgman 400
Is there a spray oil, tacky, for foam filters ?

I've only seen K & N brand.

One gets conflicting / contradicting advice mixed with personal experience & anecdote to boot.

Bar & Chain Oil should be 30w straight grade with tacky additive.

Some say that's best.

My tree cutter guy does that for his saws & blowers.

I think Gear Oil sounds great.
Specific Motorcycle Foam Filter "Sticky" Oils have been around for over 40 years, they are the best product to use on a foam air filter. (Period). Are there other suitable options and/or recommendations that will work, absolutely, are they better, NO.
Barring specific circumstances, like personal preference based on "experience", cost and availability, why would you not use a product better suited for the job and/or performs better:unsure:

I briefly mentioned the foam filter oil here in post #3

I think that homemade filter is too restrictive, but shows clearly that airbox intake area air is very dirty air, the Malossi red foam is 40 PPI, it will allow more airflow of that dirty air o_O, that's why is really important is well oiled to catch dust, specific sticky foam filter oil is way better, than old and dated info. The Malossi may even reduce engine oil use, less restriction, less vacuum in the airbox at high rpms :unsure:
We can only recommend based on our experiences, after all you are asking :whistle:. At the end of the day, you pick what you prefer. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts