Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to All,
I am considering selling my Goldwing and buying a new 400 or 650 Bergman, I appreciate any advice on this.
I do go on trips with luggage and so on and like to cruise on at a brisk pace. Also I was wondering if the bikes took a trailer hitch to hold a flag holder for Patriot Guard flags.
I have read that the 400's can haul quiet a bit of camping gear?? I like the ideal of more MPG and also they say the new 650's get 15% better MPG . My wife and I both have wings so I am solo 99% of the time.
What brought this on is that I bought a lil Helix last week and have been going everywhere on it. I figured that if '07 250 Honda scooter done this good pulling 260 pounds, that a 400 or 650 should do super!
Thanks so much for the advice, Farmer

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If you ride alone 400 be ok. If you ride duo + longer distance then 650 better machine. Been riding 650 Burgman for 10 year now, 2005 & 2009 purchase spring 2010 both trouble free and so much fun.

With passenger, saddle bags, Maxia 52 top case, tunnel bag and underseat trunk completely full no problem maintaining from 75 - 90 mph all day long.

Have seen several 650 Burgman with trailer hitch.

It would be courteous if new member who come to BUSA for info would respect other members by completing fully the member profile.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Welcome farmer brown.....
I ride a 400, & have been on many PGR Missions,
but I have smaller flags for my luggage rack.
The 650 will do a nice job for you for your traveling,
& there are trailer hitches available only for the 650,
& not for the 400, so if you are planning to fly 3 X 5 flags,
the trailer hitch for the 650 is a better choice for mountings.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I love my 400 and would highly recommend it for a 1 up light touring machine.

However, coming off of a Goldwing, you might enjoy the extra powerr, towing capacity and long distance cruise of the 650 better. Up to you. Both are fine machines.

The Helix is a devilish little bike. They convert many a MC rider to scooters. I gave my ST1100 up after it sat for a year, unridden, once I got my Helix. Lol :D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
When one stops certain medications, one is advised to taper dosages gradually. The same holds true with motorcycles. If you've been mainlining a Goldwing, you need to step down to a 650. Dropping immediately to a 400 may cause unexpected results. The good news is many 650 riders lead normal, happy lives. Even professionals can't tell the difference between a 650 and a 400 Burgman grin.

The 400 is my daily drug, but I often go on a bender with my 650. I've learned to live with it. (BTW, Liam and I are in the same 2-step support group). ;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The 400 is my daily drug, but I often go on a bender with my 650. I've learned to live with it. (BTW, Liam and I are in the same 2-step support group). ;)
Yes, we call it "Twist and Go".

Very funny Jeff. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to each and every one for your info and advice. I made arrangements with the Dealer for me to test a used 400 tomorrow, he has a '15 650 setting on the floor. It's a Beauty. The 400 will give me a feel as to how the Bergman handles.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The 400 will give me a feel as to how the Bergman handles.
Actually there are structural differences between the 400 and 650 as well as weight.

Do the 650 you won't regret it. Far more suited to your situation.

Even the 400 transmission is very different tho both are roll and go and similar seating position.

Welcome

This from another forum

I have a Burgman 650 and a Goldwing. The Burgman is a fine touring bike. The Goldwing is a GREAT one.

The Wing is more comfortable by far, and has more conveniences. But the Burgman 650 is no slouch, has plenty of power and storage, and makes a fine touring bike for not much money. A lot of bang for the buck.
add to that amazing fun in the twists AND you are considering an updated model.

This is the review that got me into maxis

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

The 650 Burgman surprised a few riders - not the least the VFR800 rider who couldn't lose the Burgman in the twists.
...THAT was also the biggest surprise for me ...performance in the twists.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went from a Goldwing GL1800 to a 2005 BM AN650 and love it. Plenty of power and much easier to handle. Not as much storage but who needs all that crap anyway. Bought the Cardo Scala audio, rider to passenger. Had a few minor issues with the used Burgman in the beginning but resolved those myself with help from forum members. Go for the 650

·
Registered
753 Posts
I went from a Goldwing GL1800 to a 2005 BM AN650 and love it. Plenty of power and much easier to handle. Go for the 650.

I agree. You will give up too much if you settle on something smaller. I am a good size fella at 260 lbs so I need the extra oomph that the 650 has. But for sure, I never feel like I need more. Even though it is perfectly fine at 80+ MPH freeway speeds I like the backroads for my travel- even when taking the Goldwing. And backroads and me and the 650 Burgman make for one happy trio.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are buying a bike for freeway cruising, I would say the 650. I own the 400, and it does the freeway fine, but of it were the majority of my riding I would to bigger. The 400 is great for me because I ride a mix of city streets, 2 lanes, and a little freeway. The lighter weight makes it much easier in the city, it does great on the 2 lanes, and deals OK with the freeway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can't comment on the 400 as I have never ridden one although the bike seems to be fine for traveling. I have a 650 with a hitch I made and tow a homemade single wheel trailer with the 650. You can buy a trailer hitch from Uni-go if you are not into fabbing up stuff. The 650 tows the trailer just fine and with my Rostra cruise control it makes for a fine traveling rig.
I have added a couple of pics so you can see what I did.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I figured that if '07 250 Honda scooter done this good pulling 260 pounds, that a 400 or 650 should do super!
Can't help you on the Burgman, but I wanted to comment on the Honda 250. I have the 2007 Honda Reflex scooter, which is sort of a sportier/updated version of the old Helix model. I did a 15,000 mile road trip on the Reflex 250, from Alaska to Mexico, to Key West Florida, to to Quebec and back across Canada to Alaska. I wasn't hauling a trailer, but I did have it packed with saddle bags, a Givi box on the back, and a full passenger seat full of cargo. I wasn't stylish, but I was functional. No reason why you can't do the same on your Helix.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Can't help you on the Burgman, but I wanted to comment on the Honda 250. I have the 2007 Honda Reflex scooter, which is sort of a sportier/updated version of the old Helix model. I did a 15,000 mile road trip on the Reflex 250, from Alaska to Mexico, to Key West Florida, to to Quebec and back across Canada to Alaska. I wasn't hauling a trailer, but I did have it packed with saddle bags, a Givi box on the back, and a full passenger seat full of cargo. I wasn't stylish, but I was functional. No reason why you can't do the same on your Helix.
I have a Vespa GTS 250ie, which is a great bike for less than 100 miles. However, with some added farkles, better seat, GPS and radio system, I see no reason it wouldn't be an excellent touring machine.

On my Wing, I tour about 400 to 500 a day, but on the Vespa, probably two or three hundred miles a day. I've not yet traveled over 100 miles a day on the Vespa.

One issue with small scooters, blowouts can be hazardous, much moreso than with a larger motorcycles. I had a rear tire blow last Summer while traveling at about 45 MPH. I managed to bring it to a stop, but the rear end was swaying all over the place. Just prior to that, I was traveling at 70MPH. At 70MPH, I believe I would have went down!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
When one stops certain medications, one is advised to taper dosages gradually. The same holds true with motorcycles. If you've been mainlining a Goldwing, you need to step down to a 650. Dropping immediately to a 400 may cause unexpected results. The good news is many 650 riders lead normal, happy lives. Even professionals can't tell the difference between a 650 and a 400 Burgman grin.

I like your sense of humor, and no doubt, true! .:toothy10:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

Me have never seen Burgie park in front of psychologist office, it best drug of all. :D :)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts

1. We admitted most scooters are relatively powerless.
2. Came to believe that a bike with a Power button next to the turn signal switch could restore us to sanity.
(etc.)

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
The difference from your Helix is about 15 MPH to a Burgman 400. If you're thinking of the Burgman 400, I would also consider the Honda Silverwing and the Yamaha Majesty too. The Silverwing has a little more bang than the 400, used its priced the same or cheaper. The 400 gets 15% more MPG than the 650. 60 MPG as opposed to 50 MPG. I've owned all three. The Majesty was what caused Suzuki to upgrade the 400 in 2005. What ever fits you the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>What brought this on is that I bought a lil Helix last week and have been going everywhere on it.<<

If you end up buying a Burgman you probably won't be wanting to ride your Helix much. There's a night & day difference between the two, and not just in the power department. The Burgmans are fuel injected vs. carburetored, and the difference in overall "stability" is significant. With its 10" wheels, I found the Helix to be very sensitive to every crack in the road, whereas the Burgmans are rock solid. I just traded said Helix on my Burgman 650 and can't believe the difference. I've also owned a Burgman 400 in the past, so either one of them will suit your scootering needs just fine. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts