Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got a first gear heated jacket liner (90w) and so far I REALLY REALLY like it. It is the only electrical thing I have attached to the bike and was wondering if it will draw more power than the alt. is putting out. I still don't understand how to figure out how to many devices is to much.

When I was sitting at a light this morning, I noticed that the light were dim and that they would brighten if I revved the engine. This got me worried if I am pulling to much juice and the battery/alt. won't last.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am not sure of the alternator capacity but it sounds like you may have exceeded it.
A trick I learned riding old BMW airheads ( notoriously poor electrical out put) was to turn off my electric vest at stop lights or when stuck in low speed traffic.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Search on BUSA, it 400watt @5000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Search on BUSA, it 400watt @5000 rpm.
I agree with Cherie.........

" Re: Heating capacity of 400?
400 watts is at 5000 RPM. Remember that is the total available output so other items such as headlights, taillights, computer, etc. have to be added into that total too. If you ride in town and have jacket liner, gloves, and pants, I suspect you will be draining some of the battery at stop lights. Even with the variable controller, I've seen just the jacket liner and gloves put enough load on a 400 to dim the headlights significantly."

Hope that this helps you........
_______

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The "normal" draw of a stock 400 is about 200 W, add 90 to that (290 W total) and you are kissing the practical limit of the generator at lower engine speeds (it's rated for 400 W at 5k rpm, but 80% of that--a reasonable duty limit--is only 320 W). Empirically it will likely be OK if your trips are a mix of stop and go and longer extended runs, however with a lot of "in town" sort of riding you will want to keep a maintenance charger on the battery.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, most of my driving is on the freeway until I get off and hit the lights. Is the liner drawing 90 watts all of the time or only at max heat? If I have to I can return it for the 65 watt liner. If I don't then I will just have to turn it on and off depending on the situation.

Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have the Gerbing heated wear and I think the controller is a on/off type. Setting the temp determines the amount of "on" time versus "off" time. The higher the temp the more "on" time. I could be wrong so if I am someone will be sure to correct me.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have the Gerbing heated wear and I think the controller is a on/off type. Setting the temp determines the amount of "on" time versus "off" time. The higher the temp the more "on" time. I could be wrong so if I am someone will be sure to correct me.
That is how they typically work...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You wont have any problem at all it will still charge the battery with it on at tick over, just be careful you don't leave it on with the engine stopped for any length of time. I have been using one with heated grips as well for the last 3 winters.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ralph M, just to clarify, it should still charge the battery while the engine is just at idle? If that is true great! If not then I will get in the habit of turning it off while on surface streets.

I was thinking on the way home this morning, if I have it on onlyhalf way does that mean I am using just 45 watts? Or should I think of in terms of time, where the 'on' time of 45 minutes needs a corresponding 'off' time to recharge the battery?

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Ralph M, just to clarify, it should still charge the battery while the engine is just at idle? If that is true great! If not then I will get in the habit of turning it off while on surface streets.

I was thinking on the way home this morning, if I have it on onlyhalf way does that mean I am using just 45 watts? Or should I think of in terms of time, where the 'on' time of 45 minutes needs a corresponding 'off' time to recharge the battery?

Mike
90 watts draw is when the heating element is on. If you have it a half that just means it still draws 90 watts but only runs 1/2 the time of full on. ;)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
With the heated jacket on it will charge the battery at tick over if you are worried about it switch it off at tick over rather than stooping the engine as restating it repeatedly is not good for battery or starter, you can get very cheap battery testers that plug into the charger socket and use that to monitor what's going on or just plug it in and with everything on see if it is charging, I have never had a problem over about 15000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts