Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
last week I replaced the air filter and i was curious how the CVT and transmission were, so took it off and washed the CVT air filter, was pretty nasty, must say it really needs to be cleaned up often.

attaching some pics, I had to remove the left side cover and didn't use bolts to remove the case just a wooden stick with rounded head, put it in the border and from the apposite side i hammered out with like 10 hits.

I have a question, what if you put a stronger spring there (pic 3)? My thoughts are that the belt will not go down and the RPMs will be lower at high speeds, i see it as better than changing the sliders... any thoughts?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hola Fernando, nothing is better than changing to sliders. :hello1:

You are partially right on the clutch spring. Some of them are changeable, but I don't know about the Suzuki. However if I followed your question, a stiffer spring will keep the sheevs together resulting in a larger diameter pulley (low gear) for the belt to ride on longer. The BIG spring will make it harder for the variator to pull the belt down into high gear. Think of a bicycle with 10 speed sprockets, works the same.

Nice to see you getting to know the bike. It is really simple but effective technology.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
cliffyk just posted on a DPS thread about modifications he made to the transmission. He's got pretty light sliders and a stronger spring. As I recall, he did this to keep RPMs up while accelerating and accepting higher RPMs at cruise. To A little hit on mpg but he did it for performance reasons. Bottom line, stronger spring will tend to keep lower gearing longer resulting in higher RPM. NOTE: he did this on a pre-07 model so the gearing is somewhat different anyway but the effects are similar.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cliffyk just posted on a DPS thread about modifications he made to the transmission. He's got pretty light sliders and a stronger spring. As I recall, he did this to keep RPMs up while accelerating and accepting higher RPMs at cruise. To A little hit on mpg but he did it for performance reasons. Bottom line, stronger spring will tend to keep lower gearing longer resulting in higher RPM. NOTE: he did this on a pre-07 model so the gearing is somewhat different anyway but the effects are similar.
@Chatman128 thanks for sharing that... without being an expert i thought that spring may impact somehow the RPMS and transmission, will see if i can get a similar one down here.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ferando, you will get better results by putting good sliders of a different weight in. Surely you can get weights for CVT's where you live. Check with one of your scooter shops there in Santiago. It's a big city.

Namaste'
Doug Skinner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts