Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of an electronic cruise control for the burgman 650? Does anybody have info about an electronic cruise control that could be adapted to the 650? Could an automobile cruise control be adapted?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Cruizin' For a Bruizin'

Be very careful, adapting a car cruise control into a Burgy.

The way a cruise control regulates changes in speed/throttle is through the speedometer. If you get an AN650 service manual, you'll notice the (speedo) tach timing inputted into a digital module, at the wiring diagram.
Since the Burgy is mostly digital (through a series of nearly 16 sensors) ,the adaptation would be quite interesting. Paralleling the cruise control's speedo sensing onto the Burgy's circuit could distort the signal that the Burgy is depending on and could produce inaccurate speedometer/odometer readings and advanced wear on the speed sensor. Will your cruise control go to full throttle if the speed sensor ever opens up?

Before I would lay out money for a car cruise control to fit onto my Burgy, I would check out the travel limits of the cruise control servo motors. A small change in throttle position on the Burgy may be quite different for a car. Abrupt and uncontrollable changes in automatic throttle travel, by adapting an incompatible car cruise control into your machine, could make you regret the entire affair altogether.

I would especially be concerned first and foremost with the disengagement system compatibility with not only the Burgy's linkage/pivot dimensions but with my own physical limits of safe and redundant manual control.

From the many road trips I’ve been on, I’ve noticed that there is no such thing as flat road.
I use a simple small plastic palm-rest wedged over the throttle grip to alleviate long-term stress on my right hand. The Burgys ‘D’ transmission mode, while riding gentle grades, tends to adjust torque and resulting constant speed for you, up to a limit, depending on the speed you’re cruising at. The Burgman 650 is not your fathers Suzuki and you will not have the same comparatively gross throttle grip changes while cruising rolling hill interstate highways.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i use the throttle locking cruise control it goes right behind the grip...you have to shave off the plastic ring holding the back of the grip on under the rubber but once u do that the 23 dollar cruise control works great...good for long distance riding....if ur not sure what im talking about its the one that holds the grip when u push it down with your thumb and found at almost any dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone here have BOTH the Throttle Rocker AND the throttle locking cruise control device mounted together on their handle bar?

How would that be? I wouldn't think they would be redundant? They don't do exactly the same thing, though close to it.

Could such a combination work? Would it be of value?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Throttle Lock - $3.00

There is a less expensive way to experiment with a throttle lock for the Burgman. It is a fat yellow O-ring, Caterpillar part #8M-5266. You roll it onto the bar end weight, so that it is near the valley between the weight and the throttle. When you want the throttle lock effect, roll it over the valley - it rides over the valley, does not drop into it. You can still easily adjust the throttle to fine tune your speed - or close it completely if you need to. But when you relax your grip on the throttle it stays put. In other words, it works just the way a Throttlemeister does, but costs only $3. To turn it off, roll it back onto the bar end. I had a Throttlemeister on my last motorcycle - I find this just as effective, and as easy to use. I use one on my Burgman 650, and another on my Suzuki V-Strom cycle. It works as well on both machines - no difference with the automatic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts