Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all

Just returning to a Burger Van 650 Executive after nearly 10 years.

I want to fit an (easy to fit) CC to my new bike. But I am worried that anything I buy might not work around the heated grips wiring.

I know you guys have been around the block more than few times with this old chestnut but it is new to me.

Very grateful for any advice you have.

Stevec

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Throttlemeister. Just replaces the bar end weight. Easy peasy to install. Not sure if it will work with heated grips though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have one of the new alloy "Go Cruise" with the adjustment wheel. It works superbly and with any twist grip or size. Once adjusted mine doesn't move or vibrate back and is easy to twist off. Cost me $32 delivered off Ebay. Check one out, I'd never be without one again........Mike

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
A 650 Burgman is complicated enough without adding to it.

Here's ya cruise control. It costs $4.95 and about 45 minutes at the lathe and mill.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Oh, you were looking for a throttle lock.

For a moment I thought you wanted a device to maintain constant speed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I won't use anything but the Breakaway Cruise Control. Best option I've ever used. I have the bar end weight type that came with the 650 but I still had to get the breakaway. Nothing beats it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Erik - did you read the OP

I want to fit an (easy to fit) CC to my new bike. But I am worried that anything I buy might not work around the heated grips wiring.
Don't think that applies to electronic CC.

The thing I did not like about the BrakeAway was the all or nothing.
I like to adjust the Kaoka while it's still engaged....minor small adjustments to terrain etc
Can't do that with the BA

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
A 650 Burgman is complicated enough without adding to it.

Here's ya cruise control. It costs $4.95 and about 45 minutes at the lathe and mill.
That would look much nicer if it was under the grip. Maybe turn the bar-weight around 180? :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Erik - did you read the OP

Don't think that applies to electronic CC.

The thing I did not like about the BrakeAway was the all or nothing.
I like to adjust the Kaoka while it's still engaged....minor small adjustments to terrain etc
Can't do that with the BA
Might not be the easiest to fit but working around the heated grip part is a no brainer as the electronic CC won't affect the heated grips at all.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Oh, you were looking for a throttle lock.

For a moment I thought you wanted a device to maintain constant speed.
I have always wondered why so many people will call a throttle lock cruise control.

For not all that much more than some throttle locks are you can get a gen-u-wine real cruise control from Rostra. Sure, it will take you a better part of a day to install it but what is that when you consider the many hundreds of hours of set it and forget it push the button and smile away the miles that you get with the Real Thing.

If you cannot guess, I love mine. Perhaps next to my RDL saddle, it is the best thing I ever did to my Burgman. Use it every ride.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go cruise for me couldn't believe how easy it was to install and works great it is more of a throttle lock than a "cruise control" but it's everything I wanted a little relieve from twisting the grip.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I use the Brakeaway, on my 650's and ST's but it clearly states on the packaging "Not suitable for heated grips".

So, good though it is, it's unsuitable for the OP.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I have always wondered why so many people will call a throttle lock cruise control.

For not all that much more than some throttle locks are you can get a gen-u-wine real cruise control from Rostra. Sure, it will take you a better part of a day to install it but what is that when you consider the many hundreds of hours of set it and forget it push the button and smile away the miles that you get with the Real Thing.

If you cannot guess, I love mine. Perhaps next to my RDL saddle, it is the best thing I ever did to my Burgman. Use it every ride.
Placing tongue in cheek, I'm ready to begin.

It's all a matter of semantics, and geography.....................

A cruise control is something that will theoretically maintain a constant speed.
A throttle lock holds the throttle in a preset position.

So if you are travelling on a flat surface, like, for instance, Florida, or the Netherlands, where the loading on the engine hardly varies, then the throttle lock does exactly the same as any electronic system, by maintaining a constant speed.

Where things start to change is if you introduce factors which change the loading on the engine, like hills.
Here the throttle lock requires a manual variation of position (Which can be done if you set it up right) to correct for the load change, and regain the correct speed, or to wait until level ground is again encountered.

Whereas an electronic cruise system waits until the tolerance of variation is exceeded, then makes an automatic correction to recover to the preset.

In general terms this reacts slower than making a minor manual correction with the wrist, but theoretically doesn't require additional input from the rider.

In fact, if you left the throttle lock alone until flat ground is encountered again, it will automatically regain the preset speed............and in some cases. the automatic system doesn't react in time, and a manual input is required to get things moving more quickly.......
........so in reality, it's just a question of reaction time!

Like I said, Semantics.

:p:p:p:p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts