Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!! I removed the primary pulley stopper bolt to inspect it, as I hadn't done it in a while. I had previously replaced the bolt with the new one approved by Suzuki. When I removed the bolt, it came out hard as there was resistance. After I attempted to reinstall the bolt, I discovered that I had cross threaded the bolt at some point previously. I then attempted to install the original bolt because the new bolt had aluminum in the threads. I was able to install the old bolt and torqued it to 26#. After riding the scoot, I found that the bike would rev highly if I attempted to accelerate quickly from a stop or while underway as though the clutch was slipping. If I backed off the throttle, it was O.K. The clutch engages from a stop at about 2500 rpms but is slow to change gears as the rpms increase. Could I install a helicoil and reinstall the new bolt, or it this a bigger mess than that? What do I do now?
Blindman

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It's a blind hole but I see no reason you couldn't do a helicoil or timesert. The only issue might be bottoming out the tap in the hole.

Am I to assume the CVT wasn't doing this prior to you pulling the stopper bolt? Having the year of the bike and/or your location would help if someone was in your area.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
sorry to hear about that, total bummer... but it happens...

your primary pulley bolt rests in the following slot:

older version

newer version

your bolt should come out by this much for the older version

if you have a newer primary pulley the bolt will portrude by this much:

you can try a helicoil, as long as you make sure that it is flush with the inside of the primary pulley housing on the case.

you don't want any loose pieces of metal floating inside the CVT housing as they can damage the pulley surfaces, the belt, small plastic gears etc...

worst case scenario you may have to replace the casing half that is damaged.

not going to be a quick fix so to speak, will have to weigh your options and how you want to proceed.

good luck.

ps: take a look at this thread, pages 38+, it will help shed some light on how the bolt/pulley come into play:

RIP - CVT Reparis thread

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt reply. The CVT wasn't doing that prior to pulling the bolt. The bike is a 2008 650 Executive with 15,000 miles. I am in Northern Illinois. (Rockford)

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
If the old bolt was not severely damaged I don't see how putting it in would have caused the slipping unless because of the damaged threads it did not not go in far enough to engage the slot in the primary pulley properly.

If that is the case in running it you have probably moved the slot in the primary pulley out of alignment and will need to get it back before you reinstall the bolt after repairing the threads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts