Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on Craigslist this morning when I saw this Silverwing for sale. It's 10+ years old and 200 miles, check it out here, http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/4357358210.html
I guess the question here besides the $3000 price tag is how about the drive system, I guess it has belts, etc. like the Burgmans. and other scooters. So what about a drive system that has only 200 miles on it, would the belts need to be replaced, plus engine gasket, etc., or could you ride it in confidence. I personally don't usually buy motorcycles/scooters with that low of mileage on them, yes I do buy low mileage rides, but that's too low. Other things to consider would be tires and how long has it been setting, I can't tell if those pics are when new, or just taken the other day. I can tell you that I'm not personally interested in the scooter at that price, maybe if it was $2000 I might take a chance, but I don't really need another ride. I personally think the seller will have to sell it to someone who doesn't know too much about scooters and the new buyer will be totally happy, or find it needs to go to the Honda dealer for expensive repairs.

John

·
Registered
132 Posts
The silverwing has the same type of drive as the Burgman 400. It might be a great buy and work ok. I would certainly question the 10 year old tires and would certainly replace all the oils. I doubt that any gaskets would be bad but I would ride the bike and check the engine for leaks around the gaskets. If I was looking for a silverwing I would take the chance and buy it if it had a clear title. He might even take a lessor amount - make him a cash offer.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had seriously considered a Honda Silverwing for my next bike but couldn't pass on Robin's Executive. I had previously looked at a SW at a dealer that had sat up most of it's life like this one. They replaced the fuel injection system probably because of old fuel sitting in the system. I would be leary of low mileage bikes that have sat up because of our crappy fuel. I bought a low mileage Gold wing a few years ago that sat up for a few years. I had nothing but problems with the carbs and spent thousands on fuel related issues. Perhaps the proof is in the pudding; go test ride it. Tires more than 3 or 4 years old should most certainly be replaced despite tread condition. If interested in the bike, I would deduct cost of tire replacement and make that offer. BTW, I have several friends who own Silverwings and they love them. A buddy of mine who restores Cushman's rides one and says they're easier to work on than the 650.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That sounds like a great buy for anyone looking for a scooter. In addition to buying new tires (the drive belt might not be in any better shape than the tires. ) I'd also change out all engine fluids - fork oil - and rear shock oil if applicable. The gas tank and fuel injection system would draw the most scrutiny from me. Fuel injection isn't immune to varnishing up when it sits for long periods. Since engine o-ring seals aren't exposed to the environment that would not concern me nearly as much as tires and drive belt.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If you can do all the maintenance stuff forks ,fluids, and belt and then when you figure new tires and replacing plastics if you're picky , it's still pretty expensive . If you have to pay to have it all done then it would be VERY EXPENSIVE . Silver-wings are good scooters but bland , and don't ride like a 650 Burg that's for sure . I would call it a border line OK deal , but not by any means exceptional . To be fair the Silver-wings don't normally have catastrophic break downs like the 650 Burgs .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
37 Posts
10yr old Silverwing

If I lived in the Metroplex, I would have jumped on that like "a duck on a junebug!"
In 2012 I bought a Honda Reflex250 with 136mi. on it and was a great scooter. Ran this Yamaha fuel treatment through it and changed the engine and rear diff to synthetic and after a couple of tanks of gas, I actually had to turn the idle back down. I had turned it up when I bought it because it was running a bit low. It would do 80mph on the spedo on flat level ground no wind. If it doesnt leak oil or fluids and stored in a garage, do not be afraid of it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The ad was deleted... guess it was a good deal for someone...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts