Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I say... After scouring through the local craigslist listings just looking around seeing what's out there, and being new to craigslist, I see lots of sellers: text only? Leave message only? Terrible spelling errors? Way priced over retail higher than dealer on used? Every bike is like mint and never been in a smokey room ??

What's is craigslist all about men??? Mmmmmm

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It is also becoming very commercialized. The motorcycle list here generates 2-3 ads each day with maybe 6 on Friday and Saturday{some are repeats}. Every now and then the list explodes to a couple of dozen but those listings are from a dealer, often many miles away or worse an online seller.

I know what you mean about price. I saw a guy who was selling a Ninja 250 for double what KBB listed as retail! I saw another one that was listed as a "classic"! It was old but not exactly a classic. I don't remember the exact model, an early 70s Yamaha small displacement dirtbike. The seller wanted almost $6000 for it! KBB retail on it was about $1000.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Craigslist can work for you but you have to be very wary. Check out every claim before buying anything.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still think Ebay has maintained very professional standards.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I still think Ebay has maintained very professional standards.
Standards yes but it also has been overtaken by companies rather than individuals. Some of that is good but some isn't. Go looking for certain items and you are bombarded with lots of crap as well as what you went looking for.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that's true, I think they even have computer programs now to decide what type of personality you have... It's like iTunes if you download some of your favorite artist they start recommending others are in the same realm, they read your personality type and throw bombs of pressure sales at you! Lol they struggle with my type. Heee

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have successfully used Craigs List to buy and sell several bikes and cars. You might look at a hundred to find one that might interest you. When you find one, you call the seller and feel them out. Based on my conversation with the owner, I have bought every one I have gone to look at. There have been many I discarded after a conversation.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Shouldn't Craigs List have died off together with the telephone modems that made it possible?

My brother was a pioneer when bulletin boards began, and the Craigs List format is akin to that text-only format, which was designed to keep the amount of transfered data down to an absolute minimum.

The was no Internet back then, so you would call up a hub, like my brother ran, and download a compressed file containing the discussion board, like all of BUSA's forums, which you could then read off-line. You would then write your own comments to the discussion topics, call up the hub and upload your comments. The hub would then regularly forward the new comments to the next node.
Our dad got a fit, because the telephone bill skyrocketed, and every time he lifted the receiver, there would be modem sounds.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Standards yes but it also has been overtaken by companies rather than individuals. Some of that is good but some isn't. Go looking for certain items and you are bombarded with lots of crap as well as what you went looking for.
You've got that right , if you do a search for say a Honda Big Ruckus you get 2000 auctions but maybe 1 or 2 actual OEM parts . I seldom use eBay any more , it pretty much turned in to poop hole .

TheReaper!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts