Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just in the category of perplexed.. and wondering if this happens to others..

A few days ago, I was having a new farkle mounted on my bike at Twisted Throttle in Exeter, RI....(a new Garmin 665). to get at stuff.. the guy elevated my Burgman 650 on the lift. AS itwent up, I noticed a small piece of tupperware dangling from just in front of the kick stand... I pulled it right off.. It was only maybe 2 inches long, and a half inch wide.. no big deal.. but I was shocked.. I can't figure out how that happened..

Toally invisible and I won't get it fixed.. but because it was right in front of the kick stand, am wondering if that's how it happened..

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
I've had a couple of crack develop in other spots on my bikes but not at that point. These have developed at stress spots where fasteners go through the bodywork. Given that where yours broke it is low down on the bottom of the bike maybe something was kicked up off the road and hit it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THat's what I was thinking.. It was just hanging off.. so I pulled it off..

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
If you have ever undressed a 650 and removed all the tupperware, you can't but be amazed at how well everything fits together and the
ingenious ways they engineered to interconnect everything and hold it all up together.

I have't suffered that many tupperware failure thus far as I am always very cautious to not over tighten the bolts.

Would like to see a picture of the piece that broke?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LeDude said:
If you have ever undressed a 650 and removed all the tupperware, you can't but be amazed at how well everything fits together and the
ingenious ways they engineered to interconnect everything and hold it all up together.

I have't suffered that many tupperware failure thus far as I am always very cautious to not over tighten the bolts.

Would like to see a picture of the piece that broke?
I was thinking the same thing.. I will have to take them.. where it was & a picture of the piece.. and take pics when I get a chance.. I saved th elittle piece.. puzzled at it again today...it's about the size of my little finger..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I managed to break the small tabs that help hold the rear piece on (under the tail lights). If you need to pull this piece, be careful - the tabs break and I'm trying to find a way to avoid paying the $75 + shipping to get a new one. So far, various glues haven't worked to get the tabs functional. I'm trying JB Weld after drilling a small hole through the top (faces the front as it sits installed on the bike) and reinforcing it with a nail. Plain JB Weld won't do it. Bike Bandit seems to have the best replacement prices, but their shipping is slow. My girlfriend backed into the bike and wrecked the front fender and I managed to find one at BB that works at the best price I could get (approx. $180). Don't forget to check online for coupons, wherever you choose to shop.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally managed to take a picture of the broken tupperware.. This is on the left side, underneath, right by the kickstand.. You can also see a missing screw there as well.. the broke area is forward of the kick stand.. looks like no big deal.. but I still wonder how it happened.. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
For a chunk like that to break out I would almost think something must have hit it. That is a low stress area and no reason for it to break on it's own. I would think that if it just cracked from stress it would have done so at the hole where the fastener goes through

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I finally managed to take a picture of the broken tupperware.. This is on the left side, underneath, right by the kickstand.. You can also see a missing screw there as well.. the broke area is forward of the kick stand.. looks like no big deal.. but I still wonder how it happened.. Thoughts?
That is an odd place to have a break, probably as Buffalo suggested some kind of impact. The mounting hole uses the same large reuseable plastic rivets on the top of that panel under the rubber mat.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not like itreally hurts anything for it to be gone... So that's a rivet & not a screw.. I'm thinking that a quick stop into my dealer & he'll just shove one in there.. He'll have it handy...I have the broken piece... I suppose I could use some super glue and glue it back in.. not like anyone will ever see it..

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
Rather than using superglue go to a hardware/plumbing store and buy some ABS pipe cement. It will make a longer lasting bond. If you have some scrap ABS plastic laying around you can also glue reinforcing pieces across the back of the joints to make it even stronger.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Rather than using superglue go to a hardware/plumbing store and buy some ABS pipe cement. It will make a longer lasting bond. If you have some scrap ABS plastic laying around you can also glue reinforcing pieces across the back of the joints to make it even stronger.
+1;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used plastic zip strips to hold the lower frame cover (the piece under tail light) to the frame rather than the push rivets. I read about this on other forums which would have saved me 80 dollars when the other one fell off. zip strips will not wear out.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
This is just in the category of perplexed.. and wondering if this happens to others..

A few days ago, I was having a new farkle mounted on my bike at Twisted Throttle in Exeter, RI....(a new Garmin 665). to get at stuff.. the guy elevated my Burgman 650 on the lift. AS itwent up, I noticed a small piece of tupperware dangling from just in front of the kick stand... I pulled it right off.. It was only maybe 2 inches long, and a half inch wide.. no big deal.. but I was shocked.. I can't figure out how that happened..

Toally invisible and I won't get it fixed.. but because it was right in front of the kick stand, am wondering if that's how it happened..
AND................now!!!!!! Yer 650 has been officially ..."christened"..!! NOW - break a bottle of champagne over the bow...................;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes.. but the 1st one hurts so bad..

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought an NT700 with less than 3k on it. The bike was in perfect condition except he lost it in his driveway and scratch the one rear pannier. I was just happy to save the $4k it would have cost additionally for the new bike and the fact that I won't put the first ding in it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I just call all the scratches and broken tupperware - BADGES OF HONOR

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have gone through 2 front leg shields (the biggest piece of plastic on a Burgman). The first one "spider-webbed" and I thought it was ruined. I bought a second one, and it spider-webbed, too. Had it plastic-welded with extra support at stress lines. Re-painted it, and it looks better than the rest of the bike now. I have no idea how it broke.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts