Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,082 Posts
Paging Dave_J !
Until he gets here have a look at this:

It seems it’s the Humidifier that’s the big energy drain....if you can turn that off and use an inline water vaporizer your amperage needs will be lessened .

5.0 out of 5 stars updated review
Reviewed in the United States on July 27, 2019
Verified Purchase
Needing something to power my CPAP machine while camping, I chose the Jackery Explorer 240 and it has surpassed both my needs and expectations.
This is an update as I have enjoyed using the Jackery Explorer 240 numerous times over the past year. The E 240 continues to provide consistent power to my CPAP machine. On numerous occasions I have used the unit for 5 nights of uninterrupted power, mostly in the 8-9 hours range of CPAP use. Never have I experienced any type of auto-shut off as others have commented on. The E 240 packs nicely in its carry bag, is light weight and fits in the corner of the tent next to my CPAP machine. It recharges quickly and stays recharged for months, while in winter storage. When I was first considering this purchase I debated the need for the solar option to recharge while in the field. Now that the E 240 has proven I can get 5 nights of use, which is the extent of my normal time out, I'm glad I did not spend the extra.
The Jackery Explorer 240 has proven to be one of the best camping lifestyle purchases I have made.

Another option:

DarisPakar, check your messages please.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For the 2021 camping season just use a 50’ extension cord at camp sites with electric. There will be plenty of time this winter to research an alternative.

Oddly, the middle of the woods, miles from civilization... They don't have outlets. ;-)

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In this post is a link to a Humidifier tank. $14.99 plus $5 shipping. You need 2 hoses

View attachment 93920

I may make a small candle heater that would heat the bottom of this tank.
A 12 hour candle in a TALL Bush's Bean can with holes punched around the top will heat a coffee cup well given enough time.
I saw something like that, but thought it was one of those HMEs with the sponge, and didn't really look into it. I was also wondering... do I really even need heat at all. Using the above, I'm wondering how much the air would be saturated by simply putting the input tube down into the water. That would agitate the water and should aerosolize it to a fair degree. Essentially, similar to a cool-mist humidifier, without the spinny bits.

Not sure if it would work. Something I may try. Also, from a sleeping concern... I'd be worried I'd knock it over at night. Have to find a way to secure it upright. I'm sure that's not horribly difficult. Although... I could probably just manufacture something I can add a weight to, in the bottom.

EDIT: I found my answer... Stick it to a board, and put the cpap on that board:
https://www.thecpapshop.com/fisher-paykel-cold-passover-humidification-system-1

·
Administrator
21,753 Posts
That unit looks like the CPAP hoses will go on. I'll be getting one in a week but I won't be home for 3-4 weeks. I fly to Portland Maine in 6 hours.
When I get home I'll mock something up. I will fill my APAP's reservoir and fill this new one to see if I can run without the heated humidifier and heated hose.

·
Administrator
21,753 Posts
Beat Daris to it :)

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Who knew there were so many afflicted members in this group? I used a cpap about 20 years ago. Actually went to the Res-Med HQ about a mile from my home. (They seem to do well, financially)

I adapted and slept well with the awkward machine. But there was some turmoil in my life and I lost that device and much more. So I did without cpap. No problem! Turned out I was misdiagnosed by the sophisticated machines at the VA during my overnight stay.

I did my own test using my smart phone and an app to record sounds while I slept. This app was a VOX device (A voice operated switch (VOX) is a switch used in telecommunications that operates when a sound is detected and exceeds a certain threshold.) Thus the recording was less than 15 minutes. There was a little cough, a snort, and very small sounds but none of the sounds of interrupted breathing. Try it yourself if you don't have a partner to listen for you all nite.

I've improved my fitness since my diagnosis which may have made a difference. I never sleep on my back and recently had to discuss that with my doctor. I finally realized that it was because I was concerned that my breathing might be disturbed in that position. Maybe it's my imagination but the weight of my tongue or accumulation of mucous; I don't know, it just seems like something bad could happen.

So I'd be looking out for natural solutions if it was still a problem for me. Best wishes to all, however. Quality sleep seems to be very important.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
As a quick update, for those following along... I ended up getting the Renogy 72000mAH battery. I have a DreamStation. So far, I've run it, with the humidifier, for 30 hours... and I'm still on 3/4 bars on the power meter. So I'm pretty happy with this.

Now, one thing that is important to note (and I'll jet @Dave_J explain why, if he'd like), is that I am using the DC power cable. This is WILDLY important. I'm seeing some people saying that WITHOUT the humidifier they're getting 15 hours. My guess is that they are plugging in an AC Inverter, then plugging in the CPAP's AC power cord... So they are going DC -> AC -> DC. Going DC -> DC has a LOT less loss. Which mean more hours snoozing, breathing, and dreaming of long twisties on the bike.

The Renogy is pretty big. Almost the size of the CPAP. And HEAVY. But it will easily fit in the bike, under the seat. And it will keep me in the wild for multiple days, powering my laptop along with keeping me alive and junk.

I'll let y'all know when it finally dies on me. But for now... I'm off off to coz play snoozy Vader.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So, in case anyone has a Phillips branded... anything (BiPAP, CPAP, ventilator... anything except the conveniently new dreamstation 2 device (on sale now!)) you should be aware that Phillips has issued a recall:

In short, the machines can cause cancer. I'm actually not exaggerating. In the recall, Phillips explains that the foam used to muffle the sound of the machine can degrade, releasing “certain chemicals” into the tubing that can cause carcinogenic effects (in addition to trouble breating, lung infections, etc...). So... yeah. Phillips is advising that you stop using the machine immediately and consult your DME or medical professional. Now... how SERIOUS is this risk in reality? The recall points out that in 2020, there were no reported deaths. But... that seems like an odd thing to say since... you know... there have been other years. And they seem a little skimpy on any details on related illnesses just now. So... Judge for yourself, and speak to your DME or medical professional for advice on treatment options.

In related news... I was able to go about 50 hours on that Renogy battery. Although now, since I may have to buy a new machine to replace THIS ONE... sigh... what a BCF this is going to turn into.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts