Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CPAP for Obstructive Apnea. Essentially, my body is stupid, and forgets to breath if I'm asleep and don't say "Hey, stupid... keep breathing!" Then I wake up, and my mind and body get into an argument about who forgot to inflate what... There's finger pointing... there's yelling... There's hurt feelings... It's a bit of a thing. Anyway... At home, I have a machine that works fine. However...

I'd like to do some bike camping this year. And... despite all my efforts... HOURS of research... experimentation... I simply cannot get the extension cord to go beyond the end of the block. And at 100 watts...(12v 6.67 am... ok... why the hell does a LIFE-SAVNIG MACHINE require 6.66 AMPS!?!?!?... I digress) the machine is a bit of a power hog. So I'm looking for something more portable, with a lower power draw that I can run off something smaller than a car battery (and will fit under the seat) for at least two nights.

Since I know I'm not the only one here who falls asleep to the sounds of my very own, personal copy of "Darth Vader Sings You to Sleep", I was hoping maybe someone else had gone through this, and found something you could recommend. The Z1 and Z2 look promising. But... it's a lot of money to... "Test." And the Dreamstation go looks like it's huge, a power hog, and... why not just get a regular DS?

Oh... and yes... I know. I know. Even the insurance ADJUSTERS I spoke with think that's silly. But... yeah... I know.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Paging Dave_J !
Until he gets here have a look at this:

It seems it’s the Humidifier that’s the big energy drain....if you can turn that off and use an inline water vaporizer your amperage needs will be lessened .

5.0 out of 5 stars updated review
Reviewed in the United States on July 27, 2019
Verified Purchase
Needing something to power my CPAP machine while camping, I chose the Jackery Explorer 240 and it has surpassed both my needs and expectations.
This is an update as I have enjoyed using the Jackery Explorer 240 numerous times over the past year. The E 240 continues to provide consistent power to my CPAP machine. On numerous occasions I have used the unit for 5 nights of uninterrupted power, mostly in the 8-9 hours range of CPAP use. Never have I experienced any type of auto-shut off as others have commented on. The E 240 packs nicely in its carry bag, is light weight and fits in the corner of the tent next to my CPAP machine. It recharges quickly and stays recharged for months, while in winter storage. When I was first considering this purchase I debated the need for the solar option to recharge while in the field. Now that the E 240 has proven I can get 5 nights of use, which is the extent of my normal time out, I'm glad I did not spend the extra.
The Jackery Explorer 240 has proven to be one of the best camping lifestyle purchases I have made.

Another option:

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paging Dave_J !

Until he gets here have a look at this:

5.0 out of 5 stars updated review

The Jackery Explorer 240 has proven to be one of the best camping lifestyle purchases I have made.
I looked at those. If I cut the handle off, MAYBE. But, then, I'm carrying over 10 pounds of kit, and a LOT of volume with full-size machine (even without the humidifier). If I can get something down to 50w or lower, I can get away with some electrical trickery (DC to DC converter, if needed), a custom cable, and a battery bank like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XRJZXKY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PX3cFb33C4DRJ

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
I looked at those. If I cut the handle off, MAYBE. But, then, I'm carrying over 10 pounds of kit, and a LOT of volume with full-size machine (even without the humidifier). If I can get something down to 50w or lower, I can get away with some electrical trickery (DC to DC converter, if needed), a custom cable, and a battery bank like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XRJZXKY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PX3cFb33C4DRJ
How about this one: www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC/ . It's what I have in the car, and what I just ordered for the bike.

Or this one, physically larger and twice the amps and twice the cost: www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE/ .

BTW, I have an Anker, similar or identical to the one you cited, that I carry in my GoPro case, when going on vacation. Nice product, no complaints, but those NOCOs are much beefier.

·
Administrator
21,769 Posts
My Res-Med Air Sence 10 draws about 30 AH per night. I MUST have the Humidifier. So last year we had a major power outage and I did not have the use of my Apap and woke many times with chest pain.

So I bought 2 each Weize 35AH 12 Volt AGM batteries. I have a Dual Pull Dual Throw switch so I can charge them using a smart 24 volt charger and use them at 24 V in Series or switch them to 12 V in Parallel.

These will give me 2 good nights and then all I need to do is hook them up in parallel and run my Subaru for 1.5 hours to charge them.

They fit in a long dual Group 24 battery case.

35aH battery.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
A nice thread on how to DIY and the elimination of the power hungry Humidifier of a CPAP Unit.

A campers CCAP unit ....maybe covered by insurance ?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A campers CCAP unit ....maybe covered by insurance ?
Sadly...NOPE!

So... for those folks who have never had to deal with this nonsense... I can buy a gun, a house, and a car on the same day... all of which without any problem at all. Not even a phone call. HOWEVER... to get a CPAP:

1) if you have a deductible, the odds are you'll be paying out of pocket, as the cost of the unit is less than your deductible.

2) In order for that cost to go against your deductible, you can't just BUY the unit. You must RENT it for 7 to 13 months... which mean, generally, paying a monthly "rental fee," increasing the amount of out-of-pocket cost.

3) In order for that cost to go against your deductible, you can't just RENT the unit. You must in "compliance" at least 75% of the time. This means that for ANY 30 day period, you must have used the unit for no less than 4 hours per day, 75% of those days. Since this would be a backup/camping unit... this won't qualify.

4) Oh yeah... AND... In order for that cost to go against your deductible, you can't just rent the unit from ANYWHERE. You MUST go through the Durable Medical Equipment provider of the Insurance company's choosing. Which means you can't shop around for better pricing. My DME and Insurance company both acted confused why I'd even WANT to. My doctor's office got pissed off when I told them to hold off sending the script until I found another provider.

The machines absolutely save lives. And these a-holes know it, and have us over a barrel and revel in it. Seriously...I bought an AK-47, cash, at a gun show... the background check was online. The whole thing took me twenty minutes, and I got the one I wanted and a price I was happy to pay. My CPAP took two WEEKS of hassle... and I paid almost double for my unit what I could have paid with an online DME... BUT WAIT... there's MORE!

5) Because the rental period is 13 months (in my case), and that's longer than a year... you don't even get the entire purchase price against your deductible since it will ALWAYS be split up over two years. I got mine on Dec 27th, so at least the first 12 months were all on the same year. It didn't help though. I was silly and took care of myself.

I might be a little bitter about the whole situation. Not really sure. ;-)

Either way... I called my insurance, doctor, and DME. Before I could even finish saying I wanted a unit for campi... "I have to tell you the insurance won't cover it." All three.

That said... every insurance provider/plan is different.

And if someone is reading this, and needs a CPAP, but can't afford one, reach out to the Reggie White Foundation. They may be able to help.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A nice thread on how to DIY and the elimination of the power hungry Humidifier of a CPAP Unit.
I haven't used those tabs. I'm going to order a couple and try them with my DS. I've gone without the humidifier before. In the summer, it's not that bad. In the winter... Oh dear god... ;-)

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Res-Med Air Sence 10 draws about 30 AH per night. I MUST have the Humidifier. So last year we had a major power outage and I did not have the use of my Apap and woke many times with chest pain.

So I bought 2 each Weize 35AH 12 Volt AGM batteries. I have a Dual Pull Dual Throw switch so I can charge them using a smart 24 volt charger and use them at 24 V in Series or switch them to 12 V in Parallel.

These will give me 2 good nights and then all I need to do is hook them up in parallel and run my Subaru for 1.5 hours to charge them.

They fit in a long dual Group 24 battery case.

30 AH over how long?

I'm still looking at smaller power-bank style batteries, like this one from Renogy. Again, lugging two (roughly) MC batteries under the seat... plus the machine... is a bit much.

So I'm thinking something like the Z1/2 like the one @DarisPakar linked below. I've also read the DS GO slims down nicely without the humidifier. Plus I'm pretty sure OSCAR can read the card of the DS GO since they use the same data format as my DS. So I can report pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
Sadly...NOPE!

So... for those folks who have never had to deal with this nonsense... I can buy a gun, a house, and a car on the same day... all of which without any problem at all. Not even a phone call. HOWEVER... to get a CPAP:

1) if you have a deductible, the odds are you'll be paying out of pocket, as the cost of the unit is less than your deductible.

2) In order for that cost to go against your deductible, you can't just BUY the unit. You must RENT it for 7 to 13 months... which mean, generally, paying a monthly "rental fee," increasing the amount of out-of-pocket cost.

3) In order for that cost to go against your deductible, you can't just RENT the unit. You must in "compliance" at least 75% of the time. This means that for ANY 30 day period, you must have used the unit for no less than 4 hours per day, 75% of those days. Since this would be a backup/camping unit... this won't qualify.

4) Oh yeah... AND... In order for that cost to go against your deductible, you can't just rent the unit from ANYWHERE. You MUST go through the Durable Medical Equipment provider of the Insurance company's choosing. Which means you can't shop around for better pricing. My DME and Insurance company both acted confused why I'd even WANT to. My doctor's office got pissed off when I told them to hold off sending the script until I found another provider.

The machines absolutely save lives. And these a-holes know it, and have us over a barrel and revel in it. Seriously...I bought an AK-47, cash, at a gun show... the background check was online. The whole thing took me twenty minutes, and I got the one I wanted and a price I was happy to pay. My CPAP took two WEEKS of hassle... and I paid almost double for my unit what I could have paid with an online DME... BUT WAIT... there's MORE!

5) Because the rental period is 13 months (in my case), and that's longer than a year... you don't even get the entire purchase price against your deductible since it will ALWAYS be split up over two years. I got mine on Dec 27th, so at least the first 12 months were all on the same year. It didn't help though. I was silly and took care of myself.

I might be a little bitter about the whole situation. Not really sure. ;-)

Either way... I called my insurance, doctor, and DME. Before I could even finish saying I wanted a unit for campi... "I have to tell you the insurance won't cover it." All three.

That said... every insurance provider/plan is different.

And if someone is reading this, and needs a CPAP, but can't afford one, reach out to the Reggie White Foundation. They may be able to help.
Sorry about your medical needs.

But thank you for that detailed explanation. It will undoubtedly help others.

Should I develop a need for a CPAP, is the situation better for those on Medicare? Or does your explanation apply there, too?

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry about your medical needs.

But thank you for that detailed explanation. It will undoubtedly help others.

Should I develop a need for a CPAP, is the situation better for those on Medicare? Or does your explanation apply there, too?

The short answer is: Your coverage may vary. I'm really not sure.

I'm TOLD that Medicare is a lot easier to work with. But I'm not using that, yet. So I can't say, directly. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
It might be fiscally prudent to rent a camp site with only electric/water hook up until an affordable CPAP unit can be figured out. The big thing is quality of life and we all know what a good week-end of camping does for the soul.

·
Administrator
21,769 Posts
30 AH over how long?
My battery needs are based on using my ResMed AirSense 10 Auto that is set to auto ramp up to 15.

• With only the non heated hose and no Humidifier it will draw around 15 AH but I can not run it this way.
  • With the non heated hose and Humidifier set on #4 it draws around 40 AH. I can use this settings.
  • With the Heated hose and Humidifier set on #3 it draws a little less than 48 AH.
I am going to try adding a second water chamber and shut off the Humidifier to see is I could use just the non heated hose. This will let me use my battery set for about 4 nights on a charge.

If I set this up for Motorcycle camping it would be so easy to tap off the Burgman's 12 volts to charge these 2 batteries during the ride to the next nights camping spot.

ResMed power chart
ResMed.jpg

Reactions: wspollack

·
Administrator
21,769 Posts
Also note, the AirSense 10 uses 20 Volts DC input and the above power draws are figuring using a 12 volt battery and a matching 12 V input to 20 Volt output step up transformer. The transformer is drawing AMP's to make Volts.

I have a 24 volt to 20 volt Transformer and it draws less Amp's to clip voltages down. The two batteries strapped to 24 Volts is really 28 volts full charged so clipping 8 volts saves a lot of AH.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I use a Transcend unit..( a little larger than a drink can). The Transcend unit, head gear (nasal pillows), 18 inch hose, and power cords fit in a plastic shoe box.) No humidifier. I run it off of a 37 amp hour battery that's fits in the old style flip top Igloo cooler. I do pull a cargo trailer and also a Leesure Lite camper that I mount a 50 watt solar panel on and connect the battery to keep it charged. If you check the Z1 unit requires a specific mask, the Transcend unit doesn't. Been camping with it several years.

(Keep an eye on Craigslist or any of your local for sale sites for cpap machines for sale, I got my Transcend unit that way).

·
Registered
110 Posts
As a CPAP user I had something at Home Depot catch my eye. Today starts a sale Ryobi is having. The deal is two 4ah batteries a charger and a free tool. One of the choices is an inverter. For 99 00. Always nice to have choices. Looks like a viable choice? One fella seems to hav another viable choice, also now there are 9 ah batteries available too.
Capture+_2021-05-24-14-05-15.png
Capture+_2021-05-24-13-40-57.png

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As a CPAP user I had something at Home Depot catch my eye. Today starts a sale Ryobi is having. The deal is two 4ah batteries a charger and a free tool. One of the choices is an inverter. For 99 00. Always nice to have choices. Looks like a viable choice? One fella seems to hav another viable choice, also now there are 9 ah batteries available
I was thinking of something like this. Although you lose a bunch in the DC -> AC -> DC conversions. I bet if I could build a DC -> DC converter, like @Dave_J mentioned to step down the volts and up the amps, I'd get better results. AND, have something useful for several other purposes... including tools. Although... hmm... I'll need to give this some thought.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
I'd like to do some bike camping this year. And... despite all my efforts... HOURS of research... experimentation... I simply cannot get the extension cord to go beyond the end of the block. And at 100 watts...(12v 6.67 am... ok... why the hell does a LIFE-SAVNIG MACHINE require 6.66 AMPS!?!?!?... I digress) the machine is a bit of a power hog. So I'm looking for something more portable, with a lower power draw that I can run off something smaller than a car battery (and will fit under the seat) for at least two nights.
For the 2021 camping season just use a 50’ extension cord at camp sites with electric. There will be plenty of time this winter to research an alternative.

·
Administrator
21,769 Posts
In this post is a link to a Humidifier tank. $14.99 plus $5 shipping. You need 2 hoses

Cpap Humidifier.jpg

I may make a small candle heater that would heat the bottom of this tank.
A 12 hour candle in a TALL Bush's Bean can with holes punched around the top will heat a coffee cup well given enough time.

Use in a ventilated space.

No, a candle heater will not heat the room or tent. It will warm your cold hands. A large 12 hour candle puts out about 60-80 watts of heat. But if not covered the heat goes up to the ceiling and does nothing. Tea lights put out about 20 watts worth of heat.
  • You take a 8 inch clay plate that can hold water. Put the candle in a holder and put it on the plate and put water in the plate to keep any fire danger down.
  • The bottom of the tall tin can, above the water line in the plate, you punch five 1/2 inch holes. Then 3/4 inch from the top of the tin can you punch 5 more same size holes.
  • Light the candle and put the tin can over it.
  • Put the Humidifier water tank over the tin can.
I have not built a Candle heater for this yet. I have made them for hand warming. A large tin can (#10) with a can of Sterno fuel will heat up real nice.

Reactions: DarisPakar
1 - 20 of 29 Posts