Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
The problem is that far too many Americans are in an information bubble.
As far as they know, it's no worse than the flu and all this is some kind of evil experiment in social control.
The big outbreaks happen somewhere else -- big cities on the coasts, mostly.
And they happen to other people who aren't like them -- minorities in meat-packing plants and old people in convalescent homes (and the minority workers there too)..

If you think you're young, tough, and rural (suburbia can be rural if you feel it's rural), it's easy to believe you're immune. Then there's the whole, "hey, that cold you had back in January? Maybe that was the 'Rona and you're already immune!" wishful thinking....

And it takes effort and inconvenience -- and, yes, sometimes personal sacrifice -- to maintain isolation for everyone's benefit. Believing it's no big deal and you can do whatever you want -- that's a lot easier.

It takes a lot to break through that.

The virus doesn't care about what you think, though.

One last thing. It's easy to recognize a crowd protesting at capitol buildings or at a beach as a political movement. The counter-movement is a lot less obvious: the 70% of Americans who accept the need to stay home to protect others and themselves from the pandemic.

Just imagine any other protest or action that had 70% participation nationally, for weeks or months on end. You don't get that kind of solidarity outside of wartime, and sometimes not even then!
The town I live in is only 1500 people. In January you could not throw a stone and not hit someone with a flu like cold. I mean everyone we talked to. The symptoms were identical to CV19 most lasted a couple of weeks. It was not known what it was back then. Our news media sucks and it reports mostly garbage, I check it often. The jury is still out on masks, I have asked doctors every visit I make that has a different doctor to ask. It is easily possible to spread more germs with the mask than not. (I had cancer, bad...now I don't) I make many trips (when allowed). I have heard of nurses being asked to report Covid on on death certificates when that was not the case, know of one personally.This is a highly contagious flu. It don't like heat. It is not particularly hard to kill. I am afraid I believe the news media to be more politically motivated than concerned for the truth. I couldn't think of a quicker way to spread this thing than to lock a whole bunch of people in apartments...something about nursing homes? Distancing probably should occur anyway. May you all be able to replace the current big picture with a road memory past or present because the current big picture is still pretty ugly. Be well🤭🙄😷🤧😵

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
In 2002 my mom was recovering from Non-Hoskins Lymphoma treatment. Her immune system was still quashed.

My youngest sister who was a homeless Meth/Crack addict decided to go crash at my moms house. She was real sick and the doctors thought she had SAR's. But in her Crack induced head she did not care about my mom being in recovery from Chemo and radiation therapy.

One week later my mom was in hospital with pneumonia.
Two weeks later she was dead. The doctors would not do a SAR's test as it was not readily available.
omg

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
The town I live in is only 1500 people. In January you could not throw a stone and not hit someone with a flu like cold. I mean everyone we talked to. The symptoms were identical to CV19 most lasted a couple of weeks. It was not known what it was back then. Our news media sucks and it reports mostly garbage, I check it often. The jury is still out on masks, I have asked doctors every visit I make that has a different doctor to ask. It is easily possible to spread more germs with the mask than not. (I had cancer, bad...now I don't) I make many trips (when allowed). I have heard of nurses being asked to report Covid on on death certificates when that was not the case, know of one personally.This is a highly contagious flu. It don't like heat. It is not particularly hard to kill. I am afraid I believe the news media to be more politically motivated than concerned for the truth. I couldn't think of a quicker way to spread this thing than to lock a whole bunch of people in apartments...something about nursing homes? Distancing probably should occur anyway. May you all be able to replace the current big picture with a road memory past or present because the current big picture is still pretty ugly. Be well🤭🙄😷🤧😵
This post is full of medical misinformation.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
In 2002 my mom was recovering from Non-Hoskins Lymphoma treatment. Her immune system was still quashed.

My youngest sister who was a homeless Meth/Crack addict decided to go crash at my moms house. She was real sick and the doctors thought she had SAR's. But in her Crack induced head she did not care about my mom being in recovery from Chemo and radiation therapy.

One week later my mom was in hospital with pneumonia.
Two weeks later she was dead. The doctors would not do a SAR's test as it was not readily available.
Not "like"-ing this. But thank you.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
To be more accurate that Yale School of Public Health report did not say we actually passed 100,000 weeks ago it said we probably did. They based that on statistics for excess deaths. Excess deaths are defined as deaths above those normally expected. They made the assumption that they were Covid 19 related but did not go as far as saying they were actual Covid 19 cases. They said it could have been from other related causes like people not getting treatment for other illness because they were afraid of the virus. It also could have been from totally unrelated causes that were outside the range normally expected. The study did not delve deep enough into the causes to say for sure. The official numbers are those that can definitely be attributed to Covid 19.

This is a case of facts being reported in such a way as to leave an impression that is not fully supported by those facts. I don't think that was the intention of the Yale study but it is the way the media reported it.
More to the point, what they're saying is that they're confident that the actual number of CoVID-19 deaths is within a specified range, and the midpoint (median line?) of that range crossed 100K three weeks ago. Exactly which people's deaths had C-19 as the primary cause can't always be determined due to under- and over-counts but statistically that's how many it had to have been.

As an example, Florida had a really astonishing spike in "pneumonia" deaths starting early this year, that "just happened" to coincide with CoVID-19. But their CoVID-19 numbers weren't as high as expected. Funny, that.

They also fired their Department of Health Geographic Information Systems manager for not skewing the data the way they wanted.

This sort of thing happened in Russia as well. However, over there it also coincides with an epidemic of doctors falling out of windows...

The official numbers are an undercount. Some of that is just the way the paperwork is set up, and some is just that testing wasn't available or was prioritzed for the living. And, it looks like some of it is deliberate.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
....This is a highly contagious flu.
It's not an influenza. Most influenza strains are rhinoviruses, not coronaviruses.

It don't like heat. It is not particularly hard to kill.
Tomrow's forecast temperature for Rio de Janeiro is 81F. Doesn't seem to be working out for them -- Brazil has the third highest number of cases, after the US and Russia.

I am afraid I believe the news media to be more politically motivated than concerned for the truth. I couldn't think of a quicker way to spread this thing than to lock a whole bunch of people in apartments...something about nursing homes?
You could if you actually thought about it. People sharing an apartment will almost certainly expose the other residents. BUT, they'd do that anyhow, lockdown or no. The point is that they then won't be all going out and exposing OTHER people. If everyone in the apartment is uninfected, everyone in the apartment should STAY uninfected if they don't go out.

Distancing probably should occur anyway. May you all be able to replace the current big picture with a road memory past or present because the current big picture is still pretty ugly. Be well🤭🙄😷🤧😵

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
The daily high temperature is not what matters it's the daily average temperature (average of high and low). Studies have shown that the virus looses some but not all of it's ability to reproduce when the average daily temperature goes above 77 degrees. Brazil was somewhat protected in Jan Feb and March because their average temperature is normally above 77 in those months. It drops below 77 in April which coincides with the big increase in their number of cases.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
This is why you can’t necessarily believe the cause of death officially provided.

828DB1E6-73A7-496B-A60D-552C26BE4814.jpeg

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
One of the photos of pre-staged brick stashes that made the rounds on social media turned out to be right in front of a Chabad in Sherman Oaks, CA. (AP)
They were wire baskets containing rocks set up last year as a vehicle barrier to prevent terrorists from ramming a truck into the Jewish house of worship. At the LAPD's request, they dismantled them.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Yep. It's all over. Just 1000 Americans dying every day, and every day after that. No big deal, it's nobody important, at least nobody you know. And if it was, hey, they were going to die of something else anyhow eventually so they don't matter either.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yep. It's all over. Just 1000 Americans dying every day, and every day after that. No big deal, it's nobody important, at least nobody you know. And if it was, hey, they were going to die of something else anyhow eventually so they don't matter either.
Yeah the frustration y’all are being subjected to is disheartening. One of the things that plays into this is that line of Stalin’s which goes something like: Kill one person and it’s a tragedy; kill a hundred thousand and it’s a statistic. Statistics are so very far away from the real actual individuals on the receiving end That you can ignore it especially because it isn’t you. Yet.

I thought I might lighten the mood with a photo of Canadians social distancing.
0D6CD827-34A3-4E6B-A9EF-4A91E8ABFEDC.jpeg

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I come from a health care background and was deeply involved in the campaign against HIV/AIDS. So please help me understand the covid 19 test strategy.

There are actually two covid 19 tests:
1. A test tells you that you presently have got covid 19;
2. A test that tells you that you HAD Covid 19 because the antigen to the corona virus can be found in your blood.

Does anyone know hat is the time frame required for a person to reach the HAD (and, presumably, recovered) status such that the antigen can be found in their blood? This test is not available in Winnipeg. In Winnipeg we are only testing symptomatic individuals still.

For those proposing that the economy be normalized now - especially employers - wouldn’t it make sense to have the antigen test available and provide it to people being pressured to return to work. If positive they could return to work stress-free knowing they got the virus and their immune system protected them and, further, will protect them in future encounters with covid 19. This person likewise, according to my understanding, is also no longer a threat to others in the community. That would be a win for the employer and for the employee - who could return to work and no longer stress about putting themself or others at risk.

Reactions: Dave_J and Rusty J

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
A friend of my mother’s rushed into hospital yesterday due to Covid causing myocarditis (heart inflammation).
Original symptoms, generally felt unwell for a while followed by thinking they were having a heart attack. Seems to have gone straight for heart/circulatory system.

Didn’t believe in virus, carried on as normal.
———-

On another note.
Large study in UK has shown significant success for ventilator patients using a common cheap steroid called dexamethasone. It’s already in use as an anti-inflammatory and helps prevent/limit the cytokine storm.

In most serious ventilator cases can cut deaths by 1/3 and 1/5 for those on oxygen.
Calls for it to be adopted for worst cases without delay.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
On another note.
Large study in UK has shown significant success for ventilator patients using a common cheap steroid called dexamethasone. It’s already in use as an anti-inflammatory and helps prevent/limit the cytokine storm

Didn’t believe in virus, carried on as normal.

Yes read bbc posted an article on that. Hopefully something can be found. Im pessimistic a vaccine can be found that is my nature in default. Till I dont see I dont believe. Hopefully yes there will be. Ill be at the back of the line to see how much damage it will create

So many who think they can't be touched or walk around like they're invincible and till they dont see someone close to them get it, they dont care.

Get task forces to walk around in areas with lots of people and SLAM people with massive fines. $300+. Do that for a week. Let it get to the news, significant rise in people buying and wearing masks. Maybe automatically cancel them just as a scare tactic after 6 months. I dont know nim just thinking out loud.

Or what tactic would you recommend to get people to wear masks and keep distance ? seems many are desensitized and just dont give a rats asz to try minimally

Usa and uk are not doing good

And those swedes. Sheesh. Absolute clown that anders guy is. Im going to just guess and say they will need to restrict things as the nunbers are showing a consistent steady rise

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'm a bit more optimistic about a vaccine. My guess (not terribly informed, but based on what we know from SARS and MERS, the two previous pandemic coronaviruses, and that we've got a genetic sequence on SARS-CoV-2) is that we'll have a vaccine that's at least partially effective but of unknown long-term safety or side effects within a year. This will be useful for high exposure-risk individuals (medical personnel, military, maybe law enforcement) where the benefits outweigh the risks, but not for the general public. It may be up to two years (perhaps earlier, but I wouldn't expect it sooner than 18 months) before we have one that's proven to be both effective and safe, produced in sufficient quantity for mass distribution.

I also expect that within a few months there will be a much-hyped announcement of a vaccine that will turn out to be problematic (ineffective, severe if not fatal side effects, etc.). Possibly several such announcements. There will be strong political pressure to rush it (them) into production and distribution regardless of the risks, and the well-founded resistance from medical experts will be exploited for political purposes because that's just the way we do things now.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
I'm a bit more optimistic about a vaccine. My guess (not terribly informed, but based on what we know from SARS and MERS, the two previous pandemic coronaviruses, and that we've got a genetic sequence on SARS-CoV-2) is that we'll have a vaccine that's at least partially effective but of unknown long-term safety or side effects within a year. This will be useful for high exposure-risk individuals (medical personnel, military, maybe law enforcement) where the benefits outweigh the risks, but not for the general public. It may be up to two years (perhaps earlier, but I wouldn't expect it sooner than 18 months) before we have one that's proven to be both effective and safe, produced in sufficient quantity for mass distribution.

I also expect that within a few months there will be a much-hyped announcement of a vaccine that will turn out to be problematic (ineffective, severe if not fatal side effects, etc.). Possibly several such announcements. There will be strong political pressure to rush it (them) into production and distribution regardless of the risks, and the well-founded resistance from medical experts will be exploited for political purposes because that's just the way we do things now.
im happy youre optimistic. for me everything seems doom and gloom right now.
as soon as ill get a bike, my mindset will be better. less stress.

yes theyre talking about moderna having something soon. a lot of hype on so many things. new this and new that "Groundbreaking " "life saving" "major breakthrough". sure sure. we heard that cr~p before.

what puke lingo.

·
Banned
256 Posts

I'll not be having it, I'll go out kicking and biting if I have to. I don't even have the yearly flu vaccine. If i get the flu it's very mild. From August 2019 to January 2020 I visited the hospitals every day, three months at one hospital and three months at another hospital. In December I was unwell, I had a bad chest, dry cough, light headed. I think that was Corvid 19. I spent a lot of time at those two hospitals and it's very rare I get the flu.

PS, Please excuse my grammer as I'm not educated. I can count though, that's all I need.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
Plum, we never grade you on grammar. It is so easy for most to read what most members type.

I do sometimes edit to add spaces, capitalize a letter or drop down a sentence so it flows better. I never change the main idea. I'll rotate or crop a picture if a member posts one that wacky.

But bacicly I'll never tell someone if their typing is not college level, mine is not. I went to both Harvard and Cambridge. Cambridge, Massachusetts that is. My Ft Devins Army training was in Harvard and 30 miles from Cambridge where I took Military classes.

181 - 200 of 205 Posts