Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is simply a post of real concern to the people in the US. were almost done with c19 over here (for now) and reopening. people wear masks in the street and in EVERY store.
im certain weve all seen numbers but isnt anyone in the US scared? not worried, scared.the graph keeps showing 30000 infected daily. no change at all from a month ago with 30,000 new infections a day.
dam, im really worried for you guys. I will always have a place in my heart for the US. I lived there for 21 years. but the "land of the free/ill do what I went" personailities doesnt work well with this virus

what do you think is a good solution? keeping everything closed is also driving everyone crazy, people are very worried as they have no money for rent/food etc, and opening will definitely bring the numbers up because many people are not caring enough to their minimum part.

till about 2 weeks ago, I worked ina 24h mini supermarket/drugstore. part of my shift was a "security gaurd". being in then entrance of the store checking temperatures (37º and we didnt let people in-better safe then sorry-we got them what they wanted and brought it to them) and making sure those who entered had a mask on and also there was only 8 people allowed inside at a given time.very strict over here. I quit because I felt that there were people (here) who didnt give a ***k about other peoples safety. I can only imagine how it is there.

krap. I hope you guys get through it but so many who are not cooperating to keep distance or even wear a mask. so many not wearing it correctly. even an article of people being threatened and cursed at who work in the strore who tell people you need a mask to enter.

I see documentaries all day long. see news footage around the world. people are not keeping their distance or wearing masks. so many people going to parks and beaches.

Que Sera Sera Whatever will be will be

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I guess there's a few questions we need to ask of the USA.

How high does the death count have to get before you do pay attention?

How close to home (family, friends, etc) does death have to strike before you care?

Have you made out your Wills and Funeral Arrangements?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you made out your Wills and Funeral Arrangements?
wow, thats a sad thing to read. I saw that video of the guy filming in NY "this is for real yo, this is no joke"
I couldnt help but tear. maybe people are desensitized or watch news and cant relate it to real life. people are going down and feel because it hasnt come to their inner circle of friends and family, that theyre invincible or just ignore it. so its hard to put in effort or care when its someone else dying.

I spoke with my brother a while back when stuff was creeping into the us. and I said. Im sorry to say but im thinking with the way the numbers are showing (and peoples propensity to do as they please), at least 20000 deaths. he said around 50,000 and I was hesitant that it would be so high

we were both wrong. with over 900k cases still active, figure at least 150k if not more.its a terrible feeling. wanting to get back to life and on the other knowing that going back to it will bring the numbers up, forcing people to isolate again. 6 weeks now and no change to the stats.

·
Administrator
18,019 Posts
Most of the under 40 age group in USA do not care what happens to others. It all about them and THEIR freedoms and **** you and yours. Until it smacks the buttheads up side the head they will not care.

That said, if they want to screw around and go hang out together, that is fine. But take responsibility for your own actions and expect to pay the consequence when it does SMACK one of your love ones DEAD.
Basically if you go out and get infected and bring it home to your mom or dad and they die, you are GUILTY of Negligent Homicide

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Basically if you go out and get infected and bring it home to your mom or dad and they die, you are GUILTY of Negligent Homicide "

absolutely! really selfish people and quite a bit of stupid people who dont care. and that mindset spreads more and more. im really sad to see the situation is not getting better. now tons of anti vaccine protesters not helping the situation.
so many people who dont want the same things and theres no cooperation together just to get over the hurdle. if people could come together to do the basics. yes, everyone is suffering, but if were all strict and really keep distance, wear masks, the number can come down. if everyone knew 1 close person they were friends with or were close with died from it, everyone would understand, but till its not, "eh, so be it. I want to be free and do what I want" the younger gen are very selfish, entitled and want everything now.

its at 30,0000 infections consistently every day for a month. im curious what the numbers and the country will be like when things start slowing down, but at this rate, I think it will be late summer. and they write about the 2nd wave in fall, although possibly not as damaging. fingers crossed it isnt.

I also see the hospital dr/nurses and get scared to wind up in one. scared I didnt do the minimum (and it really is easy) and got infected and put more unnecessary strain on them. I can only imagine how they must feel. maybe walking in a zombie land. pinch me is this real feeling. around 1000 dead everyday. how they havent crashed mentally I dont know. they are strong warriors. I feel for them. I would be scared, even with all the ppe to work in that situation. I quit a job (that many would wish for any now) because I didnt want to get infected

the world looked at sars with an evil eye. as if those numbers were scary.
c19 is saying "sars who? im the boss in control now. I got your name right here on the list...shall I add a check mark?"

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts
Guys remember the USA is a big country with a big population 330+ million. Yes parts of it like New York are not doing to good. Most of it is doing just fine.

Take Texas for example. With a population of 29+ million it has a total of 30,522 cases. That gives it a case per million rate of 1052. Compare that to Germany with a case rate of 1976 per million. Death rate wise with 847 deaths Texas has a rate of 29 per million compared with Germany's rate of 82 per million. I use Germany because it is held up as a place that is doing really well. Texas has the 7th highest count of all the states. Most states have 6,000 or less cases. But then there is New York with over 313,000 cases or New Jersey with over 124,000 cases.

In other words don't think what you see in the news represents everything that is going on in the USA. It represents the sensational stuff that the news wants you to see.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I understand people wanting to get back to work and some kind of "normal"; I really want it, too. In Kentucky our numbers have been much lower than surrounding states because our governor took early, effective measures to limit the spread. At a protest at the capital yesterday about 1000 people were packed in tightly together. The speaker told the few wearing a face covering to remove them.

·
Administrator
18,019 Posts
I understand people wanting to get back to work and some kind of "normal"; I really want it, too. In Kentucky our numbers have been much lower than surrounding states because our governor took early, effective measures to limit the spread. At a protest at the capital yesterday about 1000 people were packed in tightly together. The speaker told the few wearing a face covering to remove them.
And Gary, wait for 14 days and report back the % of new outbreaks of that crowd. :(

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
From outside the US, it isn’t the current “sensationalised“ situation that is the focus.
It is the astronomical potential the US situation has.
(and people wanting to show off their guns and camo on city hall steps)

My American friends are mostly saying lifting measures is one thing but they aren’t going out to eat are getting on a plane or any of those things so hopefully the explosive potential of relaxing measures will be considerably stifled.

Texas figure to New York figure s less than 6 doubling if things return to exponential growth and that can happen really fast.
It took the UK about a month to reach 500 total deaths, a week later we hit 500 a day,
All of a sudden it wasn’t people on tv dying, it was people I’d met, then people I knew.

Luckily all 4 cases in the family have recovered so far.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
things are ok in certain parts but theres so many not caring about spreading, it might go everywhere. a lot of people spreading and the numbers are going up and up. I hope it gets better but the rebellious/freedom/ill do what I want, will be a reason why c19 may in the usa for a long time. long after many others have passed through it.I hope im wrong.

sheesh. it really isnt hard. I was in the supermarket paying and this guy comes close to me to start getting his things. I told him, get back 6' and let me finish packing my things. people act as if it was a 1 week affair of the winter flu and alls good now. the fact that supermarkets and others dont keep reminding people of this shows that the problem will longer more then needed. also I see the cashiers without their masks, some with, loosely fitted. these shetty fabric thin types that made by fabric of the outer layer of a neoprene suit. and its loose fiting. not on the nose tight around the face. dont tell me its difficult to wear a mask all day. I did with a tight fit on mine, and a face shield and with a problematic left lung that collapsed last year. anyone who comes near me, I will call them out to keep their distance.
shame the police dont give fines. that would make a difference to stop people doing as they please

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
"Like" for solid reporting, not for what you reported, just to be clear.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The problem is that far too many Americans are in an information bubble.
As far as they know, it's no worse than the flu and all this is some kind of evil experiment in social control.
The big outbreaks happen somewhere else -- big cities on the coasts, mostly.
And they happen to other people who aren't like them -- minorities in meat-packing plants and old people in convalescent homes (and the minority workers there too)..

If you think you're young, tough, and rural (suburbia can be rural if you feel it's rural), it's easy to believe you're immune. Then there's the whole, "hey, that cold you had back in January? Maybe that was the 'Rona and you're already immune!" wishful thinking....

And it takes effort and inconvenience -- and, yes, sometimes personal sacrifice -- to maintain isolation for everyone's benefit. Believing it's no big deal and you can do whatever you want -- that's a lot easier.

It takes a lot to break through that.

The virus doesn't care about what you think, though.

One last thing. It's easy to recognize a crowd protesting at capitol buildings or at a beach as a political movement. The counter-movement is a lot less obvious: the 70% of Americans who accept the need to stay home to protect others and themselves from the pandemic.

Just imagine any other protest or action that had 70% participation nationally, for weeks or months on end. You don't get that kind of solidarity outside of wartime, and sometimes not even then!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Just imagine any other protest or action that had 70% participation nationally, for weeks or months on end. You don't get that kind of solidarity outside of wartime, and sometimes not even then!
Thanks Rusty, that statement made me feel a whole lot better about what I am seeing when I go out. I should see the masks and distancing that IS happening instead of concerning myself with the ones who don't comply, After all, they are the ones who will get sick, develop the herd immune response and by that, keep others safe. That seems cold, it is, we tried , they din't listen, now they are sick, the sad part, their vulnerable, dead, Darwin lives on.

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts
I think the vast majority of people are following the rules. Probably more than the 70% number being batted around. I know around here you don't often see groups of people. At the grocery people keep their distance and most are wearing mask. Most of the businesses are still closed. Many of the restaurants are still only carry out orders to go. Maybe a few more will open this week as they get procedures in place to adjust to the new 25% capacity restrictions.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Since people lack a shared sense of crisis, instead of staying home they’re hoping for the best and assuming they won’t get infected.”

I read this on a news page. this is also a problem. people who are panicking, people who are delusional, people who dont care, and people like me and im certain others who say, lets suffer a bit more for our own good. lets do the basics. (really not make believe) keep our distance and wear a mask (properly-which many do not or wear these thin bed sheets homemade ones)

" it's no worse than the flu and all this is some kind of evil experiment in social control."

I heard that. people also saying its a conspiracy so the govt can have more tracking control or can make more money. nonstop retardation.

"And it takes effort and inconvenience -- and, yes, sometimes personal sacrifice -- to maintain isolation for everyone's benefit. Believing it's no big deal and you can do whatever you want -- that's a lot easier."

you read my mind. the faster we do this the faster well get the numbers down. but many people cant hold long and want to work and dont give a rats asz on any progress weve already put in

I quit my job at the supermarket because so many are in their own world. they only care about now and me and what I want right now. did you die right now because I didnt wear a mask when going into the store (even though it says you should wear a mask)? no? so whats the fuss about. its terrible when you have so many who dont care. till it doesnt hit them or someone close to them, nothing will convince them. ims till shocked why they dont force people to wear a mask in a store or give them a fine $250. even if after a year they can "erase" it, its a tactic to worry people about getting a fine, or even arresting them.

yesterday I went over to the b400 in the parking lot. I gave it a "hey wake up" kick. it didnt care, so I rode away on my ebike

today I wasn on the bus. some entitled little miss princess with her " oh em gee" attitude was 50cm from the back of my head (and listening to their millennial nonsense they talk on the phone is enough to paralyze you from boredom) I turned to her and said " listen, its all nice that you have your trendy patterned "look at me im cute" mask on half assed so loosely only covering your mouth, but its another when youre talking into the back of my head. either you turn the phone off and suffer till you get off, or you get up to another seat away from me, or im going to cough on you nonstop and well see how you feel"

she got off the phone.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mh.... finally a tranquil thread about this all.

Ciao! from you friendly italian burg-man (what would be a burg-man? :p )
I've been silent 'cause there was too much stuffs going on and I was'nt able to follow the topics. (You know? we're just the same. I see ppl of different nations being exactly the same).

Here, today, is begin of Phase 2 . Some activities are opening, you can go to see your closer relatives, you may go buy takeaway food (restaurants, ice-creamery, bar, etc can only sell you things to take away or for home delivery), you can't still go out of your region.
So today was my first day in the office from 12 march. Tomorrow i'll go with TRON, so finally i can ride for about 40km a day, even if these are boring roads.

We will see if these degrees of freedom will hurt again or are manageable. Still a lot of small business are waiting for the opening (some at 18 of may, some other at june) or just givin up and calling bankrupt.

I have not enough imagination to see how (lacking words here, pls be patient) swimming pools, beach businness, SPA, massage and fitness centres, discos, and whoever makes money working on people can open and survive. Tourism this year will be a ghost. We will see.

Stay safe guys.

·
Registered
956 Posts
May the 4th ... be with you. With y’all. (I thought some levity was required here, and today is the day 4 it.)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
my heart cries for people in italy. such suffering.

"May the 4th ... be with you "
thats cute.

that flint Michigan security guard getting killed is horrible. thats horrific.
because people need to put a mask on to not spread or catch a virus. ridiculous. im glad I quite my job at the super market 2 weeks ago. I felt with the confrontations from customers who were anti mask wearing, put me and my coworkers and many other customers who really were scared and cared in danger.
I could see around 20% are scared and really follow the rules. distance/masks/gloves. then 50% who are half assing because they need to and 30% (many of them russians) who dont care. they say its stupid and the chance theyll tie is slim. the feel brave. bigger people have fallen.. the whole environment was scary to me. so If I get the virus but then pass it to others in the store and then you have a large nixed up salad bowl of mish mosh.

so really self centered egotistical shetheads

·
Registered
211 Posts
"because people need to put a mask on to not spread or catch a virus. ridiculous."

I visited my local Home Depot recently and was taken aback by how many people were not wearing masks.

I'm basically a walking HazMat suit when I go out -- ball cap, KN95 mask, gloves, ear plugs (for the bike, mostly) and splash goggles over my glasses. I wash down groceries and packaging when I get home and throw my clothes in the laundry.

I came home and posted about the lack of masks on a Facebook community forum. The message was simple and altruistic: We wear masks for OTHER PEOPLE, for all of us. The most effective way to reduce the amount of infected droplets in the air is for virus carriers (who can be asymptomatic!) to wear masks.

Can't argue with that, right?

Oh, the howls of indignation in reply! Endless snarky posts, memes about Facemask Police and Nazis and several personal insults -- one actually said I should be shopping at Bed, Bath & Beyond instead of Home Depot. Apparently, I am not a real man because I wear a mask (not wishing to die by gasping for my last breath for a week in mortal terror).

Some of these folks are uninformed. Some are arrogant or rebellious. And some fall into a special category ... you can't fix stupid.

Any country is very influenced by its president. Ours minimized the threat for months, ranging from "it's one person from China" to "it will disappear, like a miracle." Germany's chancellor has a doctorate in quantum chemistry. As a 66-year old in a higher risk group, I'd be way more comfortable with Germany's collective response in the U.S.

Ultimately, just like life, everybody has to navigate their way from start to finish. Part of me thinks, "Okay, you knuckleheads want to gather in closed spaces without masks, infect each other and cull the herd? That's what you call freedom? Then knock yourself out."

The sensible part of me thinks I'm going to be Mr. HazMat for a long, long time.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts