Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering:

Do any of you wear jackets with kidney protection "built-in"? Does this kind of thing even exist?

Do you HAVE to wear boots when riding? I understand that you need something with a sole made of material that will grip the pavement, but boots aren't the only type of footwear that have that, or?

That's all for now, I guess. ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
More than 90% of the time, I wear a leather jacket with armor protection at the elbows, shoulders, and I have a back armor too. (there are jackets out there with extended back & kidney protection, but these are not common).

99.9% of the time, I wear armored leather gloves with double pads and stitchings.

100% of the time, I wear a full faced helmet

At least 80% of the time I wear leather boots that offer good ankle protection and go about half-way up my shin. Harley Davidson brand boots are great.

My view is: the more armor protection on yourself, the better, but comfort and dexterity is important too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess when you're riding along in the summer it doesn't get too hot in a leather jacket.

I might even put a pair of sneakers in the trunk for when I'm off the scooter...

I agree with wearing a full-faced helmet all the time, both for safety and comfort.

And yeah, I'll need to get gloves made for motorbike/scooter use.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I myself wear a Joe Rocket textile jacket with armour in all the appropriate places. I just purchased Teknic touring boots over the winter.I just found this great link that lists links to many different manufactures of riding gear, including helmets ,jackets,boots ,gloves etc.
http://www.best-motorcycle-gear.com/motorcycle-apparel.html

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Riding Gear

Obviously you don't HAVE to wear any of this stuff (except a helmet in many states & eye protection). The problem is that you'll pay the price if you have a mishap and lack adequate protection against road burn, trashed ankle and various other unpleasant stuff.

In the case of boots, I'd make sure that they provide some ankle support & protection. I sprained one of my ankles very badly last Summer, and I can tell you that took most of the fun out of my life for about 6 weeks. A few years ago I had an approaching car run over a steel bar that was laying in the road. The bar came flying through the air at me and hit me in my boot. Stung for a minute or two, but no damage done.

With any of this gear, you are almost always better off using something that is specifically designed for motorcycling. It's not just image - there are differences in the way riding gear is designed to make it more functional for riding. A good set of riding boots is easier to get in and out of, and probably more comfortable to walk in than the Timberlands in your picture. My boots are zippered down the side, so I just side my foot in, pull up the zipper - done. No laces to mess with.

Cost can be a factor of course, but sometimes shopping around can help, and I've even found some good deals at local dealerships by dickering a bit. My dealer tried selling me a $350 First Gear riding jacket last year. When I balked at that, he went into the back room and found a new jacket in a discontinued brand - for $100. I wear it a lot, and I really like it. My boots are Corbin - they are excellent. Corbin was getting out of the boot business last year and was selling out their stock at a substantial discount via their web site. If you hunt around a bit, you can often come up with a quality piece of gear at a bargain price.

·
Registered
733 Posts
halshak,

It is a pain wearing all the gear ...

But for me 25 years of riding various bikes and now scooter, have had 3 semi lucky accidents

P.S – Australia drives on the left side

1 - Car running a set of traffic lights, had to do quick exit right and ran up medium strip and went for a short flight, jumping of mid air so I wouldn’t land with the bike, (the bike was going to land on it’s side.)
Result bike not to good, Me very good all thing consider, scratch elbow & torn jacket.

2 - Car pulled out right on top of me no time to take left turn, not room to exit to footpath due to very narrow and street light pole on the corner, had to try getting between parked car and car that pulled out on me ... My right foot found her bumper bar and the car rode up on my foot … This time bike not bad lost ignition points cover and one set of points dented rear of muffler ... Me torn right shoe 1/2 off (like your shoe in your picture) and my little toe now dangling in to breeze so I lent down (I stayed on the bike this time) popped it back on the bone ...

3- Gets worse … with below the knee length motorbike boots and wearing all the right gear and riding on XT500 Yamaha road trail bike, car over taking (5am in the morning on the way to work o/time) guess what didn’t see me ! , exit into bush with barbed wire fence (no thanks) pull over to edge of road to let him through sounds ok except car decided to do the same, O [email protected] get back to middle to late … side swiped car front to back, blow his front tyre and dented the rim with my left foot and the bikes foot peg snapped off, then continued down the side of his car with my leg as wrecking ball … took out every panel from headlight to tail light, this is going to hurt later … still managed to stay on the bike, quick look down to see foot peg gone and side stand flapping in the breeze … this will be tricky stopping and putting side stand down, couldn’t feel or move my leg ? … Anyway did manage it …
This time bike and I copped it … But boots saved my leg – ended up with the lots off broken foot bones and toes and mega bruising on side of leg (like hard skin now)
But nothing ripped of the bone this time … no blood got to be good ?

So 3 accidents I should be ok now (bad thing come in 3’s don’t they !)

So if I was riding my scooter in # 3 accident my leg would be a lot better ??

Anyway that's my 2 dollars worth

Greg ...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Some scary stories there. Whatever you wear, motorcyling has it's inherant risks.

Despite that, I were a suit everyday on the 250 big-scoot to work through Tokyo ever weekday. I take it easy and presume all drivers are mad and have a strong desire to flatten me into the tarmac. In 35,000kms I have not had a single incident. Having said that, my big-scoot is white, looks very much like the feared Police Bikes (white VFR800s over here), always runs with the lights on, and has ABS. The speed limit is between 20mph and 40mph here. In reality, although you may touch 50mph, the "White Bikes" will pounce between 8am and 8pm, and there is no escape. 3 strikes, and it's back to driving school for you... No presence outside the cities though.

At weekends when I go touring I use a a CE armout fitted fabric jacket, as well a CE armour knee protected Honda fabric over-trousers in Winter, early Spring, and late Autumn. In late Spring, Summer and early Autum, I wear a CE armour protected airteck jacket, and combat trousers with velcro CE armour knee protection. Fabric stuff is far more comfortable than leather - although i have some of that gear too for riding the x11 when the mood takes me.

I use an Arai RX7 full face all year round, and reinforced gloves, and Elf motorcycle boots that have ankle and toe protection, whilst loking like normal street sneakers. These really grip the road well - I almost tripped over when walking when I changed from the Alpine Stars touring (hiking style) boots to these. I use normal formal shoes on the commute.

I had an opportunity to test the strength of this package in January when I laid my x11 down on debris on a remote mountain bend at 30mph. The bike was almost written off (repaired now to the tune of 8k USD), but I hadn't even a scratch. Jacket needed to be replaced, and the over trouser knee protector cover had to be repaired.

Do want you budget allows, but be mindlful of the risks.

Good luck all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I don't want to sacrifice safety over style. I'm well aware that riding a scooter or any motorised 2-wheeler is much more dangerous than a car. I will do all I can to assure that I ride safely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my motorcycling and scootering experience, I can recommend (from a comfort and durability standpoint, not a crash test standpoint!) the following:

1) Alpinestars leather jackets/gloves
2) Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jackets (great for hot climates!)
3) Sidi motorcycle boots (the make some low-rise ones as well)
4) Shoei helmets
5) HJC AC-3 3/4 helmet (perfect for the scooter!)

I vary the amount of gear that I put on with the type of ride that I'm going on...freeways get the works, while going down the street to a friends may just get a helmet and gloves...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Our newbie gear

Lynn and I are new (or new after many, many years break) to cycling/scootering and figured we were better off treating this as we would a traditional motorcycle. We bought the following:
Jackets: She got an Arlen Ness, I got a Joe Rocket Atomic. Textile jackets with built-in body armor, zip-out quilted liners. Cost betw. $120-$140 each.
Gloves: mesh and leather--mesh over fronts of fingers, perforated suede over palms, leather "knuckle" band. Approx. $35 each pair
Helmets: We both got HJC CL-14s full-facers. DOT and Snell approved. $130.

We also got Harley-Davidson boots--black leather that look like workmen's boots, steel toe, good soles, break-in time only about 2 hours, no kidding. $90 or so.

I will be getting a kidney belt--a fellow one-kidneyed person who's also a rider recommened a stretchable fabric one to me. They also make leather kidney belts. Price approx. $35. Since I've just got the one kidney now, I wonder if I can get a one-sided belt for half the price. :D

Happy riding,

Bryna the 1-Kidneyed :toothy7:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Re: Our newbie gear

Invincsum said:
Lynn and I are new (or new after many, many years break) to cycling/scootering and figured we were better off treating this as we would a traditional motorcycle. We bought the following:
Jackets: She got an Arlen Ness, I got a Joe Rocket Atomic. Textile jackets with built-in body armor, zip-out quilted liners. Cost betw. $120-$140 each.
Gloves: mesh and leather--mesh over fronts of fingers, perforated suede over palms, leather "knuckle" band. Approx. $35 each pair
Helmets: We both got HJC CL-14s full-facers. DOT and Snell approved. $130.

We also got Harley-Davidson boots--black leather that look like workmen's boots, steel toe, good soles, break-in time only about 2 hours, no kidding. $90 or so.

I will be getting a kidney belt--a fellow one-kidneyed person who's also a rider recommened a stretchable fabric one to me. They also make leather kidney belts. Price approx. $35. Since I've just got the one kidney now, I wonder if I can get a one-sided belt for half the price. :D

Happy riding,

Bryna the 1-Kidneyed :toothy7:
There we go Bryna something else we have in common .....or dont have hehe. I too am a 1 kidney person. I don't wear a belt. I use to race motocross and wore one then as well as my gokarting days. I was only born with one Kidney, just like my father and his father. BTW I don't drink alcohol at all.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If I had but a single kidney I'd probably either forego the liquid pleasure or drink sparingly.

Having been blessed with two, I have a few scotches in the evening before dinner. As Hemingway said when quizzed by a non-drinking reporter, "It's a way of ending the day."

I never ride if I've had even one beer.

I never ride without some sort of helmet (Shoei RF900, HJC Sy-Max, or a Davida Mike Hailwood style British helmet with euro split lens goggles, just for giggles. I'm waiting for someone to loan me their Velocette Thruxton).

I wear, depending on temperature, an AGV mesh jacket with built-in pads if it's hot. In reasonable weather I wear a blue & white Fieldsheer racing jacket with serious built-in pads (actually, it's so tight it's uncomfortable, I guess they're built that way for racing - it's certainly the right size), and when it gets nasty cold I wear a 3/4 length black Gortex coat with built in padding and a snap in thermal liner.

When I ride I never do so without footwear that covers my ankles. I have Red Wings - 4 inches above the ankle, and a pair of Harley style boots (I cut the buckle off).

My weak spot is a tendency to wear levis. Every time I've gotten off, in the dirt or on pavement, it's always my legs that get banged up; never broken either, but when will I smarten up and buy some pants with built in pads? I'm glad I wrote this. I just made a note to buy some next trip to Tucson.

Gloves? Good ones. The kind that cost a lot of money and have finger pads, metal studs in the palms, and gauntlets. I went out riding one day on cow trails wearing, stupidly of course, a pair of Tourmaster summer gloves, perforated and devoid of pads. I fell off twice in a rocky dry wash and banged up both hands so badly the doctor said, after looking at X-rays, I can't bellieve you didn't break anything.

Never again will I wear wimpy gloves.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hehehe

Ted, I hear you re: gloves. Maybe something I'll upgrade sooner rather than later.

Allan: I knew I liked you for a reason! :D The one-kidneyed need to stick together...and obviously have excellent taste in hobbies/fun activities. 8) Funny, when I had my nephrectomy, the doc said my only restrictions were no contact sports or motorcycling. I debated about not riding but my desire to LIVE life while here won out. I'm fortunate, too, in that Lynn is very supportive of this philosophy.

For the record, I rarely drink and then, people laugh because I get buzzed from about 1/8th of a glass of beer. (Not a one-kidney thing, just a low-tolerance thang.) So one glass of anything is more than my limit. Would never drink before driving a car let alone get behind the handlbars of a bike.

Bryna[/b][/u]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gear

I've had a motorbike licence for the best part of 20 years, although the majority of that time I've spent in a cage (ie a four wheeled vehicle as opposed to the two wheeled kind.)

However, this Saturday the 15th of May 2004 while collecting my third motorcycle (1st one from new, 1st one over 500cc's and 1st ever scooter...Burgman 650) I am also purchasing...full face helmet (rode with a 3/4 as a young bloke, caught gravel under the visor, ouch...) DriRider Nordic jacket (the name says it all) and pants...(my part of the world (40kms Nth of Canberra, national capital of Australia) gets mighty cold in winter (ie. now)), boots, gloves, Givi top box (yeah I know, loads of space under the seat, which was a selling point for me...can't have too much storage space though...) and a taller screen.

An extra $Aus2,000, but better to be wrapped up all cosy and warm in the depths of winter with rain and sleet blurring your vision, than slowly sinking into hypothermia riding to work...

Wore a (faux) leather jacket while riding 100cc machine (okay, it was vinyl) when I was very young, and suffered a gravitational induced collision with a kerb (jacket slid up my arm, skin around my elbow created friction with kerb...) caused neat scarring. Never again - decent jacket with armour in the elbows

Once rode without gloves (same 100cc machine), walking pace crash (literally) on gravel, palms out, OUCH!! Never again - decent gloves, leather palms - no front brake on gravel - the lessons we learn.

Once rode after consuming beers (175cc road/trail machine) and entered roundabout while somewhat intoxicated - exited same roundabout after...moment....instantly sober. Never again!!

Being nearly 40, the lesson's of youth reverberate with considerably more vigour than previously - clearly with more (disposable?? not sure about that) income than aged 20, I'm better able to apply those lessons.

Looking forward (okay an EXTREME understatement) to Saturday and the collection of Mr B.

Love the forum.

Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Riding gear...

For starters, an HJC CS-12 helmet. DOT-approved. Probably replacing that soon enough with an HJC CL-14 or something similar. If the Nolan flip-up helmet (not sure of the model, I think it's the N100E, but I might be wrong) might fit my big noggin, I'd opt for one of those.

Alpinestar summerweight gloves with knuckle armor and leather palm surfaces w/ venting. For winter/fall, Joe Rocket Ballistic gloves with thermal liners. For REALLY cold winter riding, Nordic Gear polypropylene battery-powered heated liners.

Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket for warm-weather riding. Joe Rocket Meteor 4.0 jacket for cold-weather riding. Matching Joe Rocket overpants for cold, wet weather.

ICON ankle-length motorcycle boots. They work well, and have saved my feet in the past from quite a bit of damage during a low-side at low speed.

Oh, for VERY cold weather, I also wear merino wool socks and a balaclava. <G>

PWB

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
As to footwear, just make sure it is leather and at least covers the ankle bone (ain't much skin between the road and the bone should you go down).
As stated before, make sure the sole has lots of traction. Many a bike has been dropped because the rider's foot slipped on stones, sand and wet and slippery road surfaces (a good example is at toll booths where lots of cars loose oil and water/anti-freeze while waiting in line - like ice).
Jackets are a matter of choice. Just make sure you always wear a jacket that has some abrasion resistance in the event of a fall. Even in hot weather the jacket provides protection for your skin from the sun. Without a jacket, the sweat on your bare skin dries almost immediately and does not provide the evaporative cooling-effect that you get when you sweat with a jacket on. In hot weather I usually wear a denim jacket with the front partialy unbuttoned and the cuffs unbuttoned to allow air circulation.
Whenever I see one of those "cool" riders with flip-flops, shorts, tank-top (or no top) and no lid, all I can see is an idiot who is going to have an extremely unpleasant and painful experience if he/she should go down.
:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts