Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm more mechanically reclined than inclined, I plan on having my 600 mile service done at the dealer. What should I expect to/did you pay?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Not really going to help you much but I paid $150 cdn from the dealer that I bought it from. Don't know if it matters but my Suzuki dealer was/is a Suzuki car dealership that sells bikes as well.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had wildly varying quotes for the first service ranging from $75 + parts to $225 + parts. I'm wondering what 'real world' pricing should be.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ok then,

Lets estimate the time and then assume the shop rate is $60 (US dollars/hr). If you are paying according to hourly rate then I would estimate, even for a fairly competent suzuki mechanic, a minimum of 3 hours for the following:

1) Removing the necessary body panels (seat, bottom panel, clutch filter cover and maybe the rear box)
2) Removing the, air box, and moving the fuel injector manifold
3) Removing the valve cover
4) Checking and adjusting the valves

5) Oil and engine filter and "O" rings changed (engine only .... tranny not scheduled yet)

6) Replacing all the above panels and components.

That works out to be alot of work and I would think $180 is a reasonable cost. BTW I can do all of this on my moto guzzi or BMW in about 1 hour. Too bad they didn't make the valve hydrualic!
6)

·
Registered
27 Posts
600 Mile Service

This may help you. I just got 3 quotes for my 600 mile service in the Cleveland area. They were $185 + tax.....$215.......and $250.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My 600 mile service was billed at $208.09, of which $162.50 was labor. The infamous Suzuki oil filter was $13.92. Since I had purchased the 3 year maintenance agreement, out of pocket cost to me was $0.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just dropped off my 400 at the local Suzuki dealer after speaking to service manager on the phone. They have worked on other Burgmans before and still estimate the 600 mile service at $75 (labor) + parts and tax. We'll see what the actual bill comes to. Due to the time of year, it'll be the first of the week before I get my ride back [shiver]. Gonna go thru 'bike withdraw'. Too bad they didn't have a loaner bike available. Guess I have to make do with a cage till then. :(

·
Registered
793 Posts
A year ago I had my AN650 first service done at Sierra Cycles (Sierra Vista, AZ).

A day after getting it back home, I discovered an oil puddle on the garage floor.
I arranged by phone with Sierra Cycles for a fefund of the $100+ labor because I felt a local
dealer should look at it before I get back on the highway (more costs).

Sierra Cycles refunded the labor portion by mail then I had the drain plug tightened and the bike filled
again here locally at another Suzuki dealer.

3 weeks later, while strolling through Sierra Cycles' Kawasaki store here in Tucson
(Performance Cycle Center), I was asked to leave and to never walk into either of their stores again.

--

"I stuffed the bill into my shirt"
- Harry Chapin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just had my 600 mile done - Service Mgr said I didn't need valve adjustment, at least this time. Total for me was $80...........

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ajwood said:
A year ago I had my AN650 first service done at Sierra Cycles (Sierra Vista, AZ).

A day after getting it back home, I discovered an oil puddle on the garage floor.
I arranged by phone with Sierra Cycles for a fefund of the $100+ labor because I felt a local
dealer should look at it before I get back on the highway (more costs).

Sierra Cycles refunded the labor portion by mail then I had the drain plug tightened and the bike filled
again here locally at another Suzuki dealer.

3 weeks later, while strolling through Sierra Cycles' Kawasaki store here in Tucson
(Performance Cycle Center), I was asked to leave and to never walk into either of their stores again.

--

"I stuffed the bill into my shirt"
- Harry Chapin
Urrmmm....how did the other store know who you were? Did they put up a 'Wanted (dead or alive) poster'? :)

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Herfnerd said:
Just had my 600 mile done - Service Mgr said I didn't need valve adjustment, at least this time. Total for me was $80...........
So the quote provided may not be too far off. Hopefully, I'll get to pickup my 400 today. We'll see how the charges actually add up.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The office manager from the Sierra Vista store commutes between the the Tucson and Sierra Vista stores and saw me in the Tucson store about a week after he mailed me the check. Not a word about it then.

I was still getting discounts on parts from when I had owned a W650 I bought from the Tucson store the previous year.
I guess it griped them that I parked my Burgy in front of their Kawasaki store to walk in and get a discount on Kawachem oil. I'll never have to know.

When I was "shown the door" the commuting office manager wasn't there and no one knew what was going on and would only say that they were "told to" ask me to leave forever by someone at the main Sierra Vista store because of "a problem with you". They also seemed to be in a hurry to get me out of there perhaps because the office manager was on his way.

I'll attribute their abusive style to: Lack of training.

---

wile wile west.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got back from the dealer (and a short ride) after my 600 mile service. Total cost was $220 plus some loose change. $175 (3.5 hours at $50 per hour) was for the checking / adjusting the valves. The service manager suggested that the valves will need to be checked ever other oil change. Guess I better order the service manual and start buying tools.

Broke but riding again.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hello Herfnerd,

If you have a 400 then your dealership lied to you! I hope you have the 650 because this would be true for this model. I did mine and the intakes were tight.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hey Billmeek,
If I can tweak my own valves, anyone can.

AN400K3 Service Manual:
99500-34080-03E

---

When you're ready, I'll give you pointers over the phone if you want.
You Do Not have to take all those body parts apart like the book says, and
Im not trying to be sloppy.

For example, when you need to get to the CVT filter, you only really need
to remove the floorboards, all of the plastic fasteners there and the
two screws near the back. The two loose body pieces separate, letting you
into the area of the filter without having to take them completely off.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ajwood said:
When you're ready, I'll give you pointers over the phone if you want.
You Do Not have to take all those body parts apart like the book says, and
Im not trying to be sloppy.
Thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on that. I've never worked on any bike before and have done limited work on cars/trucks. I can work on electronics so I'm not a complete klutz. Working on your own bike is just a part of getting into the whole riding experience.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got my 400 back. Droped it off at 10 in the morning and it was ready at 4:30. Total cost was $229.16.
This included all maintenance as shown on the Suzuki periodic maintenance schedule.

oil charge $8.38
oil filter $6.56
Labor $200.00
shop sup $1.25
Tax $12.97

The service manager and the tech went over everything with me! 8)
Idle adjusted lower and the brakes were adjusted and filled.Valves were adjusted but they were in spec. They assured me that the final gear oil does NOT need to be changed until 7,500 miles as Suzuki recommends. Though they said if I wanted it they would do it. I took their advice and will wait.

Next recommended service at 4,000 miles.

Very pleased with their service and especially with the scoot

Alan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cost Of 600 Mile Service

Just had my 600 mile service done at a local scooter shop called Pride of Cleveland Scooters (not a Suzuki dealer) for $123 and the valves did not need adjusting. These guys know more about scooters than most Suzuki Motorcycle dealers.......they said they will take care of all my service needs in the future and suggested I get the service manual for reference.
Evidently they do not see too many motors with valves out of adjustment with under 1500 km.........they really liked the Burgy 400 and said Suzuki and Honda have the strongest engines on the market.....kinda like the Eveready Bunny......they just keep on going if you take care of them.
PS: They told me to go to Radio Shack and get a Piazzo? horn for under $10 and they will wire it into the turn signals so it will beep when the turn signals are on :idea:. I am going to give it a try.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hello Relin22,

I think that your service people may have the wrong opinion regarding your valves. If they said they didn't need adjusting I guess they didn't take the time to even check them. Maybe because they didn't have the experience or service manual that details the procedure because there is a lot of plastic that needs to be removed as well as other parts. The procedure has been detailed by others on this forum.

Well let me assure you they are either tighter than specification (0.003" for the inlets and 0.006" for the exhaust) or they will tighten up over some time.

I did mine and others have noted their experiences. Most postings I saw I noticed that the inlets were tight rather than loose and the exhaust were OK. Makes sense that these little but very important engine components will seat and wear into the valve seats and therefore tighten and not loosen. When I checked mine the inlets were 0.002" ...on the tight side.

I guess you are going to have to take it into them again at 1500 miles to get the valves checked. Don't take this lightly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts