Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several people have shown interest in replacing their Burgman 650 OEM seat with a Russell Day-Long saddle. I recently took this step and wanted to share the price for those who might be interested.

I ordered an all vinyl Russell solo saddle with built–in backrest without pocket. With a solo saddle, Russell totally rebuilds the driver’s seat, while leaving the passenger seat cushioning intact. The entire seat is then recovered with the desired material, in my case vinyl.

$ 525.00 Solo Day-Long Saddle covered in vinyl

$ 45.00 Driver’s seat heavy duty suspension

$ 250.00 Driver’s seat built-in backrest without pocket

$ 75.00 Addition fee charged for XL scooter seats (Applicable to Bergman scooters)

$ 100.00 Cost to ship & insure my OEM seat via UPS to Russell

$ 60.50 Return Shipping & Insurance

$ 1,055.00 Final Cost

I contacted Russell during August and was told that I could ship my seat at any time. It took a week to ship it to them, and another full week to get the rebuilt seat back. It took Russell two weeks to complete the work. Because I wanted to ride my scooter during this time, I bought a second OEM seat on eBay. The cost of the spare seat (with shipping) was an additional $249.37. My intention is to put this seat on my Bergman when I sell it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ouch! So many riders say they are the best there is. What a price, though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like my airhawk cushion even more now.

I have sat on Corbins, Mustangs etc. and have yet to find a seat more comfortable than the cushion. I have never sat on a Russel but for $900 more, I will keep my Airhawk cushion. Best of all I can put it on whatever bike I decide to ride for the day.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I like my airhawk cushion even more now.

I have sat on Corbins, Mustangs etc. and have yet to find a seat more comfortable than the cushion. I have never sat on a Russel but for $900 more, I will keep my Airhawk cushion. Best of all I can put it on whatever bike I decide to ride for the day.
I've had Corbins and others but the Russell I had was head and shoulders better than any other seat I have ever sat on. For them to make it for me, they asked for my height, weight, inseam (I think) and I had to send them a photo with me on the bike as I would sit as I rode it. The only issus I had with it was it was wider than the original and it made my short inseam seem even shorter.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Of all the seat makers, I have not heard anything but good about Russell. I do just a basic re-padding for $130. Have to admit I have not had a chance to try a Russell myself.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a piece of dense foam I cut out the size of my hand, on long rides I tuck it in my jeans and my butt is fine. Beadrider beaded seats didn't do much for us. : (

·
Registered
203 Posts
The cost is outrages for the russel. I went to a upholstery shop and did great, in two days time on my last bike. I have a corbin on my 2012 650,passanger seat is a great improvement over stock, drivers end is only good for a long day (8 hrs +) but I get off each time I fill up the scoot and take a short break. $1055.00....no way.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah it is good tho I found adding the Beadrider still helped on mine. Got mine second hand. It's the all leather with the backrest that is so superb.

I'd never buy it new - too much money but a wandering deer got me a deal.

Rider that was on this board hit the deer at 60 mph - kept the bike up right and rode it home. Insurance wrote it off and I got a deal :D

very reassuring about the Burgman 650s ability to take a hit.

Hey Crowtrapper - I ride in Cairns for 3 months each year - hopefully 6 months next year. I ride the ST1100 and buddy rides the same Burgman I have in Canada.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Several people have shown interest in replacing their Burgman 650 OEM seat with a Russell Day-Long saddle. I recently took this step and wanted to share the price for those who might be interested.

I ordered an all vinyl Russell solo saddle with built–in backrest without pocket. With a solo saddle, Russell totally rebuilds the driver’s seat, while leaving the passenger seat cushioning intact. The entire seat is then recovered with the desired material, in my case vinyl.

$ 525.00 Solo Day-Long Saddle covered in vinyl

$ 45.00 Driver’s seat heavy duty suspension

$ 250.00 Driver’s seat built-in backrest without pocket

$ 75.00 Addition fee charged for XL scooter seats (Applicable to Bergman scooters)

$ 100.00 Cost to ship & insure my OEM seat via UPS to Russell

$ 60.50 Return Shipping & Insurance

$ 1,055.00 Final Cost

I contacted Russell during August and was told that I could ship my seat at any time. It took a week to ship it to them, and another full week to get the rebuilt seat back. It took Russell two weeks to complete the work. Because I wanted to ride my scooter during this time, I bought a second OEM seat on eBay. The cost of the spare seat (with shipping) was an additional $249.37. My intention is to put this seat on my Bergman when I sell it.
By the time you're done your new seat will cost you a hair over $1,300 . that said if it works out I guess it's worth it , especially if you can use it on your next burg . Good luck .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
748 Posts
What I don't understand is how do they know what's just right for you? Sure, it may be better, but it seems luck of the draw wether it's a big improvement. If I could try one, loved it, and buy THAT ONE, i would be less reluctant to drop that much cash. Like you're doing, you plan to buy another Burg after you wear this one out, would be my plan.
Or for that much, I may find a bike that's comfortable stock.......

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My new Russell Day-Long saddle fits me like a glove and is extremely comfortable. It's mandatory to send them a series of photos before they will start construction. One photo must show the customer in the normal driving position, while another must show the customer seated with both feet on the ground. From the photos, Russell determines a number of things needed to custom fit the seat.

My new seat was accompanied by a note from Russell saying they had set the angle and height of the backrest according to measurements taken from the photos I sent. They said I could adjust the backrest if the fit wasn't correct. When I sat on the seat, I found the settings were absolutely perfect and I didn't need to change a thing. The rest of the seat was the same way...absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My new Russell Day-Long saddle fits me like a glove and is extremely comfortable. It's mandatory to send them a series of photos before they will start construction. One photo must show the customer in the normal driving position, while another must show the customer seated with both feet on the ground. From the photos, Russell determines a number of things needed to custom fit the seat.

My new seat was accompanied by a note from Russell saying they had set the angle and height of the backrest according to measurements taken from the photos I sent. They said I could adjust the backrest if the fit wasn't correct. When I sat on the seat, I found the settings were absolutely perfect and I didn't need to change a thing. The rest of the seat was the same way...absolutely perfect.
That's exactly the way it was when I got one for a BMW. It is custom made for the individual. A custom made seat is going to cost more than a generic aftermarket seat just like a custom made suit is more expensive than one off the rack. A few years ago, BMW had horrible seats from the factory and the Russell was worth every penny of the cost. The two BMWs I had already had Corbins on them and they were just moderately acceptable.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I do not remember the last motorcycle I owned that had a decent seat , my Burgman was the same.

I had luck getting Corbin to make me a seat one time, the other two times they were as bad or worse then the stock seats.

A few months ago I was lucky enough to meet up with Cary Vincent
( the go to seat guy for Burgman seats) he was out touring , buying seat material for covers and I hooked up with him.

He took my seat off and installed one of his on my bike , said go ride, see ya later. I did , and now own one of his seats .

It is so much superior to the OEM it's amazing and it cost a lot less than either a Corbin , Russel, DayLong or even a Sargent.
The money saved by getting one of Cary's seats will buy a lot of gas !:D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sorry it's off-topic but MacDoc I thought you'd like this photo taken last week of me and my 650 with my buddy's ST1100.

Surprisingly similar...have you ridden the ST???

••••

I found the Beadrider helped both the ST and the Burgman even with the Daylong on it.

In general IF you can swing the dollars....you'll never regret doing the Daylong.
One note tho - the daylong and a very rigid back protector can be problematic.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Sure glad my butt fits the OEM seat fine. Over a grand for a seat is way out of my price range.;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts